Burn a flag, go to jail.... that's the law.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

Some might counter that flag burning is a slap in the face for every soldier that fought under that flag.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

So you believe it's okay to ban an unpopular opinion...?
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

I've kind of formed the opinion that people who do radical things to protest/change the direction of the American government, without first completely exhausting more civilized paths, are the one's who should be labeled "radicals". Someone who sees a serious problem and really "cares" enough to do something, should care enough to get involved, IMO.
You present an interesting dilemma considering the only way to overturn this would be for someone to burn a flag, get prosecuted successfully, then appeal to the supreme court...

Top wop said:
Well thats very arrogant of you. I havent posted here in weeks and yet you seem to know where I stand. Not to mention your "when your older" comment to Top Gun is very condescending.
The "when your older" comment is normally condescending, but Top Gun started it by calling me immature. Make sense now? ;) Sorry to get your panties in a ruffle top, have a sense of humor will ya ;)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Birds, it's the E&C.. if you lose here, it means the end of the world. don't you know that? :P
1ACE1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 1ACE1 »

I think that flag burners should be heavily punished because its a traitorous violation of state.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

You know what is kind of ironic about this debate on the patriotic value of the flag? Most American flags are stitched together by a Communist Chinese worker making a few cents an hour.

Can I get a Heh?
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Only in Americaâ?¢
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

heh heh
[RIP]Gallows
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Another dumb law

Post by [RIP]Gallows »

You know, I am sick an tired of not being able to get to work because all of those flag burners are stopping me. And whats worse, when I'm trying to get home on the interstate, traffic is at a dead still because of all the hippies burning flags in the fast lane.

I think this law is GREAT! We've needed it for so long because flag burning was really becoming a problem.

Seriously, just how much pollution are we breathing because some pyromaniac wants to get rid of that ripped peice of moldy cloth that has adorned his mailbox since sept 2001?

:wink:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

if you burn your countries flag in protest, you should just move to another country.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

yea that sounds like a good idea. Instead of people fighting for what they believe in, they should just go away.

Brilliant merlin!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

burning a flag is hardly "fighting for what you believe in". If that were the case, they would enter politics, and fight there. They would have a much better chance of exacting change. Yea sure.. we all have the right to complain .. oh wait .. I mean free speech. And that's just it. These folks supposedly want "change" but don't want to REALLY do anything about it.

Demonstrations are fine, that is our right to peacably assemble. But demonstrations are not really that effective. They could also get into media. We all know what kind of power the "press" has.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

CDN_Merlin wrote:if you burn your countries flag in protest, you should just move to another country.
Isn't that how Canadia was born?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

duper, it costs basically a small fortune to get into something like that.. and most people who have that kind of money usually are corrupted by then.

so entering a corrupt system to fix a corrupt system is not that hot of an idea imo.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Demonstrations are fine, that is our right to peacably assemble.
Don't forget to get your permission slip from local law enforcement/city hall!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Moral of the story is, if you want to fix the government, forget it. :)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Fusion pimp wrote:
Demonstrations are fine, that is our right to peacably assemble.
Don't forget to get your permission slip from local law enforcement/city hall!
Otherwise it's off to the segregation area....er free speech zone to do your thing
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

Really when it comes down to it, a flag is a flag. Definition time!

1) A piece of cloth, usually rectangular, of distinctive color and design, used as a symbol, standard, signal, or emblem.
2) National or other allegiance, as symbolized by a flag: ships of the same flag.
3) A ship carrying the flag of an admiral; a flagship.
4) A marking device, such as a gummed strip of paper, attached to an object to attract attention or ease identification; a tab.
5) The masthead of a newspaper.
6) Music. A cross stroke that halves the value of a note to which it is added.
7) A distinctively shaped or marked tail, as of a dog or deer.
8) Computer Science. A variable or memory location that stores true-or-false, yes-or-no information.

Sounds like if you burn a flag, it just means the country lost you/your position. So if you have a guy across seas burning a flag, that makes sense in that case! :oops:

Now, for those people burning flags: If they want to burn the spirit of America, why don't they burn America! Suddenly, it's making more sense! People aren't fighting for a piece of cloth. That is just sick. "The army is fighting for the flag!" Oh, alright, so they are dying so we can say, "Our flag is so cool!" The fact is they are fighting for a way of life. No piece of cloth can hold together a way of life. Now, if you burned the whole country, there's something to be worried about. That destroys lives.

A guy starts a forest fire. People get pissed off because he causes their houses to get burned down. There is economic pressure and people are dying. He gets fined and such.

A guy burns a flag that doesn't spread and only pisses people off. He'll go to jail and lose his freedom by using his freedom in the way he wishes. Keep in mind, no one dies. No one loses property. No economic stress other than that caused by the douche bags who made the law.

Oh, well...

I LOVE BEING OBTUSE FOR FUN! :D
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Vander wrote:You know what is kind of ironic about this debate on the patriotic value of the flag? Most American flags are stitched together by a Communist Chinese worker making a few cents an hour.

Can I get a Heh?
Don't forget Mexico. They've been making our flags for years.

If you ban burning, what's next....banning free speech?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

The proper way to despose of a old flag is by burning it, acording to the us flag code. Im failing to see how this amendment would address that.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

You guys are going to hate me for this. In fact, what I'm about to say may be a thread-killer. But it has to be said.

Flag-burning is expressive speech, and should remain legal to the extent it doesn't violate EPA regs.

BD
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

x2, BD; per my earlier post.
[RIP]Gallows
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [RIP]Gallows »

Top Gun wrote: Palzon, since when did I say that civil disobedience to protest a serious loss of rights is "immature"? What I said was that going out and burning a flag in your yard solely because it was made unconstitutional to do so is petty. To me, that reeks of an adolescent, "I'll do it 'cause they told me not to" mentality. There's a massive difference between a prohibition against buring one object and institutionalized racism. I hope you're able to see that.
Yep, and throwing tea overboard while dressed as an indian was petty and immature but look at what that accomplished.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

dissent wrote:x2, BD; per my earlier post.
Doh. Must have subconsciously turned converted your very clever post into my own, after scanning.

BD
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Hey, wasn't dissin' ya, bro. Was glad to see that we were in agreement; you know more about this sort of thing than I do.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

while it pains me to say this, but:

I agree with BD, one hundred percent!

/dies
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I dunno, he could be deceiving us...boldly.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

Gooberman wrote:I dunno, he could be deceiving us...boldly.
Naah. I used to think it should be outlawed (you can take some solace there, Ferno ;) ), but I studied it a bit and concluded I was wrong.

BD

p.s. BD's Name comes from an Irish song called "Whiskey in the Jar".

As I was a-goin' over Gilgarra mountains
I met Colonel Pepper and his money he was counting
I drew forth my pistol and I rattled my sabre
Saying "stand and deliver, for I am a bold deceiver"
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Duper wrote: But you should be forced to listen to Barry Mantilow indefinately. Naw .. life sentence.

nah... should be forced to listen to AceCombat's ramblings and lies on the DBB for life!! :twisted: :lol:
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I despise American flag burning, but it should be legal. I spend a great deal of energy ensuring that American idiots can burn it in protest if they so choose. I find that to be ironic, but it is true.
Mobius wrote:I'm with Birdseye here. If you make it illegal - it'd pay to invest in flag makers - because it'll become THE symbol of protest to burn it.

And, what if I take a flag with the wrong number of stars and/or stripes, which merely *looks* like the US Flag, and burn it? What then? I guess, if it's burned, it's hard to tell.... but you could video and photograph the flag beforehand...
However, if I see Mobius burning it or anything like it, I will see about rounding up a few of my friends here and bombing his country off the ★■◆●ing planet.....B*itches!!!!! :P
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Sadly, the law will be passed, flags will be burned and inroads into our freedoms will continue to erode at the constitution until freedom fades into our memories as we evolve into beings that require no thinking...only programming...courtesy of our local govt. :wink:

now sit back...enjoy your life. :lol:
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

will_kill wrote:Sadly, the law will be passed
I'll wager you a steak dinner you're wrong. This comes up every few years or so, and getting an amendment to the Constitution is no small feat. The Supreme Court already ruled that flag-burning was expressive speech (protected), so that's what it'll take.

BD
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Bold Deceiver wrote:
will_kill wrote:Sadly, the law will be passed
I'll wager you a steak dinner you're wrong. This comes up every few years or so, and getting an amendment to the Constitution is no small feat. The Supreme Court already ruled that flag-burning was expressive speech (protected), so that's what it'll take.

BD
Hopefully your right... :| but I'm not a gambling man on unsure things :wink: