mouses vs. meeces

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

mouses vs. meeces

Post by max kragen »

I was just wondering...no, actually, I need to know, :) ..which mouse is really better for D3?...trackball(ball under)or laser opt. ??? It seems I just cannot get used to either type....the trackball type causes my aim to be way off(when picking mouse up and relocating it in intense battles(the ball drops approx. 1/8-1/4 inch)which in turn moves my crosshair approx.1 inch on the screen....laser mouse just sux...unreliable...could not get scroll feature to work for scrolling weps...pick it up to relocate in the heat of battle?? heh...may as well just start doin' whirly whirls...ship loses its 'gyro-velocitational anti-gravity drive' bearings. Help please...thx MK

uhhmm...yes, I made that 'drive' name up...but,in my world :P its called the 'G-Vag drive'...not in production..heck, not even invented...but it's fully functional right there within the confines if my mind :P
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Well, it really depends on who you ask zero uses a laser mouse which works quite well for him in fact, but if you ask most mouse users such as crown,birds, or anyone really they mostly say stick to analog (ball mouse) as it gives better control.
Just stick to whatever your comfortable with and youll get used to it, If you need a good brand i recomend logitech.

On a side note i use a logitech wingman gaming mouse, and it has worked wonders since switching from my 10$ pos :)
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Anything from the Logitech MX series (MX310, 510, 518, etc). I'm not sure if you're referring to optical mice or the MX1000 laser mouse in your post, but the MX1000 was too twitchy for my taste (like when picking it up and setting it back down). I used an MX300 for years, then upgraded to a MX310. I like both of em a lot and recommend them.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

I use MX510 optical mouse which has 8 buttons and works well. Before, I had MS Intellimouse Explorer which also worked fine. Underneath, I use a Ratpadz from hardocp.com.

I'm not experiencing scroll problems. As for picking up the mouse a lot, I avoid some of that by redundantly assigning yaw controls to my keypad. I use the mouse for smaller adjustments.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Vindicator wrote:Anything from the Logitech MX series (MX310, 510, 518, etc). I'm not sure if you're referring to optical mice or the MX1000 laser mouse in your post, but the MX1000 was too twitchy for my taste (like when picking it up and setting it back down). I used an MX300 for years, then upgraded to a MX310. I like both of em a lot and recommend them.
Zero has a MX310 i believe, but the one i was reffering to that i use is the wingman gaming mouse which isnt available anymore...... you can try finding it on ebay from time to time, or just try the mouseman, i heard it was pretty similar.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

This on will do nicely :)

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7203
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

The best mouse for D3 is a joystick! :P
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Mobius wrote:The best mouse for D3 is a joystick! :P
Then he wasnt asking you mobius :P
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Behemoth wrote:Well, it really depends on who you ask zero uses a laser mouse which works quite well for him in fact
Behemoth wrote:Zero has a MX310 i believe, but the one i was reffering to that i use is the wingman gaming mouse which isnt available anymore...... you can try finding it on ebay from time to time, or just try the mouseman, i heard it was pretty similar.
As you've just illustrated, people have an annoying tendency to call optical mice "laser mice," which is misleading since theres only one true laser mouse out there (the MX1000). Hence my attempt at clarification.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Vindicator wrote:
Behemoth wrote:Well, it really depends on who you ask zero uses a laser mouse which works quite well for him in fact
Behemoth wrote:Zero has a MX310 i believe, but the one i was reffering to that i use is the wingman gaming mouse which isnt available anymore...... you can try finding it on ebay from time to time, or just try the mouseman, i heard it was pretty similar.
As you've just illustrated, people have an annoying tendency to call optical mice "laser mice," which is misleading since theres only one true laser mouse out there (the MX1000). Hence my attempt at clarification.
Then explain what an optical mouse is please?
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Behemoth wrote:Then explain what an optical mouse is please?
Optical Mouse
Developed by Agilent Technologies and introduced to the world in late 1999, the optical mouse actually uses a tiny camera to take 1,500 pictures every second. Able to work on almost any surface, the mouse has a small, red light-emitting diode (LED) that bounces light off that surface onto a complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) sensor.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question631.htm

* Logitech® MX�1000 Laser Cordless Mouse
If you thought smooth tracking optical sensors were an advancement over mechanical ball-based mice, let us introduce you to the mouse that takes precision and performance to a whole new level: the Logitech® MX�1000 Laser Cordless Mouse, the world's first laser mouse.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... ENTID=9043
Vertigo Zer0
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Vertigo Zer0 »

SuperSheep wrote:
Optical Mouse
Developed by Agilent Technologies and introduced to the world in late 1999, the optical mouse actually uses a tiny camera to take 1,500 pictures every second. Able to work on almost any surface, the mouse has a small, red light-emitting diode (LED) that bounces light off that surface onto a complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) sensor.

If you thought smooth tracking optical sensors were an advancement over mechanical ball-based mice, let us introduce you to the mouse that takes precision and performance to a whole new level: the Logitech® MX�1000 Laser Cordless Mouse, the world's first laser mouse.
I think Agilent Technologies also developed the laser mouse, as well as the infrared optical mouse, which is what the Razer Diamondback Plasma LE is.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

SuperSheep wrote:
Optical Mouse

Thank you for the clarification
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I use an optical mouse now, it beats cleaning the rollers all the time. :) Ball mouse was great, and I didn't have the problem with the ball catching when picking it up to move...the opticals had a problem of registering an inch off the table when they first came out, then they tightened it to about 1/8th or something. I can pick it up and recenter it without affecting the game.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I still would prefer analog over optical.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Why? Seriously, optical mice are light years ahead of ball mice. Never require cleaning, and the movement is so much more precise and consistent.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I currently use a logitech MX-510 (optical) for all my (non-descent) gaming needs. I was an early adopter of optical mice for gaming and I must say that opticals are far superior.

My first optical was a Microsoft, and it replaced a Razer Boomslang. The improvement in accuracy and 'feel' was immediately noticable. And... it never needed to be cleaned... Admittedly, (as Testi noted) picking up & re-centering older opticals could be a problem unless you were fairly precise and consistent with the movement.

Masochists who are still using ball mice really need to try some of the current optical offerings.