Level Night: Stadium Remake

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Level Night: Stadium Remake

Post by Zetal »

Yes, I'm setting another one up. Just a while ago, I released a level called Stadium Night (stadiumrm.mn3) and it finally made it on Planet Descent.

Now, Stadium Night is just Stadium with different lighting and "Twilight" ships. If you haven't seen the level Twilight I released, there were ships with light panels on them in a dark level. If you would like some screenshots here it is. To get a hold of the level, you can visit the link just posted or click here for Planet Descent.

[Update]

Currently, two servers are hosting: The Construct and Crypt1 (FT100 Kills).

[/Update]

Now, I'm planning on having a scheduled play night for Stadium Night (stadiumrm.mn3). Right now I hope to have it on Wednesday August 3, 2005 at 7 PM Central Time.

Any comments, please leave them. Keep an eye on this if you plan to come just in case anything comes up.

See ya in the mines,

Zetal
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

That no BP error actually crashed my server.

Im sorry but Im not going to run it untill you can figure out how to fix that.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

To fix that, he'd need to add stuff the the actual game files of D3, which is illegal. It's also impossible until we get D3's source. Every level that has a modded BP in it WILL crash D3. It's a fact of life, sorry. There's no other way around it. If there was, believe me, there would be at least a few levels that took advantage of it. As-is, there are none. It's either ban the BP from playing by not including it in the table files (which angers a lot of people that normally fly BP, especially in stadium) or crash people's games on exit. Which, since no one plays multiple games of D3 without restarting D3 since PXO went down, isn't that big of a deal.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Bummer *grumble* :evil:

Ild love to run that level. I really like it. But I have freinds that like to use the BP and Im sure not going to keep restarting my server.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

thats actually pretty cool..... i keep forgetting to re-install D3
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

Well, then it seems that The Construct will be the place.

BTW, Stryker, why didn't I notice any crashes during Twilight?

[Added]

Are you saying that the crash is caused at the end of the game? That might make sense. I'm just trying to catch up on this.

[/Added]
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

the crash is after u leave the level.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Yes, once you leave the level it will crash D3. I don't think it does it 100% of the time if you have mercenaries installed, but I'm not sure on that; I've had a couple of reports of crashing from some people that have merc.
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

Stryker wrote:Yes, once you leave the level it will crash D3. I don't think it does it 100% of the time if you have mercenaries installed, but I'm not sure on that; I've had a couple of reports of crashing from some people that have merc.
Guess that explains it for me. I'm a proud owner of Merc, so I guess that's why this is new to me.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Hey wait a second here. Could this be solved if I install the Merc pack on my server machine? If so I actually do have the Merc pack.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

That might solve it nosferatu. In most cases I've seen, installing merc will fix the bug.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

But would that keep the non-Merc user from crashing on exit, as well?
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Unfortunately no. The problem is inherent on all client-side apps, as well as server apps.
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:But would that keep the non-Merc user from crashing on exit, as well?
But you know how the setup is now. It doesn't matter since we don't have PXO. So getting kicked out each time is just speeding up the process and it doesn't effect the other people.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Im going to give installing Merc on the server machine a try to see if that will prevent it from dieing when players exit.

I was busy all day today and couldnt get to it. Ill give it a try when I can get some time.
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

Alright, sounds good. :):) Hopefully, we can get that issue fixed up so you can do any future levels with my Twilight ships.
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

So does this make the ships a little easier to see? With the regular stadium sometimes its hard for me to see the ships when I"m in the big room, all that gray on gray.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Ill tell ya, when I played in there, the BPs might as well have painted a bright neon red target on themselves. :P
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

OK I just tried installing Mercs on my server machine. Unfortunately my server machine is a Linux machine running the server under wine. No matter what I tried, Mercs kept on telling me that there was no valid Descent 3 installed, even though technically, it IS a valid windows based Descent 3 installation. *grumble* I wonder if that old "use the BP" patch might do it. Anyone know if that still exists somewhere on the net?

EDIT: OK I found the bpjustice patch on the Team NUB website. Lets see if applying that will keep the server from barfing on the level. :P
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

that bp patch is the one i use, it will still mess up.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Well you were right. The server barfed on it :x

Oh well. Back to moles v1.1
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I had another interesting idea that I want to try sometime. My Linux machine may run my server and there is a problem trying to get Mercs installed using wine. But I have the harddrive accessable to my windows machine through a Samba connection. It may be possible to either install Mercs using the Samba connection, or its possible I could copy my entire Descent3 directory from my Windows machine to the server directory on the Linux machine, with the Mercs package already installed.

Could be worth a try. :P

If Im ever sitting around, bored someday Ill try it out.

EDIT: I dont believe it. It installed with out problem over the Samba network link.

EDIT2: OK that didnt fix a dam thing. I keep getting something about it not being able to find PyroGLG.oof Ive been told that there should be 16 oof files in my base directory. I dont have one. But everything works.

EDIT3: Using hog2workshop and extracting the oof files to the parent directory from the mn3 file, fixed the problem.
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

Well, I didn't get to make it to the game night everyone. My joystick broke down on me when I was playing earlier yesterday on that level. Basically, I can't stop spinning right. Too bad I didn't get in on the fun. ;)

See you all around.

[A few hours later...]

I just fixed my joystick! :D:D I worked my way in and re-alined a sensor piece that must have been off-center (Precision Pro). So I'm back! :P

[/A few hours later...]
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

BTW now that I have the level running stabley its not seeing a whole heck of alot of traffic as compared to other regular Stadiums. Comeon folks, (Crypt1) is up and running to get used, so be my guest. :P