Jeees some take the game too seriously.

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Jeees some take the game too seriously.

Post by Nosferatu »

I was just in a fairly enjoyable game. I was getting beaten pretty handly fair and square. But I was getting a few of my own kills, too which this individual began a rant of 'omg', 'sad' and 'buy a packet dude'. I wont mention names but that should sound familliar.

Jeeees if an individual is winning why cant they just enjoy the game? Ya there were kills that maybe he should have had. There were also kills that I should have had. But until he started mouthing off I was having a good time.

:roll:
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

This sort of thing isnâ??t new, and I wouldnâ??t pay to much attention to it either. Iâ??ve came a cross a few assholes when I played D3. Nothing you can do about it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Lag always has been a part of this game. I've seen some crazy things. Most notably getting hit in the face with a mega and get little more than a bump out of it. :?

I agree Nos, it's silly and it's one reason I don't play that much anymore. I'm not super competitive, but I play to have fun.

It would be nice if this person would buy us ALL OC3 connections so he could get his kills.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Duper wrote:Most notably getting hit in the face with a mega and get little more than a bump out of it. :?
I've mastered how to do that on purpose, with homers as well :D Very easy, actually. I should demonstrate it. I *do* have DSL so it's not as much the lag that lets me do it.

Forget about it Nos, just enjoy.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Ya I agree. Hope he doesnt quit all together. I got pretty nasty with him in chat after.

BTW I know this individual all too well. Hes mouthed off like that before, but I just let it slide, usually because there were a number of other players playing.

But when he started mouthing off when it was just me and him, I blew a gasket.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

The "Mega Bounce" is easy to explain: the collision detection for the "bounce" is client-side, but the collision detection for the actual Mega impact is server-side.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I do it by reversing and facing the missle at the same time. It has a lower impact speed (which makes no difference, I know) and 70% of the time it doesn't register and works. All I get is a knock.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

It's still lag-related though. By backing away from the missile you're increasing the amount of time it between the missile hitting you on your screen and the missile hitting you on the server. The hit on your screen is what triggers the bounce. So if you bounce far enough back before the missile *ACTUALLY* hits you on the server, you'll take no damage.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

from Mobius' Planetdescent link:
So, yes, it's true 56K users, you *do* have a "lag shield". This means that your connection to the server is so bad, and so unstable that the "collision detection" routine on the D3 server fails to work correctly on your ship - and when you *do* get hit on the server, you often drop the damage packets (repeatedly!) sent to you.
I thought there was no such thing as 'dropping damage packets', that they were sent as reliable packets and that you would disconnect if you do not receive them. Am I wrong on this?
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

You want to know what the funny thing is? He was playing on one of my servers and he knew he was playing on one of my servers and I still got the "buy a packet dude" comment. He wasnt complaining about my shots hitting first. He was complaining about ME dropping packets. :lol:
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Duper wrote:It would be nice if this person would buy us ALL OC3 connections so he could get his kills.

that would be nice of him wouldnt it :lol: :wink:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Nosferatu wrote:You want to know what the funny thing is? He was playing on one of my servers and he knew he was playing on one of my servers and I still got the "buy a packet dude" comment. He wasnt complaining about my shots hitting first. He was complaining about ME dropping packets. :lol:
PWND! :lol:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Nosferatu wrote:You want to know what the funny thing is? He was playing on one of my servers and he knew he was playing on one of my servers and I still got the "buy a packet dude" comment. He wasnt complaining about my shots hitting first. He was complaining about ME dropping packets. :lol:
My normal reply to someone telling me to buy a packet, or catch a packet is to tell them I might buy a few or catch a few if they would properly send them in the first place. ;)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

just quit playing with candyass, problem solved
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

LOL!
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Nice one, Matt. :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Hehe

Either him or New One; the difference is that Candyass is serious. ;)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Even easier, start using Permissible C/S instead... like EVER other Game!!! So the only one you can complain about lag or loss to is yourself :P
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Sm0ke n00bz and be merry, for tomorrow, you get 0wned. =P
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

This sounds like someone I've played actually. :P

No one has ever told me to buy a packet or whatever though. :P Mostly, I would get the title hacker.