Need help researching Big Screen TV's.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Need help researching Big Screen TV's.

Post by WarAdvocat »

I'm in the market for a big-screen TV, and quite frankly, I'm confused. Too many options, with wildly varying prices, options and features.

I'm looking to buy a median-priced unit, which I plan to use in conjunction with an HTPC/DVR. I would choose function over size, ie: If there's a 52 inch, feature-rich unit or a real basic 60 inch unit for a similar price, I'd choose the one with more features/flexibility.

So... where's the smart money? Rear projection LCD? DLP? Plasma? Anyone have any models etc to suggest? Or even a website with a primer on these things to allow me to make up my own mind?
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

I'd recommend a projector - for about the same money as rear projection you get an adjustable size picture up to a 100 inch diagonal. Works fine with a computer - that's how I use mine. I have a sanyo plv-z2, which I like.

projector pros:
- bigger picture than any TV.
- can be portable with a roll up screen.
- adjustable size picture.

projector cons:
- sensitive to ambient light.
- requires more thought in setting it up; you might need a ceiling mount or a strategically placed bookcase.

This site has a lot of info on the ins and outs of projectors:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/

Another site that's more oriented towards HTPCs:

http://www.htpcnews.com/
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Thanks for the suggestion, but the ambient light issue is the stopper for me with regards to projectors.

Given that, the question is: How do I get the most bang for the buck?

I've thus far discovered that plasmas fade, as do CRT's and that both can get image burn-in.

What are the pros and cons of DLP and LCD technologies in large screen TV's? And what's the story with the varying HDTV standards?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I'd stay away from the RCA and Philips brands. Utter ★■◆●.

That being said, I wouldn't go for plasma anything simply because of the lifetime. Why spend two or three grand on a TV that'll only last five years? If you REALLY want a flat TV, go for LCD. Not as sharp a picture by comparison (comparing them up close, you can see the difference...but I doubt you'd see it sitting on the couch), but it has three times the lifetime.

Features: If it doesn't have DVI or HDMI inputs, don't buy it. (Preferably both since you want to hook up your computer to it.) Make SURE it has a built-in HD tuner, unless you feel like spending a couple hundred bucks on a tuner box. Also, make damn sure it has component imputs. (RGB over three RCA plugs, which is strictly video. Same idea as s-video, but thicker cable.) You're gonna want to use component for your DVD player so you'll be able to use progressive scan, which is an absolute MUST for big screens.
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

heres a useful link http://www.avforums.com/ helps to sort out whats working n what isnt.
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

MD-2389 wrote:Make SURE it has a built-in HD tuner, unless you feel like spending a couple hundred bucks on a tuner box
As far as I'm concerned, in most cases the built-in HD tuner is a waste of money. The only time you'd use that is if you were pulling HD signals over the airwaves. If you have cable or satellite TV, the receiver box you use IS the tuner.

We just bought a rear projection Hitachi last year and like it very much. Mitsubishi also makes an excellent product.

If you have the space, the projection systems DO have some advantages. First, they're a lot less money. Second, you don't need a separate stand that generally costs a lot if you go the matching route. Third, the top is usually big enough to accommodate your DVD, VCR, cable box, etc.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

War: the best guy to talk to about this would be Canuck. he's got his own home theatre business going and he'll point you in the right direction.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Herculosis wrote:As far as I'm concerned, in most cases the built-in HD tuner is a waste of money. The only time you'd use that is if you were pulling HD signals over the airwaves. If you have cable or satellite TV, the receiver box you use IS the tuner.
Not every cable company issues set-top boxes.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Thanks guys. I'm learning more and more every day.

Example: DLP, while it may have the best picture quality to cost ratio, can give some people headaches, and that others see flashes of 'rainbow light' on a DLP set.

Confusion reigns, but here's the plan: I just re-did my dining room & living room furniture. The new sectional sofa will be delivered in 4-6 weeks (backorder on the fabric). Shortly after the sofa is delivered, I want to purchase a new big screen TV so that I can finish that room (and the choice of TV determines whether I need additional furniture such as a stand / entertainment center etc.)

So the tech aspect, unfortunately, is only part of the equation here. Admittedly, a LARGE part. At this point in time it looks like an LCD-based TV in the 50-60 inch range is what's in store due to the drawbacks of Plasma and DLP technologies.

Any further commentary would be appreciated.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

If you have the room, you might want to look at this one: click me. Kumba got a VERY similar one, only his is 1080p (progressive scan at HD resolution). I've personally gone over the one I linked to in-store, and its a really nice set.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Linky no workie says session has expired :(
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

For 32 " LCD;
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/deskt ... tv/n3250w/

Has every input you need and an 12 ms. response time... best bang for your buck and a good warranty.

40" LCD;

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/deskt ... tv/n4050w/
25 ms, but very vivid color, high nits (brightness), and again every input you'll ever need.

Oh and do yourself a favour and check out the Panasonic 50" rear projection DLP PT-50DL54
;
http://www.panasonic.com/flash.html

Also if you have regular cable or vcr tapes... get one of these to smooth out the rough edges;
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tvent ... tvisionn6/

Again best bang for the buck for the processing power you get. The remote for this unit is cheesy and sucks, so get a harmony universal remote to control all your gear; http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page= ... &CRID=2078

Want bigger? Then Look at LCD rear projection;
http://www.tvauthority.com/LCD-Rear-Pro ... ion-TV.asp
Especially the Sony 50", really nice picture on those.

Hope this helps.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

WarAdvocat wrote:Linky no workie says session has expired :(
Dammit, I hate it when they pull that crap. The TV I linked to is a Samsung HC-R4755W.
Sams Club Website wrote: Model: HC-R4755W
The Samsung HC-R4755W projection HDTV with integrated tuner is designed for those who are looking to transform a moderate-sized room into a home theater at an affordable price. With its 47" widescreen viewing area set in a smart-looking, compact flat screen design, making it the perfect choice for big screen for those replacing a 32" to 36" direct view TV. Whether it's DVDs, sports or movies, the HC-R4755W delivers outstanding widescreen performance. At the heart of the set, Samsung's RealFlect video system drives high contrast, robust colors and inviting detail. Samsung's Auto Self Focus auto convergence system corrects picture focus at a push of a button. The 30W stereo audio system delivers ample sound for sports and movies.

Item: 713840

Features
# Picture Display: 47â?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Wow. I went out & looked at TV's today, and I must say the Sony Grand WEGA widescreen LCD projection TV's impressed me. The only disappointing thing is a lack of a true DVI input.

I need to look at more televisions before I make a decision, as it looks like the overall width of the set is going to be an issue as well.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Up at the college I saw a TV, about as wide as you can stretch your arms and half as tall. I'd guess 6" thick or thereabouts. Wall-mounted. The picture was crisp...very crisp. It's a NEC PlasmaSync 50MP1. I know nothing about it, so you're going to have to check online for specs. But damn was the picture nice.

(I say this and I despise the trash that they arrogantly call HDTV's nowadays. Atrocious. Every one I've seen was unnacceptably blurry, and these are top brands (Sony, Zenith, whatever), installed in quality establishments. Out of about 100 TV's I've seen, this NEC is the only one I'd consider buying. I wouldn't piss on the rest. I was accosted by a saleperson in a store who was trying to get me to look at this $10000 8' wide HDTV. It was the worst looking thing I've seen. I laughed him right out of the display area.)