history of gaming, `cough cough we,er still here`

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

history of gaming, `cough cough we,er still here`

Post by suicide eddie »

mmm looks like someone didnt do thier homework, http://www.tomshardware.com/game/200508 ... es-01.html
we were doing this with descent 2 years earlier. anyone else fancy griping to the editor?.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Doom too, but you know, none of them supported Internet multiplayer out of the box?

And it's not the history of gaming. It's the history of wargames.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

THG wrote:The first truly three-dimensional FPS, Quake introduced a level of graphical realism and control that was previously unattainable.
Is that the line in question?
Buef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Buef »

That article was crap.

Having TCP/IP support is not exactly what I would call having 'internet mutilplayer' out of the box. You still needed a program like Gamespy, Kali or Mplayer and the likes. Most people didnt even know how to get thier IP, much less set up a game with it. So if enabler programs are needed, whats the difference between playing via TCP or IPX? None in my book, therefore they missed a lot of games like Duke, ROTT and such that were playable far earlier.
Tribes was the first game to support 'true' internet multiplay out of the box as it was the first to have a server list in game.

If you want a good read, go find 'Masters of Doom', it is now in paperback.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Buef wrote:whats the difference between playing via TCP or IPX? None in my book
The difference is quite large when you think about it, in order to play a IPX game over the internet (such as Descent 1 or 2) the IPX packets from the game have to be wrapped in TCP/IP by an external program (KALI). This will make the packets larger then they were before, which increses lag and bandwidth use. TCP/IP support is the major requirement to internet play so it is safe to say it qualifies. Most games can work with external game lists today, but also have their own internal server lists. You don't NEED gamespy, kali or mplayer, but you can use them if you want.
Buef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Buef »

I realize the technical difference, but the entire sentence was 'So if enabler programs are needed, whats the difference between playing via TCP or IPX? None in my book' Key part being that an enabler program was needed for most people playing back then. Groups connecting to a known IP they got from members of thier group or off of a server list on quakeworld or even hosted by thier ISP and such is still not true 'multiplayer out of the box' as additional knowladge is needed unlike later games which had a server list in the game itself. In THAT respect, the protocal used was not important.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

IMME(in my minds eye) Doom wuz and still is pure 'carp'...heh :) Oh, and as I'm sure some of you will agree, so is the author of that articles mind. :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I'd say that despite the fact that you needed to run QuakeSpy in order to find a server, QuakeWorld (1996) was the first truly out-of-the-box Internet gameplay experience. It didn't require a program to trick the game into thinking the Internet was a LAN, as Descent did.