DVI or VGA?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

DVI or VGA?

Post by Gammaray »

guess the topic sums it up.

I just picked up a samsung flat panel display and it has both DVI and VGA inputs. which is better?

I have both outputs on my video card, so the only thing I need to do is buy an extra cable if it's worth it.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

DVI

"Digital Video Input"

VGA is just a digital signal converted to analog, so in theory you loose image quality.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

MD-2389 wrote:DVI
x2
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

DVI all the way. Although I have a Samsung as well and have nevre tried the vga. But dvi is strictly digital with no analog conversion.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Like MD said, DVI dodges an analog-to-digital conversion inside the monitor. The signal also stays cleaner over a longer distance.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

DVI, because you won't ever have to adjust the screen.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

DVI.

BUT, to muddy the waters somewhat, it's necessary to raise the subject of the TMDS transmitter on the GFx card: the transmitter must meet the DVI spec, which displays as an "eye shape" on the oscilloscope.

The spec is pretty strict on what passes, and unfortunately, most DVI output stages do NOT pass the spec.

This means it is highly unlikely that any DVI GFx card/Screen combo you have is actually performing within the strict range of acceptable curves in the DVI spec.

It's time some of the hardware sites started to really test the DVI output of review items, as regards meeting the spec, because the image quality of a card which DOES meet the spec, is substantially higher than one which does NOT.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

Thanks for the enlightenment guys, much appreciated. :)