Cannabis drug available in the UK = LOL

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Cannabis drug available in the UK = LOL

Post by Mobius »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4438498.stm
...the drug would cost patients approximately £4 a day.
LOL. 4 quid a day is around $12 New Zealand dollars. So let me get this right: if you want the pain relieving qualities of pot, you can import a drug, which is derived from cannabis, but with only 2 of the 423 different psychoactive drugs found in cannabis. You can do this for $12 a day (or $4380 a year).

OR - you can buy 6 ounces of premium pot for $1800 per year which will last the entire year, quell the pain better than some stupid extract, and give you a nice little high at the same time.

If you didn't like the idea of smoking the weed, you could cook it in clarfied butter, strain it and bake with it.

This is so freaking funny. I mean, I can understand some people might have qualms about taking cannabis in its natural form, for pain relief. Some may be strongly against the health risks of smoking ANYTHING, and some may not have any experience with pot at all - and hence be rather apprehensive - but answer me this:

What the bloody hell difference is extracting the two most active chemicals in pot, and putting it in a spray, as compared to simply smoking pot (or taking it in another form)? You still get the two main chemicals, and those chemicals are strongly psychoactive, and hence provide the brain with a nice little high.

You simply can't tell me this drug doesn't give people a nice, albeit mild high. The exact same effect can be had by taking one, or two hits on a bong. The only difference is that 2 hits probably cost on the order of 50 cents to 1 dollar.

From my own personal experience, I know the pain relieving qualities of smoking pot. I have a destroyed left ankle, and a regular (but low!) dose of pot smoke makes a simply HUGE difference to the amount of pain I experience every step I take.

I think it's morally reprehensible to suck money froma group of people - by letting them take an expensive drug - lining the pockets of pharmaceutical companies in the process - which is illegal to take in its natural form.

Any fool can see that the answer is simply to let these people smoke, or ingest pot for the control of their pain.

Hell, if you've ever taken anti-inflammatories like Voltaren (which eats the lining of your stomach, and can cause very unpleasant side effects) or Vioxx (Which increases the risk of myocardial infarction -heart attack- in susceptible people) or Celebrex (similar to Vioxx, and probably has the same increase in heart attack risk. I take this one when I'm in agony - and that's probably twice a month) then you'll know that while pot may not be the ideal form of treatment in terms of health risk, the side effects are minimal in comparison to the major drugs which are promoted and sold at a price which far exceeds a natural substance which already provides pain relief to many tens of thousands of people in pain.

It's funny isn't it? Going to all that trouble and expense of extracting the active ingredients in pot, just to put it in a bottle and sell it at 8-10 times the going rate for high quality pot.

It's also funny that a government is happy to allow people to use this product for pain relief, but prosecute them for using the exact same drug, but one which does not generate any tax revenue.

★■◆●ing hypocritical wankers!
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Like the Simpsons episode:

Homer: "Isn't pot, "or dope", illegal?"

Dr. Hibbert: "Only for those that enjoy it"

If the govt can't regulate it, it's illegal. If they can regulate it...they make money off of it. So be it. BTW, 6 ounces last you a year? What do you do, take little baby one hits or something?
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

those are new zealand ounces, duh ;)
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

6oz/yr is around 1/2 a gram per day. Thats probably enough for 2 or 3 joints a day. I think thats enough to keep most people pretty freakin hi... uh, medicated.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

heh, Zuruck must get the schwagg.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

ah yeah i read about this spray today.

what's weird about it is that the spray seems to have been developed with the advantages of inhalation in mind. There is another older drug in pill form called Marinol which also contains THC, but patients who were on it complained how stupid it was to be taking the drug for appetite stimulation (a much loved effect of THC) when they just THREW UP THE PILLS - smoking cannabis was so much better for them.

so now as you read in Mobo's OP, they have an inhalation spray version now, called Sativex. Yet did you notice it's currently only available for MS (multiple sclerosis) patients? but MS patients don't need to take cannabis (or it's seperate active ingredients) for appetite stimulation, they take it for it's ability to calm the motor nervous system and reduce the severity of seizures.
Patients with wasting diseases or conditions like those with AIDs or Cancer - these would be the ones who would benefit most from a Spray delivery of THC rather than pills (well... of course they will find it better again to just burn cannabis and inhale the smoke duh) but they arn't allowed to have it in UK! only MS patients are getting it.

edit: it seems that in Spain Sativex is available for all kinds of ailments, not just MS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sativex
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

heh, get 'em Mobi! :P :wink:

seriously, nice thread though....I bet that dude Montel had something to do with the latest spray version being implemented here in the states for MS patients.

And BTW, I smoke on average one gram a day, to combat pain from metal parts in my body left over from reconstructive surgery.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I have steel and titanium bolts in my knees ... do I qualify for a prescription?
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

well, i used a calculator to figure some things and i guess that's right...it is a good amount of dope. it just didn't sound like that much...
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Cannabis drug available in the UK = LOL

Post by Robo »

Mobius wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4438498.stm
****ing hypocritical wankers!
I never thought I'd have to say this, to be honest...

STFU Mobi, go correct some grammar or something.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Cannabis drug available in the UK = LOL

Post by roid »

Robo wrote:
Mobius wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4438498.stm
****ing hypocritical wankers!
I never thought I'd have to say this, to be honest...

STFU Mobi, go correct some grammar or something.
:? what's the problem guvnah?

they (the powers that be) are hypocritical wankers because they keep it illegal to take cannabis INCLUDING FOR MEDICAL PURPOSES, while allowing a medication which is essentially just cannabis in a spray form.
It's the pharmaceutical companys that are most at risk from cannabis being legalised, because it can't be PATENTED, and is better than a lot of their medications. the story of Lithium is similar. the story of TONS of natural remedys is similar.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

It probably can be patented. People are patenting DNA configurations these days.

It can't be legalized because it's a terrible political descision, internally and internationally. Rule #1 is don't get voted out.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Cannabis itself can't be patented, but if made into a form of a pill.....then yeah. The PILL can be patented.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Iceman wrote:I have steel and titanium bolts in my knees ... do I qualify for a prescription?

were talkin alot more than a few bolts here...
try 2 .25x10" rods placed in my lower back with bolts and nuts to hold upper portion of my pelvis....

also, 2 3"x5" plates for lower portion of pelvis, nuts and bolts included :wink:

I won't soon forget the screws in my face from gettin blindsided by a lead pipe either....

let's cap it off with the nuts and bolts in my left leg from a high school football injury.

how many think I should take some kind of pain reliever?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

will_kill wrote:how many think I should take some kind of pain reliever?
That depends, does any of that still hurt?
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

honestly...just the lower back portion.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

will_kill wrote:
Iceman wrote:I have steel and titanium bolts in my knees ... do I qualify for a prescription?

were talkin alot more than a few bolts here...
try 2 .25x10" rods placed in my lower back with bolts and nuts to hold upper portion of my pelvis....

also, 2 3"x5" plates for lower portion of pelvis, nuts and bolts included :wink:

I won't soon forget the screws in my face from gettin blindsided by a lead pipe either....

let's cap it off with the nuts and bolts in my left leg from a high school football injury.

how many think I should take some kind of pain reliever?
will is a total beast... and yet such a nice guy!

have my babies