NSA thing???

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Ferno wrote:....they're angry because he didn't go through the proper channels.....
That's just the point right there! Where do you get your opinion of what proper channels are? So far you only quote opinion of anti-Bush talking heads!
I quoted the actual courts who are the authority on what the proper channels are!

In spite of John Deans belabored attempt to equate Nixons wiretapping to Bush's wiretapping anyone who even glances at the two scenarios would recognize that Nixon tapping political enemies is not the same as Bush data mining for keywords in calls to or from phones that were logged on the memory chip of a captured al Queda leaders cell phone!! Because although John Dean managed to leave that part out, that is exactly what started this whole thing!

Here's the detail from your John Dean article: "Actions which otherwise would be unconstitutional, could become lawful if undertaken for the purpose of preserving the Constitution and the Nation."

You see, Nixon tapped political enemies and tried to hide behind the presidential authority to bypass the law in pursuit of foriegn threats and Bush bypassed the law to...well..to pursue foriegn threats!
Do you see how one is within the realm of the presidents inherent authority and one is not?!?

And finally, you may make excuses as to why you won't address the questions I asked but if you ever did you would see how your argument is based on political spin and mine is based on the actual courts documented comments regarding the issue!

In the words of the actual courts who were charged with determining the constitutionality of the FISA and Patriot Act legislation as it pertains to the presidents authority they specifically stated that the president has inherent authority to bypass the legislation if he's pursuing foriegn threats and they specifically stated that these laws can not supercede that inherent authority!.

So I ask you again, what case history, what courts, what statements from the congressional record, what past administrations do you site as your source for your opposing position?
Because they are the ones who are the real authority on the subject! Their precedent and their rulings and the whole long history of congress' recognition of, and documenting respect for a presidents inherent authority are the factors that determine the constitutionality of Bush'a actions!!
If this case ever makes it there the Supreme Court will look to those factors to make their determination, not ex-Nixon administration lawyer now felon-for-his-part-in-Watergate who found new life in the media as a Bush antagonist. Nor Tom Daschle ex-Democrat party leader....nor any other talking head.

Give me an example of any actual legal authority on the subject who agrees with you instead of political hacks and I'll consider your position, but so far you can only find political opinion instead of a legitimate constitutional authority or legislative documentation that supports your position!

That glaring lack of legitimate legal support should clue you in to the actual weak foundation of your argument...

So as you said "The law is the law, pal." and Dean and Daschle and the rest of the polical punditry do not make the law!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

heh. You do realize you've been reduced to repeating the same information and filibustering?

Proper channels? The proper channels are the courts.

Also, you keep saying that all i'm doing is quoting anti-bush talking heads. In essence, character assasination.

So you tell me.. If you actually have something of substance, why act the same way as the people you dislike?

I can see where this is going to end up. no matter what lawmaker, news story, or other source I quote; you'll dismiss it as an 'anti-bush talking head'.

We'll see who's right in the coming months.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Ferno wrote:heh. You do realize you've been reduced to repeating the same information and filibustering?

Proper channels? The proper channels are the courts....
Yes! Exactly! And yes, I've been repeatedly telling you to look at the record of the court that has ruled that the FISA legislation can not supercede the presidents inherent authority to order these wire taps!
Glad you managed to stumble into the truth even though you apparantly still don't know it....
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

If you thought this was a 'case A and Case B' thing, that's not it. That was asking the impossible. Ihis is your typical right and wrong situation. and it's pretty clear that it's just wrong.

The president can't do anything he damn well pleases just because he's the president. If you think that he can do whatever he wants just because he has a title, I pity you.

The checks and balances were there for a reason.

Here's a piece from a texas republican. Mr. Lamar Smith.

\"When someone is elected president, they receive the greatest gift possible from the American people, their trust. To violate that trust is to raise questions about fitness for office. My constituents often remind me that if anyone else in a position of authority -- for example, a business executive, a military officer of a professional educator -- had acted as the evidence indicates the president did, their career would be over. The rules under which President Nixon would have been tried for impeachment had he not resigned contain this statement: \"The office of the president is such that it calls for a higher level of conduct than the average citizen in the United States.\"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ferny, Will is not saying the President can do what ever he wants. Will is pointing out that the President is doing what prior presidents did and what the courts say he can do. So lets not paint Bush as some sort of fascist dictator run amuck.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Ferno wrote:If you thought this was a 'case A and Case B' thing, that's not it. That was asking the impossible. Ihis is your typical right and wrong situation. and it's pretty clear that it's just wrong.

The president can't do anything he damn well pleases just because he's the president....
Right and wrong based on the law or just based on your feelings?
Because you haven't been able to show me where he actually went against the law.
The law you have implied he broke was authored and introduced with the specific caveat that, in the case of presidential authority, the law was not designed to usurp the presidents inherent authority! That was in 1978...then in 2002 the court that oversee's the FISA court ruled that the Patriot Act and the FISA court do not supercede the presidents inherent authority! In between 1978 and 2002 everything every presidents administration did and every thing each congress supported and everything every court ruled on is consistant with that position!

Please read that part again until it sinks in because those little details hold a lot more weight than anything you have offered in opposition!
Basically the constitution, the courts and the congress have all suported and recognized the presidents inherent authority to do something like order warrentless searches in pursuit of foriegn threats...

As to the red herring you keep throwing out there that "The president can't do anything he damn well pleases just because he's the president"
We've already covered this, I never said he had the authority to do anything he wants, he does however have the authority to order warrentless searches in pursuit of foriegn threats!

Recent polling doesn't support your assertion that this is "just wrong".... the precedent set in court doesn't support that..... the congress hasn't ever supported that position.... the authors of the law when they introduced it specifically said the law 'can not usurp the presidents authority'...every administration before Bush has held that they have this inherent authority and many of them have used it and no one ever challenged them on it!

So the only thing that is "pretty clear" is that you don't like it and have no legal or even historical foundation to support your feelings! And posting all the editorials by all the pundits in the world won't change the fact that, in spite of your fears, this is within his authority!

Show me where he used these wire taps to listen in on political opponents a la Nixon and I'll rethink my position but if all they did was data mine for key words to try to locate al Queda cells then I'm perfectly happy with this program!
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Here's a guess as to just what these wiretaps have been like, or as the author calls it:

\"A hypothetical portrait of the lifecycle of a warrantless wiretap\"
The process begins in Afghanistan or Berlin or Cairo, when a known Al Qaeda associate coughs up his cell phone or address book or calling records, or stops in at a house and uses the phone, or pisses in an alley two blocks over from a restaurant with a phone line.

However it happens, a set of numbers with some vague association to terrorism is acquired, and transferred to the NSA. The NSA takes those numbers and adds them to a large master list. That master list is a filter; it fords the great gushing torrent of conversation (every international call that passes through a US facility), calls to and from marked numbers duplicated on over to the NSA.

When a US phone number calls, or is called by, a number on the master list, that phone is immediately and automatically tapped. At whatever [redacted] NSA facility, the agents on call (and, as we have heard so many times, their shift supervisor), are notified of the existence of the tap. Large, fancy computer programs begin to analyze the calling patterns of the number in question, and the content of conversations held on that line. After some while (probably not that long: them clever computers) the operative and his supervisor are informed that this number is 96 or 98 or 99% certain to NOT be a “dirty number” used by terrorists, or the terrorist adjacent. At that point, the shift supervisor makes the decision to hit “stop”, and the tap is ended.

Or alternatively, the computer can’t attain that level of certainty, and the tap remains, indefinitely, periodically monitored by live humans, but mostly just run through automated speech analysis. If the tapped line makes a lot of calls to some other international number, that number might end up on the master list, and the process begins all over again, one step removed.

So there you go. Again, I’m speculating, but it’s a pretty good bet that they’re doing this or something like it. It’s neither particularly new nor particularly difficult technology, and has been used to different ends by private industry for many years.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

And since you seem to prefer opinion to fact here's an opinion from the other side of this debate I think you should consider because they raise some very important points:
Vital Presidential Power

By William Kristol and Gary Schmitt

Tuesday, December 20, 2005; Page A31

A U.S. president has just received word that American counterterrorist operatives have captured a senior al Qaeda operative in Pakistan. Among his possessions are a couple of cell phones -- phones that contain several American phone numbers. In the wake of Sept. 11, 2001, what's a president to do?

If the president were taking the advice offered by some politicians and pundits in recent days, he would order the attorney general to go to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. The attorney general would ask that panel of federal judges for a warrant under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) to begin eavesdropping on those telephone numbers, to determine whether any individual associated with those numbers was involved in terrorist activities.

But the attorney general might have to tell the president he might well not be able to get that warrant. FISA requires the attorney general to convince the panel that there is \"probable cause to believe\" that the target of the surveillance is an agent of a foreign power or a terrorist. Yet where is the evidence to support such a finding? Who knows why the person seized in Pakistan was calling these people? Even terrorists make innocent calls and have relationships with folks who are not themselves terrorists.

The difficulty with FISA is the standard it imposes for obtaining a warrant aimed at a \"U.S. person\" -- a U.S. citizen or a legal alien: The standard suggests that, for all practical purposes, the Justice Department must already have in hand evidence that someone is a problem before they seek a warrant.

Consider the case of Zacarias Moussaoui, the French Moroccan who came to the FBI's attention before Sept. 11 because he had asked a Minnesota flight school for lessons on how to steer an airliner, but not on how to take off or land. Even with this report, and with information from French intelligence that Moussaoui had been associating with Chechen rebels, the Justice Department decided there was not sufficient evidence to get a FISA warrant to allow the inspection of his computer files. Had they opened his laptop, investigators might have begun to unwrap the Sept. 11 plot. But strange behavior and merely associating with dubious characters don't rise to the level of probable cause under FISA.

This is presumably one reason why President Bush decided that national security required that he not simply follow the strictures of the 1978 foreign intelligence act, and, indeed, it reveals why the issue of executive power and the law in our constitutional order is more complicated than the current debate would suggest. It is not easy to answer the question whether the president, acting in this gray area, is \"breaking the law.\" It is not easy because the Founders intended the executive to have -- believed the executive needed to have -- some powers in the national security area that were extralegal but constitutional.

Following that logic, the Supreme Court has never ruled that the president does not ultimately have the authority to collect foreign intelligence -- here and abroad -- as he sees fit. Even as federal courts have sought to balance Fourth Amendment rights with security imperatives, they have upheld a president's \"inherent authority\" under the Constitution to acquire necessary intelligence for national security purposes. (Using such information for criminal investigations is different, since a citizen's life and liberty are potentially at stake.) So Bush seems to have behaved as one would expect and want a president to behave.
(continued below)
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

(continued from above)
A key reason the Articles of Confederation were dumped in favor of the Constitution in 1787 was because the new Constitution -- our Constitution -- created a unitary chief executive. That chief executive could, in times of war or emergency, act with the decisiveness, dispatch and, yes, secrecy, needed to protect the country and its citizens.

That is why the president uniquely swears an oath -- prescribed in the Constitution -- to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. Implicit in that oath is the Founders' recognition that, no matter how much we might wish it to be case, Congress cannot legislate for every contingency, and judges cannot supervise many national security decisions. This will be especially true in times of war.

This is not an argument for an unfettered executive prerogative. Under our system of separated powers, Congress has the right and the ability to judge whether President Bush has in fact used his executive discretion soundly, and to hold him responsible if he hasn't. But to engage in demagogic rhetoric about \"imperial\" presidents and \"monarchic\" pretensions, with no evidence that the president has abused his discretion, is foolish and irresponsible.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Wood, name two presidents other than bush and nixon, that ordered wiretaps without a warrant.

It's interesting you bring up fascism. why is that?

And will, what you have offered is more or less what I have offered. blogs, news stories, opinions. We're on equal footing in that regard. BUT, you decide to call what I posted 'anti-bush' while calling what you posted 'facts'.

In case it's not clear yet, I'll tell you straight out. I am not anti-right, anti-left, or anti-popular. I AM anti-BS, and anti-lies.

Last year, President Bush stated:

\"Any time you hear the United States government talking about wiretap, it requires -- a wiretap requires a court order. Nothing has changed, by the way. When we're talking about chasing down terrorists, we're talking about getting a court order before we do so.\"

\"Show me where he used these wire taps to listen in on political opponents a la Nixon\"

If you're wanting transcripts about political opponents from wiretaps, that can't be done. because this is asking the impossible.

And of course you're happy with it. you believe you are secure. yet you gave up your privacy to think you are secure. Congratulations, Ben franklin would be proud of you.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Ferno wrote:And will, what you have offered is more or less what I have offered. blogs, news stories, opinions. We're on equal footing in that regard. BUT, you decide to call what I posted 'anti-bush' while calling what you posted 'facts'....
No, we are not on equal footing. Your blog/opinion pieces site the authors opinion on the constitutionality of the taps...if they even attempt to address the constitutionality of the issue at all! For the most part they dodge that important aspect of the debate and merely address their own feelings on the issue!

I, on the other hand, posted the opinion of actual justice department members. Two of Clintons deputy attorney generals for example, hardly Bush partisan hacks! They didn't just site their feelings on the subject, they focused on the legality and long standing practice of presidential administrations to use their inherent authority and the way the courts have interpreted that inherent authority!!
A big difference!!!

Here, from my very first contribution to this thread, please tell me if you recognize the substantial implications of this excerpt:
Four federal courts of appeal subsequently faced the issue squarely and held that the president has inherent authority to authorize wiretapping for foreign intelligence purposes without judicial warrant.

In the most recent judicial statement on the issue, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review, composed of three federal appellate court judges, said in 2002 that "All the ... courts to have decided the issue held that the president did have inherent authority to conduct warrantless searches to obtain foreign intelligence ... We take for granted that the president does have that authority."
You do recognize, I hope, that this is a reference to official judicial ruling not some partisan hacks editorializing in the paper!!
If you don't believe the authors contention that the courts ruled this way I'm sure there is a public record that you can access to put aside any doubts you have but rest assured, if this issue ever made it to the supreme court this is exactly the kind of thing that would defeat a prosecution based on opinion that "it just isn't right"!!

Your opinion pieces do not hold sway in the courts I'm afraid and there is the big difference between your position and mine! I'm siting fact and you are siting opinion.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Who else ordered warrentless wiretaps?

Jimmy Carter exercised his authority on May 23, 1979 with Executive Order #12139

President Clinton did the same sometime before 1994....you can look that one up as I'm tired of doing your homework for you since you are definitely avoiding honest discourse here...

And here's Clintons Deputy Attorney General, Jamie S. Gorelick's testimony to congress on that instance:
\"The Department of Justice believes -- and the case law supports -- that the president has inherent authority to conduct warrantless physical searches for foreign intelligence purposes and that the president may, as he has done, delegate this authority to the attorney general.\" She remarked that: \"It's important to understand that the rules and methodology for criminal searches are inconsistent with the collection of foreign intelligence and would unduly frustrate the president in carrying out his foreign intelligence responsibilities.\"
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Re:

Post by Iceman »

Will Robinson wrote:Who else ordered warrentless wiretaps?

Jimmy Carter exercised his authority on May 23, 1979 with Executive Order #12139

President Clinton did the same sometime before 1994....you can look that one up as I'm tired of doing your homework for you since you are definitely avoiding honest discourse here...

And here's Clintons Deputy Attorney General, Jamie S. Gorelick's testimony to congress on that instance:
"The Department of Justice believes -- and the case law supports -- that the president has inherent authority to conduct warrantless physical searches for foreign intelligence purposes and that the president may, as he has done, delegate this authority to the attorney general." She remarked that: "It's important to understand that the rules and methodology for criminal searches are inconsistent with the collection of foreign intelligence and would unduly frustrate the president in carrying out his foreign intelligence responsibilities."
He owned ya Ferno ... shut up or do the homework :D
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ferny, I guess I don't have to answer ya as Will did all the work. Me pops a beer and waits for Ferny to come out of shell shock.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Like I said before Will, we shall see who is right in the coming months.

\"I, on the other hand, posted the opinion of actual justice department members. Two of Clintons deputy attorney generals for example, hardly Bush partisan hacks!\"

yea, you posted opinions, like I did. So? And quit bring up partisian issues like i'm on some kind of anti-right crusade. I never harped on you for the sources you posted. I never once brought in any sort of political lean bashing. But you kept beating on what I posted as 'anti-bush' and 'biased'

\"Your opinion pieces do not hold sway in the courts\" That's a load of crap. How would you know wether or not they would hold up in court. Last I checked you're not a judge.

also, I posted a link to one blog. ONE. the other is a news story. go ahead, check it out if you don't believe me. You are probably wondering why I didn't post the link to the news story. Simple. The paper would be attacked in here. Most popular attack would be 'left wing' and 'anti-bush'. You didn't have a link to attack, so you went after the story instead by calling it a blog.

\"The Department of Justice believes -- and the case law supports -- that the president has inherent authority to conduct warrantless physical searches for foreign intelligence purposes and that the president may, as he has done, delegate this authority to the attorney general.\" foreign meaning not domestic.

Here's the rest of the quote you left out:

\"In considering legislation of this type, however, it is important to understand that the rules and methodology for criminal searches are inconsistent with the collection of foreign intelligence and would unduly frustrate the President in carrying out his foreign intelligence responsibilities.

These rules would defeat the purposes and objectives of foreign intelligence searches, which are very different from searches to gather evidence of a crime. Physical searches to gather foreign intelligence depend on secrecy. If the existence of these searches were known to the foreign power targets, they would alter their activities to render the information useless. Accordingly, a notice requirement, such as exists in the criminal law, would be fatal.\"

The idea Gorlick is arguing is that physical searches don't have to have a warrant served to the person being searched, if they are a foriegn agent. The issue with Bush is not physical searches, it is wiretapping.

If clinton did order warrantless wiretaps, he's a jerk for doing that aswell.

Avoiding honest discourse? Asking questions is avoiding discourse? Dude, that's really dishonest. And just a little insulting.

Ice, I asked a question and I got an answer. Last i checked getting an answer to a question isn't being 'owned'. oops, looks like I just owned you. ;)

Wood, no i'm not 'shell-shocked' or whatever euphamism you wish to use. I have a little thing called a 'life' and a 'job' to deal with every so often. Now I ask again, why did you bring up fascism?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

yea, you posted opinions, like I did. So? And quit bring up partisian issues like i'm on some kind of anti-right crusade. I never harped on you for the sources you posted. I never once brought in any sort of political lean bashing. But you kept beating on what I posted as 'anti-bush' and 'biased'
First of all, I didn't accuse you of being partisan, I accused your sources of being partisan and it's for good reason.
I think the dishonest part is your continued attempt to deny the glaring difference between the opinion of the courts and justice departments that impliment and oversee these warrentless searches and the opinion of partisan players who have no legal authority or official experience in determining the constitutionality of these warrentless searches! However they do have an obvious partisan axe to gring when shaping their opinion! I think that distinction is obvious to anyone reading this debate and your constant attempt to equivocate our positions is either very ignorant on your part or dishonest...

Now, on to your smoke screen...
\"The Department of Justice believes -- and the case law supports -- that the president has inherent authority to conduct warrantless physical searches for foreign intelligence purposes and that the president may, as he has done, delegate this authority to the attorney general.\" foreign meaning not domestic.\"

Here's the rest of the quote you left out:

\"In considering legislation of this type, however, it is important to understand that the rules and methodology for criminal searches are inconsistent with the collection of foreign intelligence and would unduly frustrate the President in carrying out his foreign intelligence responsibilities.

These rules would defeat the purposes and objectives of foreign intelligence searches, which are very different from searches to gather evidence of a crime. Physical searches to gather foreign intelligence depend on secrecy. If the existence of these searches were known to the foreign power targets, they would alter their activities to render the information useless. Accordingly, a notice requirement, such as exists in the criminal law, would be fatal.\"

The idea Gorlick is arguing is that physical searches don't have to have a warrant served to the person being searched, if they are a foriegn agent. The issue with Bush is not physical searches, it is wiretapping.

I hope you don't mean to imply that the type of \"physical search\" they are refering to in that quote means literally searching someones physical body...as in up against the car lets see what you have in your pockets! After all that wouldn't be too secret would it?!? And if that was not your meaning then there really is no relavence to our debate by raising this point.

Under a warrentless \"physical search\" the government can, without ever telling the suspect, break into someones house, search their possessions, papers, bank records, credit card records, get copies of all voice mail, email, answering machine messages, any information they have posted in internet chat rooms or forums etc. etc. etc....all that comes under \"physical searches\".
Obviously that is quite a bit of privacy invasion!

The only reason a wiretap requires a different set of criteria is because of the nature of the methods and technology involved, not because it is somehow more invasive than a physical search.
In a wiretap they have a thing called minimizing, where during the time the agent is recording the conversations if the context drifts toward personal topics unrelated to the crime/threat the agent is supposed to turn off the recorder then turn it back on once they start talking about the crime/threat...

So there is just one apsect of a wiretap warrent that obviously doesn't apply to physical searches, hence the need for a seperate set of rules and a seperate warrant. There are many facets of the regulations on wiretaps that distinguish it from a physical search.
Another example, when the suspect is talking to an innocent non-suspect - how to deal with things the non-suspect might say, or does the phone company have to provide decryption if the end user/suspect has implimented any encryption provided by the phone comany...or if he used his own encryption do they have to help the agent....

Go read up on it, there are thousands of reasons why a wiretap requires it's own warrent but none of them make a physical search any less invasive by comparison!

So you are really trying to come up with a distinction without a difference when you imply the passage that mentions physical searches is somehow different for the sake of this debate. Physical or Wiretap, either way, it's a serious invasion of one's privacy.

Here's a few relevant law changes in the Patriot Act that apply to this:
Section 209: At one time, at least some courts felt that authorities needed a wiretap
order rather than a search warrant to seize voice mail. Section 209 treats voice mail like
e-mail, subject to seizure under a search warrant rather than a more demanding wiretap
order law.

Section 220: Before the Act, federal authorities could gain access to a
communications service provider’s customer records and the content of their electronic
communications either through the use of a search warrant or in some instances a court
order. Certainly in the case of the search warrant and arguable in the case of the court
order, the warrant or order could only be issued in the judicial district in which it was to
be executed. This proved inconvenient and sometimes frustrating where the criminal
investigation was conducted in one district and the communications provider was located
in another. Section 220 addresses the difficulty by authorizing the court in the district
where the crime occurred to issue search warrants to be served anywhere in the country
for access to electronic communications content and customer record information (which
by virtue of section 209, discussed above, now includes content and records of voice, e-
mail, and other electronic communications).
The important part to rememeber is the type of electronic survellance they are trying to accomplish is impossible if you make them work under the FISA laws because anytime their wiretaps ensnare a U.S. citizen or legal alien they would have to show probable cause to the FISA court to continue the listening or even if they impliment the delay clause before the information could be used!
When you consider they started with a captured cell phone in Afghanastan from the #3 al Queda man and started listening in and/or electronically filtering all the phone numbers stored on that phones memory chip for key words they have no way of knowing who was going to be on the other end of the calls!

How can they ever show probable cause when they never knew who the calls were going to or coming from? This is exactly the kind of thing that falls under Gorelics assertion :\"the rules and methodology for criminal searches are inconsistent with the collection of foreign intelligence and would unduly frustrate the President in carrying out his foreign intelligence responsibilities.\"

And that is exactly why the authors of the FISA law in 1978 and every administration and every court that ever ruled on this matter since then has literally and specifically asserted that these laws were not intended to usurp the presidents inherent authority to order a warrentless search (and yes that means wiretaps too!).

The politicial motives and zealous pursuit of partisan gamesmanship of the left has overrun their common sense and the security of our citizens is being put well below the need to politically defeat Bush!! And by far the biggest culprit in this debacle is the press who refuse to objectively report the truth behind this and instead enable the lefty's to demagogue this issue at our collective peril!
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

and it still wouldn't be a problem if they went through FISA. If someone was indeed a threat, which means the intelligence agencey would have done their job right, they would have no problem getting a warrant.

I think we can call this debate finished. agreed?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Ferno wrote:and it still wouldn't be a problem if they went through FISA. If someone was indeed a threat, which means the intelligence agencey would have done their job right, they would have no problem getting a warrant.

I think we can call this debate finished. agreed?
I think it's obvious from the scenario outlined in my last post why they couldn't satisfy the requirements for a warrant!!
And equally obvious that the system is set up to give the president the authority to order warrantless searches precisely because of these conditions, or as Gorelic herself put it,
...it is important to understand that the rules and methodology for criminal searches are inconsistent with the collection of foreign intelligence and would unduly frustrate the President in carrying out his foreign intelligence responsibilities.
And yes, I'm done.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

*changed my mind...
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Ferno wrote: Wood, no i'm not 'shell-shocked' or whatever euphamism you wish to use. I have a little thing called a 'life' and a 'job' to deal with every so often. Now I ask again, why did you bring up fascism?
The fascism revolves around how certain liberals tried to paint Bush as the son of Hitler. By throwing gross generalities around without much basis in fact is just another attempt to show Bush as something what he ain't. Not that I think that was your intent.

As a parting shot:

"Pelosi — then the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee — wrote, "I am concerned whether, and to what extent, the National Security Agency has received specific presidential authorization for the operations you are conducting."

It would seem from this statement that even Ms Pelosi understood the office of the president had authority for such wiretaps.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i could care less whether they tap my shiz or not. they wanna see and hear my kittie porn..... so be it. :lol: :twisted:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

wait til it's made illegal..... oops too late. ;)