Crash Different

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Pandora wrote:
edit: does anybody else have weird problems with the DBB? It was gone for 6 hours or so, now back, then gone again...
No problems here... but I don't live here. :)
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

@Duper: I know exactly what you're talking about :wink: And I think that for these people - and those who simply cannot be bothered - the Mac might be the better solution.

@flipTV: Agree 100%

@VonVulcan: me neither.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

pandora.. click on the link I posted, read what it says.. and tell me if it constitutes a 'marketing blurb'.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

Parts of it do, especially those at the top. And these were the only one's I thought could have any implication to what we're talking about. Certainly not those that describe how you use it and what you need for it to work :)

So why don't you tell me what part of the page is relevant, and how it challenges my view that it's about the interaction and not about the name of the processor?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

it's relavant because it's apple saying that the mac is now a PC. a unique-looking PC, but a PC none the less.

yea it kinda sucks because there's less choice but it also doesn't suck because this gives us the chance to see what platform really IS better.

The interaction is a very subjective way of looking at a computer. I could build a PC that is bulletproof and create a gui that a six year old could use. I could sell that as 'superior interaction' and probably get away with it too.

Or I could build a PC that is a complete boat anchor, but use and sell the same GUI. People would still buy that up because of the superior 'interaction'.

Basically what I'm saying is, selling interaction with a computer is like selling an e-penis.

Mac was never superior. just niche.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I dunno Ferno. everyone I've talked to in the past that worked with media prefered the Mac. IMO the Mac is a bit restrictive as I was \"raised\" on MS/IBM/TRS type computers. My folks bought an Apple IIe+ when I was in highschool. My bro in law as a teacher so he had a Mac and a good friend back in 85 had gotten an original Mac... which were really cool back then. The game that came with it called \"life\" was amazing. Wasted many an hour just watching that. :lol:

Two things kept me from owning a Mac over the years. Out right cost, and choice in software; or rather lack there of. Stability was never a concideration from my experiance. Like I said. I posted this as a joke only. Obviously, this guy has spent many frustrating hours dealing with Mac's \"features\". ;) But then, have you ever worked with D3 Editor? you needed to save every few seconds or with every change you made lest you lose all your work. the newer versions try to save your work (hopefully without corrupting it) before the program goes down.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

Ferno wrote:it's apple saying that the mac is now a PC. a unique-looking PC, but a PC none the less.
Really, it says this? I cannot find it anywhere on the page.
Ferno wrote:yea it kinda sucks because there's less choice
On the contrary. A costumer can still buy a Mac or a PC with all their differences and idiosyncracies ... if he buys a Mac he has even more choice than before, because he can run Windows on it.
Ferno wrote:The interaction is a very subjective way of looking at a computer.
Yes. This is why choice is good. One way of interacting may work for one person, and the other for another person. Mac OS X works for me and Windows get's on my nerves. Apparently, Windows works for you but I am not sure if you have tried out OS X for a longer period of time?
Ferno wrote:I could build a PC that is bulletproof and create a gui that a six year old could use. I could sell that as 'superior interaction' and probably get away with it too.
Uhm, you make it sound that building a 'GUI that a six year old can understand' would be somehow bad? Why is it bad when a technology is accessible to almost everyone. To do this, there is considerable skill involved, MS doesn't get it even now.
Ferno wrote:Basically what I'm saying is, selling interaction with a computer is like selling an e-penis.
Basically, what I'm saying is, interaction is very important for me in a computer, and that is why I am buying a Mac and not a PC.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I try to post instead of working and dbb.net gose down during the middle of the day. Just to be sure it was down i used dsnstuff.com

viewtopic.php?t=10030

this might be about it viewtopic.php?t=10030
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

pt. 1: no it doesn't say it literally, but it's being elduded to.

pt. 2: that may be true in the short term, but in the long term... i doubt it.

pt. 3: yea i gave osx a shot. it's different. doesn't really fit my needs though.

pt. 4 and pt. 5: you misunderstand. my 'six year old' example meant that the GIU would be easy enough for a six year old to use and still work the next day. but getting into the nitty gritty of how hard an os is to make is muddying the waters.

personally, i just need this machine to work well today, tomorrow, and the next day through until it literally blows up. reliablility is key.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Topher »

Pandora wrote:Uhm, you make it sound that building a 'GUI that a six year old can understand' would be somehow bad? Why is it bad when a technology is accessible to almost everyone. To do this, there is considerable skill involved, MS doesn't get it even now
Because the majority of users aren't six year olds. There isn't some magical GUI that everyone, from six to 60, is going to understand. If you dumb down the interface so much you'll reach a point where all you can do is what a six year old can do.

I think MS gets UI very well.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Why is this even being argued? Seriously....

Mac using parts that have been used in PC's for years makes them more like PC's. End of story. There is no arguing around this. Arguing over GUI is pointless because not everyone has the same level of intuition. Some people find the OSX gui easier to learn while some prefer Windows, Linux, or whatever. Its a matter of preference.

Lastly, with Apple having a whopping 4% of the market, it makes perfect sense that they make it capable of running an OS being run by like 90% of the computers out there. Too bad it took them shooting themselves in the foot with the intel processor to do it. (going from 64-bit down to 32-bit must've pissed off alot of apple users)
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

so much to respond to, so litte time...

sorry, busy at work, didn't find the time to write today. Maybe tomorrow ... if not, then we just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

take care