.osf files

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Ympakt
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

.osf files

Post by Ympakt »

Hey all, I know how to get from .wav to .osf, but is there any way to get from .osf to .wav, or .mp3? I've got a huge taunt file directory and I want to archive them to pare the directory down and put the files in a format that doesn't requre me to open Descent every time to listen to them. I don't want to lose the files either, some of them are hilarious and would be a real pain to find, clip and reload.

Any suggestions?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I went looking for the same thing a number of years ago, but I don't think a utility exist. Wish i had better news. :This is where source code would be great to have.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Ah, in D3edit, there is a funtion that allows you to extract .osf files from the d3.hog file. IT was made to do that so you could hear the sounds in the DALLAS script editor. Before hand, there would be a list of sounds that you could suposdly listen to, trouble is, it didn't work. THis way you could listen to the sounds.
What does this have to do with lisening to ATs? I think if you were to set the .osf directory to the directory that the ATs in (for me C:\\Games\\Descent3\\custom\\sounds) and then bring up D3edit, create a new level, and when you're in the world view, File > DALLAS graphical editor. And I;m pretty sure (I haven't done this myself) that you can listen to them. Granted yse, it isn't a media player, but you'll be able to listen to them.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

If the worst comes to the worst, just play the sounds in D3 and record the speaker output to .WAV then edit the wav file. Voila.
Ympakt
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ympakt »

Well, what I wound up doing wasn't ideal. For some reason when sounds are played, I couldn't record them just by playing them via the windows recorder or using my older Sound Forge app. No matter how I set up the record/playback selections (using a XFi card). I had to plug a splitter from the speaker output to the microphone input of the card and basically hit record, proceed to playback the taunts one by one in the ship config menu of D3, and then extract the individual taunts in clips from the resulting 30 minute recording. Kind of a pain, but it worked. Got around 200 taunts in .mp3 format.

Thanks for the replies! If anyone wants some of these let me know. I'll try to find someplace to put them up for download.
aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aldel »

OSF files don't use compression, do they? If not, you can probably use a general-purpose audio converter like sox. You'd just have to experiment a bit to figure out how many bytes to skip at the beginning, and what the sample rate is. They would almost certainly use a single channel of 16-bit samples.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Mobius wrote:If the worst comes to the worst, just play the sounds in D3 and record the speaker output to .WAV then edit the wav file. Voila.
Very good Mobius! 8) talk about a no-brainer. The sound would be as clean as if it had been converted.

Windows sound recorder would work wouldn't it?

*edit*

Ahh Ympakt. That would be cool.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I think you misunderstand. I am not instructing him to put a microphone next to his speakers. That would be a dumb dumb thing to do.

No, I mean record the OUTPUT which GOES TO the speakers. This is the 100% foolproof way to get clean digital recordings (well, no worse than the original file): record the soundcard output stage.

It's easy, and there are a ton of apps out there which will do it...

... which is great, coz that's what he did.

Painful yes, effective yes.

He probably has almost as many taunt WAVs as I do. Seeing as how I made probably 10-20% of the taunts which are out there now.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Nope, that's not what I was thinking. I was thinking of turing on windows sound recorder while in D3. It will record whatever is coming through your sound card.

It would be more effective by toggling out of the game then starting it of course.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Did you try Game Audio Player?

Use at your own risk, I can't vouch for the site because it's been so long since I downloaded this proggy...but with that said, I've used it in the past to play extracted d3 sound files for my d3 remixes, should work for taunts too.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Sweet, that program looks mighty handy. I'll geta copy of it.
Ympakt
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ympakt »

Yep. Got a copy of GAP from a suggestion on the other board. Thanks for that tho...