Tomb of Jesus Found?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Shoku
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Tomb of Jesus Found?

Post by Shoku »

The Discovery Channel showed a two hour presentation the other day, produced by James Cameron, abnout the supposed discovery of Jesus' tomb.

Here is an interesting link about the claims made in that presentation:

The Society of Biblical Literature
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

I've heard about this, but I haven't read or listened to any of the commentary or even seen the broadcast.

I do have an opinion though. Even if it is Jesus' tomb, would it really matter? The importance of Jesus' life and death was what he taught - his father's Kingdom, vindicate hid father's sovereignty, and to sanctify his father's holy name [Jehovah].

The tomb, in my opinion doesn't mean a thing.
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

I'm surprised it hasn't shown up as an ebay ad yet, like this one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/05 ... eve_irwin/
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

From what little I know about the claim, most mainstream archaeologists look upon it as extremely bad science.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Huh.
And is this before or after you remember that Jesus ascended into heaven, and didn't leave behind a corpse?
Really, this is an absolute no-brainer!
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Uh....heh...TIGER, you're losing touch with reality pal. That isn't generally accepted scientific fact. It's a belief.

Though I don't know if I really believe this anyway. Count me amonst the skeptics.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Beowulf wrote:Uh....heh...TIGER, you're losing touch with reality pal. That isn't generally accepted scientific fact. It's a belief.

Though I don't know if I really believe this anyway. Count me amonst the skeptics.
No, but Jesus himself isn't considered to be a generally accepted scientific fact! His life is just a belief!
There's no option for "I think the bible is completely true, except for that part about Jesus not having a body here!"
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Tiger, I understand that you think Christian faith is all just \"made up\", but whether or not you think Jesus was resurrected, you need to check your history before making claims that he never existed (check the info about Greco-Roman historical texts in Dissent's link).

[Edit: Plus, you seem to be missing the point that the central claim of the presentation is being disputed. If I accepted it as fact, then you would be right that I couldn't also believe in Jesus' resurrection. However, I think most people see it for what it is, a \"James Cameron / Discovery Channel Special\", not a well-validated scientific thesis.]
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Umm... I really meant for the Jesus is son of God side of things, not for that Jesus existed.
I don't see any big deal about a Jesus that was actually ordinary.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Ah, I understand.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

TIGERassault wrote:Umm... I really meant for the Jesus is son of God side of things, not for that Jesus existed.
I don't see any big deal about a Jesus that was actually ordinary.

This is why this "find" is so important to the non-Christian world .. or rather, perhaps the anti-Christian world; it nullifies the purpose behind the Christian faith.