HERE SHE IS!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

roid wrote:V-22s? (looks it up)...

dude those things were deathtarps! I thought they gave up on them coz everyone kept crashing them spectacularly (made awesome vids though ahah) :D
They're still in service today because they spent so much damn money on them that they're trying to find some kind of redeeming value for them.

Duper: roid was referring to the ship, not the plane when he was talking about it being "amphibious".
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

MD-2389 wrote:

dude those things were deathtarps! I thought they gave up on them coz everyone kept crashing them spectacularly (made awesome vids though ahah) :D
They're still in service today because they spent so much damn money on them that they're trying to find some kind of redeeming value for them.
Uh, no. They're in service today because they freaking rock. The Marines think they're the best thing since sliced bread. (Like I said, my wife worked on them. I've heard things.)

They had some accidents in the prototype phases. The things that led to those accidents have been fixed.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

MD-2389 wrote:

Duper: roid was referring to the ship, not the plane when he was talking about it being "amphibious".
Ah thanks. The last couple of weeks have been rough. Not a lot of sleep so my focus has been a bit less than optimal.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Symbols are for the symbolminded ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

A little bit of it is nice, but \"the spirit of the WTC is comin' back to kick yo' ass\" is taking it a bit far. :)

When it's irony you're talking about, the guy who tried to burn the American flag and ended up burning himself with it was much more amusing.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

I'm still trying to figure out why they call these ships amphibious... they can't go on land... so wtf?
they are not calling the ships amphibious. the ships are amphibious assault ships. \"amphibs\" as they are known in the Navy come in all shapes and sizes. this was mine when I served in the Navy in the 70's - 80's she carried a detachment of 2000 Marines and 40 helicopters and Harrier jets and also had a floodable welldeck in her stern to launch landing craft including the air cushion type.
and this was her fate July of last year when the Navy used her as a Target ships :x
it has long been a Navy tradition to do such things, back in WW2 5 brothers served onboard a ship together (before it was banned for this reason)all 5 were killed when the ship was attacked and sunk, the Navy named a ship after those brothers calling it the U.S.S. The Sullivans.
http://www.sullivans.navy.mil/home.html
so I think its a great idea the we \"Never forget\" 911 and name this ship the U.S.S. New York and use that metal to connect it to the city as a memorial
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

They also used some metal from the WTC to build the mars rovers. And there's Mobi's sculpture. Makes me wonder how many other places WTC wreckage has been \"reincarnated.\"
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

A large amount of material was shipped to Korea or one of those countries there. The next Matchbox car you buy might be recycled WTC steel.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Spooky wrote:Cuda;

Image < USS Belleau Wood (LHA 3)

That picture you posted sure looks like USS Belleau Wood (LHA 3). . . :) If it is I helped build LHA 3 at Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula Mississippi. The LHA stands for "Landing Helicopter Assault" As time has gone by the fact that LHA 3 carried "Amphibious" equipment allowed the term for the ship to "morph" into "Amphibious Assault Ship".

With all the "hype" on "recycling", "conservation of materials", what a waste that this ship ended up as it did. :roll:
Spooky: I just missed being a Plank owner on Belleau Wood by 3 months, she had just arrived in San Diego when I was stationed on her, I served as her lead Helmsman for the 4 years I was on board. I'm still ticked at the Navy for sinking her
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Sunken ships do occasionally have interesting environmental benefits.

Despite its controversial safety record, there's no doubt that the Osprey is a marvel of modern aviation. It's the only aircraft of its kind and it does something plenty of people probably deemed impossible. Yes, it cost a huge fortune to develop, but it is a damn ambitious piece of work.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i love the 22. got to see one at a airshow, those things are loud as ★■◆●!