can't find descent!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

toms
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

can't find descent!

Post by toms »

hello. i'm an astronomer in ohio and i recently came across an old pentium 3 with windows 2000 installed and i thought i would try and play descent again. problem is, i can't find anywhere to buy it =(. i've looked at half priced books, as well as some random software shops, even ebay! but i can't find descent 1 or 2 anywhere. id rather play descent 2 again, but hell, i just need my old school fix. i would really appreciate it if someone could show me where to find it.

thanks
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

You can probably find Descent3 easier than Descent or DescentII. But if you come across one of the latter, be sure to check out the D2X-XL and/or DxX-Rebirth projects... they'll help run the original two games without the bugs, and with better graphics.
toms
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by toms »

i highly doubt this computer can run D2x
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

A Pentium 3? Oh, yeah... it should be able to run D2X, especially if you have any kind of graphics card in it.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

If it's too slow to run d2x then you'll have no problem running the regular d2.exe

If that comp is too fast for d2 however (Because the framerate in d1/d2 is cpu dependant) then look up d1x/d2x.
toms
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by toms »

yeah it's just a bull★■◆● computer i salvaged from a hospital. pentium 3 800, 128mb ram, and some little 4MB integrated video. nothing much, it was free. thanks for the info guys. hopefully windows 2000 won't give me much crap with an old dos game.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

That's plenty to run even Descent 3 on. These games are old, after all.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

DarkHorse wrote:That's plenty to run even Descent 3 on. These games are old, after all.
All except the 4 MB video part, that isn't good enough to run D3.
toms
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by toms »

i actually tried to run descent 3, at 640x480.. ran smooth till a bunch of robots came on screen. i really don't have the time for games but my friends here at the lab got a kick out of descent2. they actually remember it! mike told me he actually used a VR set with it. now i can see why his eyes suck so much when it comes to peering through our equipment for 8 hours
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

DarkHorse wrote:That's plenty to run even Descent 3 on. These games are old, after all.
Ahh... the advantages of playing an old game....
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

d3jake wrote:
Ahh... the advantages of playing an old game....
If Descent IV actually comes alive, imagine what we would need to play, everyone here would go buy it only to run it at 10 fps :D