Quebec French Extremists

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Quebec French Extremists

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Here's proof we have extremists within our own Country. This is one of the main reasons I left my birth place of Montreal and moved to Ottawa.
CALGARY (CBC) - Police in Gatineau, Que., continued their investigation Friday into violent threats to English-speaking Quebecers by a group calling itself the Ligue de Défense Nationale.

The Regional Association of West Quebecers, a group that defends the rights of English-speaking Outaouais residents, has received threatening e-mails from the Ligue de Défense Nationale, or National Defence League. The most recent was received Tuesday morning.

\"It did read that this was our final warning in bold, capital letters,\" said André Hurtubise, executive director of the regional association. \"And that if this didn't cease, they would put a little lead in our heads - \"du plomb dans la tête\".\"

In an e-mail to CBC News, the Ligue de Défense justified the threats by writing that the association of West Quebecers is defending the \"Englicization\" of the Outaouais region.

They write that their actions could range from very simple to extremely violent.

\"We believe that the peaceful action of the Quebec independence movement is not enough to defend the French language, the protection of Quebec territory in dealing with the threats of English people,\" the group wrote, in French, in an e-mail to CBC.

The group signed off its e-mail messages with the phrase \"nous vaincrons\" - \"we will overcome.\"

Officials with the Quebec provincial police said they are aware of the group's existence but said they have no record of criminal acts involving its members.

Once the news of the Ligue de Défense had surfaced, Hurtubise articulated his concerns about people expressing prejudice.

In a comment posted the CBC News website, Hurtubise wrote, \"As the recipient of the threatening e-mails, I ask that we not paint all Quebecers with the same brush. The majority of Quebecers are wonderful people with the exception of a few radicals such as those who sent me the e-mails. If we play their game and begin to insult each other, it is a certainty that matters will once again escalate to that which they were in the '70s, and no one wishes to relive that.\"

Gatineau police said Friday they are trying to find out where the threatening e-mails originated.

The Ligue de Défense has referred to itself as the \"Nouveau FLQ.\" The FLQ, or Front de libération du Québec, was a Quebec separatist group that set off bombs in Montreal in the 1960s and launched Canada into the October Crisis in 1970, after it kidnapped British trade commissioner James Cross and later killed Quebec cabinet minister Pierre Laporte.
Kaboo Hahahein
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Kaboo Hahahein »

Man...Quebeckers. Cheers to Ontario. I'm also from Quebec, and I speak the \"Quebecois\". Man, do those crazy people annoy me sometimes. All they want is to get laid all the freaking time.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I know its cold and all up there Merlin, but those folks need to get outside and breath the air and talk to more people than the voices in their heads.

seriously.. talk about left over baloney from the 60's. holy smokes!
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Another round of troops in the street and martial law will fix them up. :lol:
Flashback to the seventies for sure. I imagine the entire movement is six people with ponytails, smoking Gitanes. Something like the Judean Peoples Front in the Life of Brian
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I assume Quebec is like the Texas of Canada?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Dak, yes it is. The French haven't realized they lost the war. And there's more than just a handful. The last time they voted on separating from Canada in 95 I think, they lost 51-49%. They really want to leave our Country but retain all the wonderful privileges Canada has to offer. I'm like NFW!
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

I think they are more like Georgia or Alabama where you seen the Confederate Flag waving around. The culture is different from the rest of the country and they harbour grudges from hundreds of years ago.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Dakatsu wrote:I assume Quebec is like the Texas of Canada?
Ha! As a Texan, this is my favorite quote of the day. :)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Dak, yes it is. The French haven't realized they lost the war. And there's more than just a handful. The last time they voted on separating from Canada in 95 I think, they lost 51-49%. They really want to leave our Country but retain all the wonderful privileges Canada has to offer. I'm like NFW!
If they want their own country so damned much, they can move to France.