DVI and VGA?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

DVI and VGA?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I've never been able to figure out what the difference is between VGA and DVI exactly. I've plugged in my 22\" acer into both and I've never seen any difference.

From what I understand, DVI is supposed to handle pixels on a flatscreen better.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

DVI uses digital signals so everything is sharper.
VGA is the digital signal converted to analog and back to digital. Your quality degrades.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

You used a DVI cable too?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by fliptw »

CDN_Merlin wrote:DVI uses digital signals so everything is sharper.
VGA is the digital signal converted to analog and back to digital. Your quality degrades.
actually no, its an analog signal from the video card's DAC. all the adapter(not a converter) does is send the analog signal to the correct pins for a VGA cable. unless the port on the video card is DVI-D, which has no analog pins, or is DVI-A, which is all analog.

for all practical purposes, a digital signal means your monitor doesn't need to sync the signal.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

On true DVI-D you never need to auto or otherwise adjust the screen (usually adjust functionality is disabled in digital modes since it is meaningless).
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

ImageImage
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Cool thing about DVI I like is, I never have to adjust the V and H position to get a perfect fit on the screen. :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I'm thinking about switching up my video cabling at home. Right now I can't use DVI, because the KVM switch I'm running everything through is VGA (plus, I can't go over 60Hz through the KVM). DVI is definitely noticeably sharper, it's what I have at work.