conservative majority? more like progressive majority

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Duper wrote:...
some 80% of people shot in thier homes during a forced entry are done so with their own gun.
I bet you can't find any reliable source for those stats.
Keep it locked up away from the kids.
Amen! If it isn't in your immediate control/possession then it should be locked up.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Will Robinson wrote:
Duper wrote:...
some 80% of people shot in thier homes during a forced entry are done so with their own gun.
I bet you can't find any reliable source for those stats.

I was told that in a 2 day gun safety course provided by the State of Oregon that I took when I had intended to apply for a concealed weapons permit. Mine you, I don't own a hand gun, just thought it would be neat to have the permit as it is a right. Never got around to going into the county office and actually getting it. Too much drama in my life at the time iirc. Course was required and cover a whole lot of stuff.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Duper wrote: I was told that in a 2 day gun safety course provided by the State of Oregon that I took when I had intended to apply for a concealed weapons permit....
Sounds like the instructor was using the age old tactic of trying to scare his students with some hyperbole.

I used the money I was paid for serving on a jury in a murder trial to pay my weapons permit fee.
3 kids, ages 13, 14 and 15 called a cab and when they got in they unloaded a seven shot pistol into the drivers body and robbed him.
We put the shooter in prison with the adults for 25 years minimum (the most the law allowed) and the other two are out on the streets right now. They were never charged with any crime.

Hell yes I want my right to keep and bear arms!!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well then, here is something in writing. (not supporting my info) A rather interesting article. I haven't checked to see if there is a bib as I'm at work. Rather interesting. The little I've looked into puts us Americans in a bad light with id comes to this kinda statistic.

click

**Edit**

wow, i think I actually found it!

HERE near the bottom of the page.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Duper wrote:
And if you shoot an intruder who does not have a gun, you can be charged with excessive use of force regardless of the circumstances.

Not really. Up in the St. Paul or perhaps Minneapolis, 3 kids broke into an old man's home. They had no weapons but he did, a .22 rifle. He stayed in his bedroom and when they entered he shot once and killed one kid, the other two took off. No charges where ever filed. This was last year that it happened.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The way I see it, that kid might have had a future. Now he (or possibly she) doesn't. The other two kids will probably be scarred for life. I don't believe anyone deserves to die, regardless of the crime. If you kill them, you're just as bad as they are. (That's why there's no death penalty in Canada.)
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

I believe in self defence and the proper use of deadly force, so I guess I am a very bad man.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Duper wrote:....wow, i think I actually found it!

HERE near the bottom of the page.
That is a suicide statistic that says basically around 80% of people who commit suicide use a gun that doesn't belong to them. I don't know how accurate it is but it shouldn't be used to imply that someone who is breaking into the house will use your own gun on you 80% of the time!!

That stat merely points out that most people, when taking the step to kill themselves, will use the most efficient tool available...
I don't think many of them would have said
'Well hell, no gun...I guess I'll just have to keep on living after all!'
if there had been no gun available!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Cuda, it varies from state to state and in some cases town to town. Here in Oregon, you need to be very careful.
Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day.
I have a really hard time buying that. I could be wrong, but it seems way over inflated.

Bottom line for me is that I'm not so afraid that I feel the need to keep a gun near to defend myself. The dangers,in my opinion, out way the benefits. I have a rifle and I have a cable lock strung through the chamber and trigger; while the bolt is oiled, wrapped and stored in an entirely different place. That's a bit over kill admittedly, but i don't have a locking gun case. If someone was to break in and find it, it would be useless to them. I'm thinking more along the lines of stealing it, not using it against me.

Also, here in Portland, people get shot in the street, or in bars while getting into it with each other. It's seldom you hear about someone getting shot in their own homes. But like i said: that's HERE. ...not in Canada, not NY, LA, poe-dunk-nowhere. :mrgreen:

And yeah. It didn't click when I read over that before. And I looked hard at it too. oh well. The instructor btw, was an Ex-regional Pres of the NRA. or chairman or whatever the main dude for the state is. The state used to contract him for lessons and stuff.

and Woody, the guy on the street and doesn't have a drill sargent to worry about. ;) Also, a jogger nearly killed my daughter with pepper mace when she was about 4. The jogger thought she was a dog (it was dark in the early morning) and sprayed here. The best I can tell the jogger had the spray in her hand. My daughter's throat swelled shut and she passed out. The paramedic said the cold weather probably saved her. They inserted an airway and took her to the ER.
The jogger ran off when my wife ran in to call 911.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

It does vary. Like I said here in Boulder Co I have no worries and keep them locked in a gun safe. In St. Paul MN I had the shotgun out and loaded. You have use common sense.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Intersting fact: This is the only topic on the DBB that contains the word \"blah.\"
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

nah the dbb.net search is broken
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah, I thought you'd have posted more \"blah\"s than that.