Guinness

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Guinness

Post by woodchip »

Bought my first bottled Guinness beer. Not bad but when I finished sucking the bottle dry I see there is some sort of plastic cylinder in the bottle. Is, ummm...this normal? I see the unopened ones also have the cylinders in them.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Was it Drought or extra stout? I'm not aware of Drought in a bottle. It comes in a can, and the can's have the cylinder thingys in them. It's how they get the draft look, feel, and taste but I'm not sure how it works.

I've found the best way to enjoy a Guinness is to have it at the St. James Gate brewery in Dublin. :D
CORD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CORD »

The little ball or cylinder is filled with CO2 to generate the foam for when it's poured into a glass.
Don't be so openminded that your brains fall out.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Most beer I drink doesn't need any help to foam. :P

This was Draught beer and it was in a bottle.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

According to the FAQ at guinness.com -
What is the widget - and how does it work?

Glad you asked. The widget is a plastic moulded device that sits on the top of the contents of each can of GUINNESS® Draught. When the can is opened, a small amount of beer and nitrogen, trapped in the widget, is forced out through the beer, which creates the famous creamy head that you find on a pint of GUINNESS® Draught served in a pub. The widget gives GUINNESS® Draught in cans the taste and texture of a pub-poured pint at home.
similar widget in the bottles and cans, I presume.