Descent3.exe/main.exe won't close

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Poxy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Descent3.exe/main.exe won't close

Post by Poxy »

When I exit a game, I have to use ctrl+alt+delete to close D3, before opening it again. This interferes with AIM. How can I fix it?

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 761ic7.jpg
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Have you patched to the latest version of Descent 3? (Patches can be found here: http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files/d3/patches/) Although I don't recall any version of D3 exhibiting that behavior before.

Its possible there is some sort of conflict with another piece of software running on your system that is preventing a graceful exit. So first I would try closing all unnecessary background applications before launching Descent 3. You should also close unused applications/icons in the system tray next to the clock (usually you can right click them and find exit or quit in the menu that pops up). You may even want to uninstall the ones that you don't know what they do or you never use since doing that will also speed up your computer.
shaktazuki
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by shaktazuki »

You might also want to change your video rendering device in the D3 setup.
Duck: “So, what’s that horn for?”

Unicorn: “Oh, you know, to stab my foe. I know, that sounds pretty harsh and brutal, or whatever. And it grants wishes! It also just looks good on a unicorn, *rawr*.”
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Audio/Video drivers corrupt, re-install.
Poxy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Poxy »

Canuck wrote:Audio/Video drivers corrupt, re-install.
Aw... I recently updated them, so that must be it. Thanks.