Story behind your avatar pt. 3(?)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Drakona wrote:...the group of rotational symmetries of the cube--while not particularly a favorite--is iconic. I created the graphic in POVRAY...
Any chance you created a graphic of the generators of the rotational-symmetry groups for any of the other regular polyhedra?
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Nah. I was so brand new at 3d rendering that anything not-a-cube would have severely challenged my trigonometric capacity. It wasn't until grad school, when I was TA-ing precal, that I remembered how to actually use a cosine. I mean, like, for finding distances instead of for populating function spaces.

And anyways, the cube has those unexpected 3-way and 2-way symmetries. Nothing about a dodecahedron surprises anyone, because the shape is already unfamiliar.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Mine is the "r-pentomino" pattern in Conway's Game of Life, a generational cellular automata simulation. This particular pattern takes more than 1100 generations to stabilize, and the "live" cells are depicted here with Descent shield powerups, with energy powerups delineating the grid. One day I hope to animate them and show it regenerating.
Lobber wrote:Mine is a short sequence from the end of "Rejected" by Don Hertzfeldt. It reminds me of mental insanity.
Love that little flick! One of the very few times a movie has made me tear with laughter. Bought the DVD and had it signed by Don himself when he was touring with the Animation Show.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Mine is the cover of Happy End, a single by bloodthirsty butchers, one of my favorite bands. I think I chose to use it here because it was already the right size.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

Well I live near St Louis and they have opened a new green space called City Garden. I was driving by and snap a picture on my phone. Cropped and shrunk down to avatar size.

You can read more about here.

http://www.offbeattravel.com/tji-city-g ... louis.html
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

My story.

This is the pilot from my first game ever, Hellbender. I got the idea of a pilot as my avatar from Pyro Jockey (IDK if he is part of the DescentBB or if he is just in PD like I was). It just looks cool!