Locking up the Hurt

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Locking up the Hurt

Post by woodchip »

I am unceasingly surprised at how duplicitous the hollywood crowd can be. Not too long ago the actors and actresses were calling american troops murderers and thugs. Now that we have their darling boy in office and the Hurt Locker wins the coveted best picture award, why our troops are \"Brave\" and \"Courageous\". It is all enough to make one wonder about ones sanity. I wonder if there will be a anti-war film showing maimed Afghan children anytime soon?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Anyone looking towards anything Hollywood making sense ... is going to be disappointed.

You were surprised?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

x2
Precious wasn't even about Smeagol.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

I'm bothered that Shmeegel is spelled like that and you know it :lol:
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Seriously though, x4 on TechPro's statement.

They're a bunch of stupid pretty people...Our politicians are a bunch of crooked ugly people.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

TechPro wrote:Anyone looking towards anything Hollywood making sense ... is going to be disappointed.

You were surprised?
I was surprised anyone at the Oscar's was laudatory of our troops.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Not too long ago the actors and actresses were calling american troops murderers and thugs.
Ok, I'll bite, which actor and actress called the american troops murderers and thugs?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

nobody wanted to touch \"The Hurt Locker\" (produce it) because it wasn't blockbuster material and depicted true life situations in the time of war.

Funny how the producer was banned from entering the academy awards

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

BUBBALOU wrote:...Funny how the producer was banned from entering the academy awards
Is he a republican?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Will Robinson wrote:Is he a republican?
Actually I think he is just French, which could be considered very simular in his priorities

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

Actually supporting our troops has been \"in vogue\" ever since 9/11 (and before). I think you're conflating non-support for US foreign policy with non-support of the US troops themselves. I believe Bush as a \"thug\" was a popular sentiment - but not the troops.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Insurrectionist »

BUBBALOU wrote:Funny how the producer was banned from entering the academy awards
The Hurt Locker was produced by Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Greg Shapiro and Nicolas Chartier. They were going to pull the movie because of this email.

I hope all is well with you. I just wanted to write you and say I hope you liked Hurt Locker and if you did and want us to win, please tell (name deleted) and your friends who vote for the Oscars, tell actors, directors, crew members, art directors, special effects people, if everyone tells one or two of their friends, we will win and not a $500M film, we need independent movies to win like the movies you and I do, so if you believe The Hurt Locker is the best movie of 2010, help us!

I'm sure you know plenty of people you've worked with who are academy members whethere a publicist, a writer, a sound engineer, please take 5 minutes and contact them. Please call one or two persons, everything will help!

best regards,

Nicolas Chartier Voltage Pictures
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/season/ ... ml?cnn=yes

Then they took away Nicolas Chartier's invatation instead of removing the movie.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Yes we all know about his spam email...

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

BigSlideHimself wrote:Actually supporting our troops has been "in vogue" ever since 9/11 (and before). I think you're conflating non-support for US foreign policy with non-support of the US troops themselves. I believe Bush as a "thug" was a popular sentiment - but not the troops.
In my opinion, I would date-it since Vietnam. I think the country hasn't gotten over its embarrassment that our own soldiers were so ridiculed.

Hating the leaders who send them to war is perfectly legit. But hating the Young kid who is risking his life for the country he loves, who is more then likely returning in some state of shock, is pretty much as far down as one can go on the totem poll.