When Windows is legal.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

When Windows is legal.

Post by Isaac »

Dear Internet people,

So I shot myself in the foot when I traded-in my old system, to a friend, along with all the CDs and stuff. Now I have no copy of Windows XP. I only need it as a virtual environment that's better than Wine, for better compatibility with school related applications, like MS Access.

Buying it used.
I don't want to download anything illegally, so I think I might buy some cheap used copy off amazon, for $45. Is there a cheaper way of buying Windoh$ OS?
Note: I can buy Windows 7 for ~$30 but it's way too fat for my little netbook SSD.

Just the COA.
Is there a way just to buy the licensing/COA so it would be legal to download the ISO? Or is that impossible through M$?

Thanks!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

One way to get a key is to ask around for someone disposing of an old pc/laptop and see if they are willing to part with the COA. As for the media, Microsoft couldn't care less about where you get an install disk from as long as the license is valid. Just watch out for torrents/warez disks because frequently they integrate malware. :P

Just beware that not all XP disks are created equal, you need the media to match the license or it won't accept the key. Although as long as you get a disk that is of the same general type (home/pro/mce) it is generally possible to work around it.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Krom wrote:One way to get a key is to ask around for someone disposing of an old pc/laptop and see if they are willing to part with the COA.
I think the COA on that workstation can't be transfered with out breaking a rule, because it's normally in the form of a sticker when it comes with a machine. Or do you think i could purchase an old machine and rip off the sticker, to put on mine, and call it legal? That could work, I think.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You can transfer a Windows license from one machine to another machine and Microsoft can't do or say anything. As long as the copy on the source machine is destroyed it is perfectly legal.

When you have a COA, you have a license to use ONE copy of Windows but there is no law that says it has to always be on the same hardware. The worst you will have to do is call the automated MS activation line because it may not be able to automatically activate over the internet.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

A couple of weeks ago I bought a “legit” copy of XP Pro, from e-Bay. It was sold as a OEM install disk.

Setup never asked my for my Product Key during installation, and when I used KeyFinder to pull the key from the reggie, it was different from the key on the label.

So I’m pretty much clueless…But, I thought I would share that.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I JUST FOUND AND OLD XP PRO CD!! It was in a box of old computer junk! It must have gone to my old dell. But I have no trace of the COA! :(

Is this illegal for me to use with out the COA? By the way, that old Dell has been butchered to hell; Windows is no longer installed on it.

My system dosen't have a cd so I'll have to rip it to ISO so i can boot it in VB in Linux.

edit:

Never mind, I can't find the key that goes with this...
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

issac, check PM
Cyker
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Cyker »

If you want to be in strict compliance with the EULA, OEM copies can't be transferred between machines, but there is a daft loop hole as, again strictly speaking, you can buy an OEM licence with almost any piece of hardware (e.g. a hard disk)!

Retail PCs like Dell, HP usually have the COA as a sticker stuck to the actual system case with the key on it (This is a not-so-subtle hint that the licence isn't transferrable according to the EULA).

If you actually buy an OEM licence, you get that sticker and are supposed to stick it to the 'OEM' hardware.

'Proper' retail licences seem to come in a few forms, but usually its on a green patterned bit of paper or attached to a manual.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re:

Post by AceCombat »

Cyker wrote:'Proper' retail licences seem to come in a few forms, but usually its on a green patterned bit of paper or attached to a manual.

umm yeah, most of us already know that part. and to be truly honest, some are blue if they are pre SP2 XP
Cyker
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Cyker »

Yeah, as I said there are a few different forms.

Heck, the bulk enterprise ones (Which rule because they don't need activation \\o/) don't even have physical CoA's! :lol:
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Isaac,

I have a XP home code you can use. I have it memorized. I don't think I have it installed on any systems anymore... All my systems are either 7, Vista, or XP pro : )
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re:

Post by AceCombat »

Thenior wrote:Isaac,

I have a XP home code you can use.

wont work. tried it before