Dink Smallwood - A free RPG that I'm recommending.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Dink Smallwood - A free RPG that I'm recommending.

Post by Isaac »

Over spring break I started a game called Dink Smallwood. It seems a bit low quality, but I've enjoyed a few of its aspects.
The dialog and story sounds like they were written by a teenager. The art is terrible but the graphics are done in a style similar to Diablo 1, which I kind of like. In fact, lots of the game is similar to Diablo, where you select a weapon and spell as a primary and secondary attack. You can level up and decide how to spend you skill points (magic, defense, or strength), which is also feature Diablo has. But the game play and UI is closer to Zelda. The environments even display one square at a time, just like all the NES Zelda games, where the birds eye camera only moves once you've reach the edge of the screen.
If you want a free game on your laptop, perhaps when your internet connection doesn't work, you might enjoy this one.
http://www.rtsoft.com/dink/
Cyker
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Cyker »

AIIEEE!! NOOOO! NOT THAT GAME!!!! THE CHEESE!!! THE CHEEEEESE!!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Cyker wrote:AIIEEE!! NOOOO! NOT THAT GAME!!!! THE CHEESE!!! THE CHEEEEESE!!
lol, you necro poster! :p

Now that this is back from the dead, I'll give an update...

I don't like that you're suppose to kill ducks in this game for fun. Why would that be part of the game? I don't like games that promote killing ducks. :cry:

I stopped playing after I got to the town that makes you hack your way through a room full of ducks.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

yeah and playing games where you shoot people instead is so much better...?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Thenior wrote:yeah and playing games where you shoot people instead is so much better...?
yes.

edit: i see your point; a duck could deserve it. :roll:
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I played dink a LONG time ago and, if I'm not misremembering which game this is, the whole \"wife beating\" angle really disturbed me.

There is an NPC who beats up his wife. While you watch. If I remember correctly, she is your sister (aunt?). If you ignore the situation, he beats her up. If you kill the worthless waste of oxygen, his wife spends the rest of the game crying about how you murdered the man she loved.

Might be realistic, but it sucked the fun right out of the game for me.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Kilarin wrote:I played dink a LONG time ago and, if I'm not misremembering which game this is, the whole "wife beating" angle really disturbed me.

There is an NPC who beats up his wife. While you watch. If I remember correctly, she is your sister (aunt?). If you ignore the situation, he beats her up. If you kill the worthless waste of oxygen, his wife spends the rest of the game crying about how you murdered the man she loved.

Might be realistic, but it sucked the fun right out of the game for me.
Wow, yeah, i forgot about that part.
Cyker
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Cyker »

It was a very silly game :P

There were some good fan mods for it tho'.

But of all the free games you could have picked! :lol:

For instance, Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen were also released for free on the SCUMMVM website, and recently I've gotten addicted to playing OpenTTD on my Eee while, ironically, commuting :lol:

But I am sorry for reviving the evil dink thread :(

(I'm not even supposed to be here; I just popped in from the HLP forums to pinch some of Sickone's 3DP dongles; Playing Descent makes me dizzy and disoriented! :lol:)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Cyker wrote:It was a very silly game :P

There were some good fan mods for it tho'.

But of all the free games you could have picked! :lol:

For instance, Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen were also released for free on the SCUMMVM website, and recently I've gotten addicted to playing OpenTTD on my Eee while, ironically, commuting :lol:

But I am sorry for reviving the evil dink thread :(

(I'm not even supposed to be here; I just popped in from the HLP forums to pinch some of Sickone's 3DP dongles; Playing Descent makes me dizzy and disoriented! :lol:)
lol it's cool :p