Firefox 4 slow?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Firefox 4 slow?

Post by thewolfe »

Seems lately since I updated to Firefox 4 it's gotten slower. Didn't seem that way at first. Maybe I have to many add-ons. Tried disabling then ...no help.

Anyone else think it's slow? Chrome is speeding right along and so is IE9
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Firefox 4 slow?

Post by Isaac »

I'm exclusively a linux user and even I'm interested in Explorer 9. I hear it uses GPU processing for all kinds of stuff, unlike previous versions. And it's HTML5 friendly. Which is really important since cloud apps might completely replace desktop apps for most people. Check this out: http://mugtug.com/sketchpad/
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Try disabling the hardware acceleration in Firefox.

In Options>Advanced: disable "Use hardware acceleration when available".
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

TigerRaptorFX, that seemed to make a diff. I'll play around with it and enable some of my addons, and see how she do, thanks.
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

I didn't have slow downs but I had the browser crash on me from time to time, but disabling hardware acceleration also seemed to do the trick for me been running rock solid since then. Just putting it out there :wink:
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Enable all my add-ons and TigerRaptorFX's fix is still working.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Isaac wrote:I'm exclusively a linux user and even I'm interested in Explorer 9. I hear it uses GPU processing for all kinds of stuff, unlike previous versions. And it's HTML5 friendly. Which is really important since cloud apps might completely replace desktop apps for most people. Check this out: http://mugtug.com/sketchpad/
FF 4 supports hardware acceleration - I also know the current Beta of chrome does as well (recent huge JS speed increase).

IE9 is the best IE version yet - but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It just copies everyone else.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

There are also other ways to increase the speed in Firefox. I also hesitated to mention them at first, since they can be buggy. So use them at your own risk!

One is called Fasterfox which can throw Firefox into overdrive in browsing speed. But at the same time, it may act as a double edge sword.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... erfox-9148

And the other is one called BetterCache. Bandwidth friendly.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ettercache
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Thenior wrote:IE9 is the best IE version yet - but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It just copies everyone else.
Actually, it was the first one to release with HW acceleration... it would be more accurate to say they copied IE9. (Which is probably not all that accurate, since I suspect the idea had already occurred to multiple browser vendors by the time anyone announced it anyway...)