Free ★■◆● By Hammer Smith

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Free **** By Hammer Smith

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:
callmeslick wrote:what is informative to consider in the cases of Greece, Italy and the US is tax revenue collection. Both Greece and Italy are hampered by extremely high rates of tax evasion. The US is hampered by a tax code that gives away massively to the wealthiest 5% of the population,
it's the same problem in both countries. it's just looked at differently. what one country calls tax evasion the other country call tax breaks to the wealthy. it's just semantics. plus this country has taxed corporations so highly that they have chosen to "evade" those taxes by going over seas with their business's

agreed, CUDA, we have actually managed to legalize large-scale tax evasion.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Heretic wrote:
Not So Slick wrote:As for the education bit, I would argue that the gap in education is worse in this nation between rich and everyone else than it was one hundred years ago.
So you admit about 100 years after it's creation the Department of ED when it was moved into the white house Education has been going down hill. Even faster now that you can't fire a teacher.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/2 ... 19336.html

actually, Heretic, it is all the political meddling of the past couple decades, vilifying education(public education) and playing games with funding that have made the disparity worse. At any rate, you don't seem to be arguing my point to Flip and felt compelled to toss in some sort of nasty stupidity into the quote-line to boot. Nice.job. Oh, and that bit about NYCity teachers in
a sort of limbo has been going on for at least 20 or 30 years. The total number at present seems high, until anyone with intelligence ponders how many teachers work in the city educational system. Many of those cases have been well documented as bureaucratic politics.....far different from your rather stupid suggestion that bad teachers can't be fired. As always, real life is a series of grey areas, the shortsighted and dimwitted try to make them black and white.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:

"felt compelled to toss in some sort of nasty stupidity"
"The total number at present seems high, until anyone with intelligence ponders"
"far different from your rather stupid suggestion"
" the shortsighted and dimwitted try to make them black and white."
You Have a nasty habit of denigrating someones response or comment here. Do you do this in real life or are you so diminutive that you can only talk like this in the obscurity of the internet?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

nah, I'm pretty blunt in person........especially to my friends.
George Orwell---"1984"
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

fliptw wrote:15,000,000 that would need to be forced to work the jobs vacated by illegals.

how many of your workers would pick strawberries for 12 hours days for 60 bux a day?
For about $150, I trailed cattle for 36 hours straight yesterday. Do the math on that one.
I'm a blue-eyed whitey, and any one of my blue-eyed whitey buddies out-work the Mexicans out here every day. America just doesn't have a work ethic any more.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

SilverFJ wrote:For about $150, I trailed cattle for 36 hours straight yesterday. Do the math on that one.
I'm a blue-eyed whitey, and any one of my blue-eyed whitey buddies out-work the Mexicans out here every day. America just doesn't have a work ethic any more.

and why is that? Is it due to a lack of 'blue-eyed whiteys'?
George Orwell---"1984"
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Actually, that's opposite my point.

My point was that race or immigration has nothing to do with who can and will do a job for little pay, but there are too many "blue-eyed whitey's" out there who don't care about the simple satisfaction of good hard work. Get that work ethic back, and we won't need immigrants to do that kind of work. We can all do it, and me and my buddies are living proof.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

SilverFJ wrote:
fliptw wrote:15,000,000 that would need to be forced to work the jobs vacated by illegals.

how many of your workers would pick strawberries for 12 hours days for 60 bux a day?
For about $150, I trailed cattle for 36 hours straight yesterday. Do the math on that one.
I did, and it comes out to a pathetically low hourly wage, far below even minimum wage, not to mention an actual liveable wage. Unless that 36 is a typo, there's no way in hell anyone should be working for that little.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

SilverFJ wrote:For about $150, I trailed cattle for 36 hours straight yesterday. Do the math on that one.
You say you got paid about $150 for trailing cattle. In my opinion, having worked summers picking fruit when I was young, I would rather ride the horse for a living. Apparently, farmers in Washington can't find enough Americans now to pick their apples since all the recent immigration crackdowns. And the job pays about the same per day, $150 - $200, if the worker is efficient enough.

http://www.kgw.com/home/Gregoire-WA-app ... 22013.html

So which job would you rather do, go out into the orchards and pick apples all day, or ride a horse?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

No, 36 wasn't a typo, it was a literal day and a half of straight riding. But the thing is it needed to be done, and I had no problem doing it. It's a day wage of $100 no matter what, typically for 8-14 hour days. Some days (very few and far in-between) we don't do anything but feed the horses for an hour and watch football, still get the $100. SO we're not slaves or anything, we just work a very difficult, brutal, injurous job for low pay, but there's that feeling of accomplishment and the true feeling a man should have after risking life and limb to get a job done.

And TC, as for picking berries compared to riding in the mountains trailing horned Coriantes in the rocks and trees for miles on end, the only thing making me choose riding is the love of it. We're not strolling through the woods on a sunny day with our girlfriends, it's snow, wind, 20 degree weather at best, the danger of getting thrown under, limb smacked, etc... If it was just a job I would pick picking berries any day, but it's a part of my life and culture and I love every minute of it.

On top of this, there's 5 of us in this bunkhouse, we have no living expenses, etc. A lot like the mexicans that work up here in Montana.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's just it, you wouldn't "love" to go all day and pick apples for the paltry wage you'd get. That makes all the difference in the world on what pay you'll accept for any job you'd do for a living.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Interesting read on the subject of dirty or low wage jobs that Americans don't want to do.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/wh ... 92011.html
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

great article tc
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Free ★■◆● By Hammer Smith

Post by Top Gun »

That really is a great read. Expecting people in this country to work for what is essentially an unlivable wage is an absurd business model.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Top Gun wrote:That really is a great read. Expecting people in this country to work for what is essentially an unlivable wage is an absurd business model.

Yes, that guy should raise the prices on his product, so he can pay his people more.

Yea…sure, then his customers just go elsewhere to get fish. Consumers in this country are clueless. tc this goes to the other thing I was saying about the relationship between prices and jobs.

But, I doubt people will ever get it.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Top Gun wrote:That really is a great read. Expecting people in this country to work for what is essentially an unlivable wage is an absurd business model.
yes, but without that, we wouldn't have our cheap food!
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:

"felt compelled to toss in some sort of nasty stupidity"
"The total number at present seems high, until anyone with intelligence ponders"
"far different from your rather stupid suggestion"
" the shortsighted and dimwitted try to make them black and white."
You Have a nasty habit of denigrating someones response or comment here. Do you do this in real life or are you so diminutive that you can only talk like this in the obscurity of the internet?
Yes it seems he just wants to call me stupid, dimwitted, ignorant and the like. Strange it's usually the stupid, dimwitted, ignorant and the like that resort to that. Not the highly educated person he seems to be.