ID4 2: Dead. Another sad day.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

MehYam wrote:Here's a site listing the "realism" of ID4. A fun read (and much more entertaining than the movie was).
Ah, now there's an interesting read. :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

ID4 is great! I don't see how anyone could view it as a waste.
MOB-Messenger wrote:"Harry Pothead"
lol! There is something very wrong with Harry Potter, but it's that it is terribly occult; very bad/dangerous.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Ok, you have a shorter attention span than I thought.

You couldnt finish the Thrawn trilogy? Oh jeeze man, has TV and cinima axed your attention span that bad?

Apparetly it has, because kuruptnever said anything about you having the attention span of a gnat on ADHD medication....I did >:)

You are the perfect example of why kids shouldnt be allowed to watch much tv when theyre young. It makes you unable to concentrate and it makes you completely lose interest in things.

No, sitting through the movie and the games and your friends comments does not make you qualified to diss LOTR. You must read it to earn that right.

How many other books have you started and never finished? Go finish a few of them, crazy morman! You people scare me!!! :o
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

hehe, I can finish computer text books >:)

I read and finished a few scary book novels, some westerns that my Dad wanted me to read, the Descent novels.

I liked those because I could understand them. Now Descent novels I could understand being that it was based on a game that I play on a regular basis. (Duh ;))

Now, the reason the SW books never really pulled me in. (I read about halfway through the Courtship, then I read through 2 and 1/2 books of the Thrawn Trilogy. I just got sick of it because It had so many characters all with names that I could barely even pronounce so it got irritating after a while. The story was good but it was all the jargon and strange names that kept me confused. I had to read parts of the books 10-15 times before I fully digested who was who and what was what. It got old and boreing after a while.

I did read some of the short novels on the solo kids. I liked the first one about the crashed Tie Fighter. I read that when I was little though but at least I could keep up with the whole story pretty well being that there was less of the confuseing names in that one.

For the other books you about need to buy a SW glossery and read all the way through it to get it. Although I did like the long discription of the Lady Luck. I envisioned it exactly as it was in the art made by others. That's another series I would like to attempt at reading again but I really wish the would choose names that you can pronounce. :P I'm talking about the alien and wookie names here. :P

Which reminds me, I should re-instal JK2 one of these days. :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Apparently the book and the movie are two entirely different things according to those who have spoken here.
No, that's not what we're saying.

The movies WITH knowledge of the books, taken together, are very different from the movies ALONE. (The books themselves are very worthwhile, but most of the comments here have been directed at the value of the movies given the books...)

If I'd never read the books and didn't have a clue who the characters were, I'd have probably thought LotR was a neat but way-too-long set of movies. But, having read the books, I knew who the characters were, and therefore I was able to pick up on tons and tons of subtleties in the movies that tied them back to the deep and rich heritage of the books. The books are among the greatest English literature ever, and the movies are a great supplement to them. As stand-alone movies, they don't even compare.

Judging LotR based on just the movies, and never reading the books, is kind of like judging the Bible based on "The Passion of The Christ" without ever reading the book, or judging the Harry Potter books based on the Harry Potter video game without ever reading the books. The movies and the video games don't really stand on their own -- what makes them good is the way the complement the underlying work.

The underlying work, without the movies, is a classic. The underlying work, with the movies complementing it, is even better. The movies, without the underlying work, are irrelevant.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Yeh that moviephysics link that MehYam posted is great.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

you totally missed everything i said. you didn't figure out any of the meaning at all :(

i'm not trying to be your friend, i'm trying to thump some sense into your head.

apparently i'm thumping a brick wall, so i'll just let you do what i did and ignore all the thumps people tried to help me with and learn the hard way. good luck with that.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Attention span of a gnat.

Sad.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Messenger you need to go back to making websites again. :)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Ummmm Kurupt, I didn't miss what you said.... I believe from what I said, I allready have managed to prove that you are the one who missed what I said. :)

Secondly, as I said before, watching a movie for 9 hours, reading painfully through 2 1/2 books, being able to read through textbooks from front to cover, and spending from 6:00 P.M. in the freezing cold outside of a theater with no food and haveing a nasty case of the flue, yes I did have th flue at the time I went to see ROTK, and camping out until 3:00 A.M., and playing the same game that for 5 years that really was a piece of crap compared too the first two on a 56k connect that rarely got under 900 ping the attention span of a gnat. :)

I also wouldn't have held a conversation as dumb as this for this long if that statement was true.

So, just about everything you've said today is a crock of bull Korupt. :P Really man, you need to read my statements through again being that you didn't seem to get them.

That's pretty good compared to the ammount of time most of you play a video game demo before you get bored and delete it from your hard drive. :)

I have also only been in one gameing clan in my entire life over the net.

I also, have ADD so yes, I do have a problem with my attention span but I manage it pretty good compared to most with this problem.

And TW, I have much more important things to focus on on other than websites right now.

You guys act like I cut off your privates and sold them on ebay. It's a movie!! It's not real!! I know Birdseye looks kinda like Frodo but I promise it isn't him. :D

Not meaning that in a bad way Birds. ;)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

One other thing to take note of. Every movie in the past few years, fantasy or sci-fi has had waaaay to many things going on all at once. I loved the original Star Wars. It was perfect. It had a great story, excellent characters, good music, and at the time, state of the art special effects.

Then Epsode 1-3 came out and they focused more on haveing a whole bunch of side plots all running at the same time and massive battles with lots of explosions and scenes that moved so fast that some began to hate the series.

Then came along Matrix. The first was awsome. But did you notice how many things were going on at once? Usually 1 or 2 mind bending events. Yet you managed to get to know the characters and the plot and it pulled you in. Then the sequal came out. It was a nice special effects show but again another mish-mash of events. Then Revolutions came out and it was even worse. It was a really cool explosive movie and it had most of the elements for characters and an emotional plot line and plot twisters that the LOTR trilogy had but it became so cheesy and moved so fast that it was easy to start to loose interest. The fight scenes carried on way too long to the point where you started wish it could just move on to the next scene allready.

The original SW Trilogy also had many of the same elements that LOTR had for character work and an emotional value, yet for many years it wasn't even considered a work of litterature at all period. I loved this series and felt that it should have been somewhere in there. Also, consider the award I got when I was a kid for being the student in school who read the original books the most times in a row. :)

A few years back I would have said that this was the best work ever created. But I've really grown out of the fantasy stuff I guess. Sure, it should be marked as a great work in litterature but not THE GREATEST WORK IN LITTERATURE!!

Whatever happened to Homer or Shakespear? I've studied a lot of their stuff. It's been a long time but I remember it was actually pretty interesting stuff to read. People considering LOTR to be the greatest work in litterature is what bugs me.

Now, I'm speaking of this as a movie anyway so why are we even worried about the books.

Sure, one day, I'll see if I can borrow a copy of the book off from one of my friends. Maybe the Hobbit if they have it and give it a read. Maybe it'll be good and I'll like it. But I still say that the movie itself really wasn't as impressive or as interesting to me as most movies that have a lot less events takeing place all at once.

Now, Korupt, what I'm getting here, is your point was basically, to tell me I need to read the books before I make such a statement on this board and that that is why everyone is makeing fun of me. Ok, when I get a copy of one of the books I'll read it and we'll see what I have to say. However, while doing this, you pretty much have insulted everything that I enjoy, my hobbies, my personal life, my religion, my beliefs and many of the things I happen to love. That is certainly not the way, you will win my respect or my will to read the novels. It is a good way to make me pissed off and argue on a BB for a long time though. :)

Now Vader, since that last "mature" comment you made, I take my complement on the fact that at least you didn't have to completely bash me. I respected that but since you pushed the I have an attention span of gnat issue, after I explianed that I do have ADHD, you had to continue to taunt me. You actually earned some respect for your argument and blew it to bits all in the same night. Congrats! :D

I'm sorry I bashed LOTR. To some it may be a wonderfull and exciteing genre but I just don't really care for it. What I did was unfair by bashing it because others bashed something that I liked. I just hold my own opinion on it. I really don't care for the genre as a whole. Sure, it's great for some who like it. Some people like Star Trek, Some like Star War's, Some like LOTR.... so what?

it's like asking what is better: Pepsi or Coke. :P

Also, to add to my attention span being that of a gnat theory, I like movies and novels that are far less complex and have far less events that take place in them and I can read or watch them all the way through without once looking at my watch or wanting to go to the bathroom. :) I don't need a big special effects display to remain entertained. :)

But like I said, Pepsi or Coke? :) It's all a matter of opinion and taste.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

People considering LOTR to be the greatest work in litterature is what bugs me.

Now, I'm speaking of this as a movie anyway so why are we even worried about the books.
Except that people have said LotR is "one of the greatest works in literature", not "the single greatest"... so why does that bug you?

And nobody has said that about the movie, since movies are not literature.

So, why are we talking about the books if you're talking about the movies? Because the movies can't really be judged apart from the books. You say the movies weren't all that great -- and I agree, because you haven't read the books, the movies wouldn't be all that great. So, my recommendation to you is to read the books -- because then you can make valid statements about the movies. (And also because the books are very enjoyable, and reading them makes the movies very enjoyable.)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yep. Well, I'll give it a shot as long as I can make it through the jargon and bs that I can't even pronounce I'll try to make it through The Hobbit. It might not be a while unless my buddy will let me borrow a copy if he has one being that I don't even have the money right now for those sorts of things.

However, I do ask that people show a little more respect for some of the things I enjoy and for my opinion of those things.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Try the public library. I hear they have books there you can read without buying them ;)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

no dude, trust me. you missed the meaning and intent of everything i said completely.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Lothar wrote:Try the public library. I hear they have books there you can read without buying them ;)
Yeah, but then he'll get bored trying to figure out the card catalog. :mrgreen:

Seriously, if you get bored reading the Thrawn trilogy, theres something seriously wrong with you. If my 11 year old niece can read them without any problems, then you've got some SERIOUS issues dude.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

This comeing from the villian that was in Fifth Element :D

When a topic like this dies, let it die. Guys I got your opinion. You made it across. I know you do not want to accept my opinion and wish to force your beliefs and likes on me. I got it allready. Now, leave it be.

MD-1032, for about the 4000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th time, I am ADD and I hate the bs jargon that are in those books. I can read a good western or War novel easily. Or a good spook story. I can even read a text book word for word and enjoy it. :) You ever take a book on 3D modeling and read it from front to cover? :)

There are probably many others out there that haven't read the series. Why? Because it doesn't interest them. I liked the orginal books. I also never really saw the point in reading a book that would later get trashed in Lucas's original series. :)

But they threw too many names in until it got annoying.

I hate such names as....

Wook Ah' Touk Ah' Ookie or Wicki Tow Ow :P They weren't that bad, but bad enough.

Wish I could even have pronounced those stupid force repelent animals Thrawn kept around. Also, Thrawn was a Blue guy with red glowing eyes. :D Ran out of good creatures I guess. :D

Then there were those other strange aliens the Empire used as a slave race. I never could remember any of their names for 5 minutes. :P Probably because I didn't even know how to say them. :P I was 9 at the time though so I might should give it another shot too. Even though I thought it boreing.

I guess my problem is that I get out into the sun every once in a while. :D You know, the real world. You guys might not know what it is. But if you put on some clean underwear and some pants and walk outside your dark room every once in a while. It really is an amazeing place. :)

Also, here is another interesting thing....

You guys say that if I read the LOTR books and say that I didn't like them, that you will stop calling me names.

Yet, I did read the Thrawn series until the very last part on the final book and decided they were dumb, yet you guys continue to make fun of me? Hmmmm... interesting. You guys contradict yourselves :D

So, in other words, even if I do read the books and say that they absolutly sucked that you will still continue to harrass me :P

Yep, it's got to be the sunlight!! :P

Seriously, let a dead horse..... well, be dead. You don't need to beat it.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

[beating dead horse]You said you were 9 when you read the Thrawn series. Read them again while you're older and a little bit more versed in the world and see what you think of them now. Maybe they might make a little bit more sense, but then again maybe not.

Same applies to the LOTR series. We can accept that you just don't care for the genre if you've atleast read the books, thats fine. However you kept putting your foot in your mouth when it came to opinions on a trilogy that you have no educated opinion on from never having read the books. You simply based your beliefs off 3 motion pictures and the ravings of your friends.

Read the books.[/beating dead horse]
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

ADD (the 'illness') is complete tripe.

anyone who's labelled that usually doesn't know how they really learn

anyone who labels people that should have their liscence revoked.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Ty,

Not really, this has been my own opinion.

My freinds love the series and are obsessed with it. I've been in arguments with them about this as well but most of the time I just keep my mouth shut being that I don't like to insult them and I'm still willing to enjoy a good action flick even if it's 9 hours long. :)

A couple of my friends think that they are Frodo :P

I never could figure out why people liked the blond elf. I thought the King was still the best character. :P

However, perhapps you are right on the fact that I need to read the novels.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

If there was a way I could trade you Ferno, I would. At least I wouldn't call you a liar.

For me, everything around me is a distraction, since I was born.

OCD is definitly real though. I find myself constantly in fear that something wrong will happen if I don't check the stove twice.... and I must check the stove twice, twice. If I misscount, I have to check it twice 5 times, if I misscount 5 twice, I have to do it 8 times... If I misscount 8 times, I have to do it 12 times and so on.

I have to do this as well with my Mom's clock and I have to brush the back of my hand against the refrigerator like this.

Sometimes there are certain things I will say so many times such as telling my parents goodnight. They about want to kill me before the nights over. ;)

I also have a fear of spiders so I have to check my bed and the ceiling with a flash light so many times and I have to turn the alarm on and off a certain ammount of times or listen to specific song before I go to bed. If I glance something in the road, I will have to go down that road a number of times because I fear I may have hit it.

If I don't do these, my life doesn't feel right and I have this bad feeling something bad will happen if I don't do these things. However, I have managed to fight many of these probems off but they sneak up on me every once in a while.

Things like these are real.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

don't need to messenger. i was there. then I adapted and told others how to adapt to my unique way of leraning.

"For me, everything around me is a distraction, since I was born."
This is what's known as 'being a kid'. don't let them fool you into beliving otherwise.

for fifteen years I was told I needed to take drugs to be normal in society. drugs that turned me into a zombie. that killed my appetite. that turned me into a bag of bones. I would thank the psych that put me on that junk with a nice slap upside the head and a boot to the ass, but he's dead. at least he won't be poisoning other people's minds now.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Ive been off psych meds for about 4 years now and Ive never been happier.

A great deal of the psych illnesses are hoopla and hype, and only very few are legitimate. The biggest problem I think, is that parents lately are too quick to hit the panick button and settle for putting their kids on psych drugs instead of digging down through the dirt to find the real problem. I know thats what happened with me and what my parents and pseudoparents did to me. They stuck me on psych meds when I was 11 or so and I became a different person, and I pretty much stopped liking who I was after that. But anyway...
mob-messenger opened his pie hole and wrote:There are probably many others out there that haven't read the series. Why? Because it doesn't interest them. I liked the orginal books. I also never really saw the point in reading a book that would later get trashed in Lucas's original series.
Those people probably dont go around saying that the series is over rated just because they dont like the genre. Say what you want about the movies, as any movie can be hit or miss for some people, but dont trash the seies itself unless youve read the books.

As for the Thrawn Trilogy, I'd reread it if I were you since youre older now. Find someplace distraction free to read in. Maybe with low lighting and minimal electronic lights.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

weeeeeeeee.....
controversy and arguements. This topic has been a real pleasure to read. I love laughing. :)
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Messenger: I urge you to read the books because I truly believe that after reading them, you will be glad you did. I was introduced to Tolkiens work back when I was in grade school, 5th grade to be exact, when our teacher would read us a chapter a day in class, with lights dimmed. He read "The Hobbit" to us and it left me wanting more. I went out and got a copy of "The Hobbit" for myself and after reading it myself, proceeded to get "The Fellowship of the Ring", "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King" that were all listed at the back of "The Hobbit" and proceeded to read them.
The world Tolkien creates is complete in all respect and by the end of the books, I truly believed this could not be a work of fiction. What was the mysterious "Red Book" and why did the characters in the books seem to bear a striking resemblance to characters in the middle ages? These were the questions and visions that came about in my mind and as I re-read the books again, and again, the world only deepened until it became a real place(at least in my mind) that I could go to when the "real world" wasn't as nice as I would have liked.
Through the years, I have read the books probably near 30 times and I can truly say I have never tired of going back to the magical place that Tolkien created.

When I became older, I attempted to read the "Silmarillion" many times, gave up many times and finally about 5 years ago, was able to finish it. I am glad I did as it chronicles the beginnings of middle earth and as the Lord of the Rings does, has many religious overtones and nicely ties up the entire series.
Being that I am not myself religious, I found it odd that I would enjoy these works but after reading an essay by Tolkien about his description of what a fantasy story should be, it all made sense. What Tolkien creates is a world for the adult, not the child and although "The Hobbit" was very much intended to be a childrens fantasy story, the Lord of the Rings, and the Silmarillion are full-blown adult fantasy novels.
Orcs, elves, goblins, wizards, and even Sauron himself are indeed fantasy creatures and may in-fact make you think these stories are for kids, but they are symbolic as most things in the story. The books describe a world that could be considered perfect to adults(and kids somewhat) in that they strike at the heart of our fears, and desires. They are not childish books that seek only to entertain.

You may think that seeing the movies is good enough, and normally I would agree with you but I must disagree strongly with you on this. The movies are "Peter Jacksons" take of the books and only that. They do not IMHO do justice to the books and I know I'll probably be flamed for this, but the movies do an injustice to the books as they put solid flesh and bones form to something that was meant to be created in the mind of the reader. It has been my opinion since reading the books the first time some 20 years ago that literature that great stands on its own and can not be done better by anyone other than Tolkien himself.

You say you are interested in science and technology, not Gandalf the White. I love technology, I love programming, electronics, cars, and everything scientific and yet I make room for the Lord of the Rings because I do not dream of robots or faster computers, I do not lust for a shiny car, or a nice stereo, when I dream, I dream of a world like Tolkiens where the very ground is alive, and good and evil really do exist. Where elves sing in beautiful living forests and talk with every living creature. Where the battles are stupendous and the enemies spine chilling. When the cold, gray, concrete jungle, we call Earth can't bring the kind of spiritual and emotional healing that I need, I know I can find some solice in Tolkiens "Middle Earth".
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Topher wrote:
mob-messenger wrote:I liked it because it was actually pretty realalistic.
oh my God...I should smack you...so hard.

Ok, list one thing in that movie that was realistic.

I dare you.

I dare you to think of one solid fact so that I can say "Hey! It was in ID4 so that means it's true!"

Double dare you.
E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!! :P

Btw, books and literature genres are a matter of taste; and taste is something you simply cannot argue about. :wink:
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Topher wrote:
mob-messenger wrote:Ok, list one thing in that movie that was realistic.

I dare you.

I dare you to think of one solid fact so that I can say "Hey! It was in ID4 so that means it's true!"

Double dare you.
That red bi-plane really does fly.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

SuperSheep, that was a fantastic post. You pretty much summed up the way I feel about Tolkien's creations, too. Middle-Earth is the most in-depth, real world ever born of an author's mind. If there was any way to actually travel there, I'd be off in a heartbeat :).
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I might as well add that I liked the LOTR series so much that I'm naming all of my computers on my network after LOTR. Have been doing that for a while now :)
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Top Gun wrote:SuperSheep, that was a fantastic post. You pretty much summed up the way I feel about Tolkien's creations, too. Middle-Earth is the most in-depth, real world ever born of an author's mind. If there was any way to actually travel there, I'd be off in a heartbeat :).
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Diedel, you said it best. Really I guess I can't out LOTR just because it isn't my thing but I can like something else better just because I happen to like it better. That is taste ;)

I guess I shouldn't really argue that fact.

Also keep in mind that taste and opinion are related :)

Ok, now, I will give the books a read and it may be true that it creates a very involving and in-depth world. Star War's also has an extremely in-depth universe.

Now, when I dream, I dream of where we are now or what it will be like in 10 years. Haveing a family of my own, haveing a job that hopefully I will enjoy and a wife who loves me and that I can dadicate my loyalty to in exchange for hers. :) Not faries and wizards. :) Though they are cool for some, I prefer something much more real. Something that could happen. :)

As you can see, I do not dream of materialistic things either, but I dream of something thats real and could provide me some happiness. :)

Another interesting thing, in my religion, we believe that if you can acquire the highest level of being a good person and fullfill all of God's commands, that you will eventually gain the power to become like-God and be able to create your own worlds. At least from what I have gathered from my religion. As I have allready said to many people, I could care less about becomeing a God or creating worlds. What I would love to do, is be an explorer and have a wife who I can travel from place to place with, exploreing each new corner of the universe while takeing our time and enjoying it. I would prefer not being perfect or being the best person in the universe and haveing this rather than being the best and becomeing a God. Many treat me as if I'm stupid because this and it is one of the things I disagree on. Sorry guys if I'm getting into religion here. I'm just pointing out that there is a difference in opinions and sometimes people prefer simple things to complex things. :)

" I dream of a world like Tolkiens where the very ground is alive, and good and evil really do exist."

We allready live in a world where this exists. Good and evil is something we face very day. Even in it's least observable forms. That's when it's most lethal. Every book, game, or movie I know of also has an element of this in them. :)

Also, you must live in a city or something because where I live, the ground is very much alive :) Almost everywhere I've been in real life other than my room, there are places all around me that are like this. Canyon's, ravines, trees, flowers, thunderstorms, mountains, volcanic areas, rivers, and lakes. :) No hobbits, faries, or wizards but many interesting places.

Just makeing a few points. Anyway, I will read them.... eventually but I have many more important things to take care of right now. One is homework, another is work, another is friends, and another is something secrete I'm working on and I won't mention what it is until it is done. :) I haven't even told my brother what it is yet. :)
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Who cares whether he likes the LotR books/movies or not?

Messenger...we don't care. We really don't. Go home.

K, you're just jealous because he called ME an ass and not you. Trust me pal, I've been assin it up on the DBB for a while now, though you may have more overall ass-time seeing as how you're older than me, but that's beside the point. :P

BTW...why is this thread still open?
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

its too bad it would get deleted, or i'd take a pic of my ass and post it right here -----> <------- for you so you can see that i indeed am more of an ass than you, you assnewb.

<3
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Beowulf wrote: Messenger...we don't care. We really don't. Go home.

But I allready am. :D

Heh, I haven't really seen any flames in recent times in this thread so there really is no need to close it, unless Beo and K, want it beleted cause' they both are argueing about how big their aft ends are ;)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

mob-messenger wrote:MD-1032, for about the 4000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th time, I am ADD and I hate the bs jargon that are in those books. I can read a good western or War novel easily. Or a good spook story. I can even read a text book word for word and enjoy it. :) You ever take a book on 3D modeling and read it from front to cover? :)
Oh, so "turbolaser", "Stormtrooper" and "yasalamari" (the creature you previously mentioned you didn't recall the name for) is BS jargon? Maybe you were drunk when you read them? ;) Btw, being ADD is no excuse. Hell, I used to have a slight case of ADD when I was younger and I got over that. You might want to put on some headphones and play music while you read them next time.

btw, I don't have any 3d modelling books (sorry, I'm not paying $50 for a damn book) but I did read tech manuals cover to cover. ;)

Oh, before you make anymore sunshine quips, I suggest you look at the mugs of the people you're making lame attempts of insults against. ;) Lets just say they're more than enough to whip your goofy ass. :)

Beo: Probably because I've been too busy unpacking stuff to even go near my computer. ;)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Actually, I do call them BS jargon. I've never had a drink in my life other than caffien. :) You've never read a 3DS Max book? Most of it I learned on my own but I also read Modeling A Character in 3DS Max by Paul Steed. Very good read. He makes some very good points in that book and yep, it was worth the $50. Every penny. :) I've also been working my way through a Javascript textbook dureing the past while. Now, stormtrooper and Turbolaser aren't BS jargon but they at least Turbolaser is jargon. Yes, those names are necessary but still, yasalamamalamalauriany (err however you say it) is kinda hard to pronoumce :P

BTW, I never mean to insult you MD. Just sending a witty comment back at you since you sent one at me. along with the others. :) You insult me, I'll insult you back. Deal? Besides, you shouldn't take this board too seriously anyway. I don't.

The thing is, that I know that if you guys knew me in real life and spent a few hours with me, you would most likely find that I am very different from what you read on this board. You would also know that I have a fairly high attention span for being ADD. Yeah, I'm a goof at times, perhaps even a geek but I enjoy many movies/books that most would find totally boreing to read while others that people consider exciteing, I consider boreing. :) just a matter of taste.

Anyway, don't take my stuff so seriously guys but know that if you sling witty comments at me, I will sling them back because that's basically asking for it. :)

If you're referring to my comment to Beo and K, I also meant that as a joke because they basically were :)

I think this argument was settled a long time ago.

LOL, maybe I should be given a new rank of DBB Controversy :D Seems to follow me wherever I go. I don't really mean to, just kinda happens. Anyway. :P

I hope this settles it. I appologise for my part of things. This appology goes to everyone on this board. But I do ask that you guys respect the fact that I have different tastes than you guys do. Maybe their weird, but that's who I am. I have always had a little bit of rebel in me I guess. But if we were all the same, the world would kinda suck now, wouldn't it? ;)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

mob-messenger wrote:Actually, I do call them BS jargon. I've never had a drink in my life other than caffien. :) You've never read a 3DS Max book? Most of it I learned on my own but I also read Modeling A Character in 3DS Max by Paul Steed. Very good read.
Everything I've done I've learned on my own or by reading online tutorials. Thing is, the only place I can find 3dsmax books are at Barnes & Noble and they literally charge an arm and a leg for anything they can stick on a shelf.
Now, stormtrooper and Turbolaser aren't BS jargon but they at least Turbolaser is jargon. Yes, those names are necessary but still, yasalamamalamalauriany (err however you say it) is kinda hard to pronoumce :P
Don't ya mean pronounce? ;) Seriously though, its pronounce ya-sal-ah-mah-ri. Remember, Star Wars != Star Trek where BS jargon is an everyday thing. ;) (ie: ST: Voyager's non-existant particle of the week syndrome.) As for the names, they're meant to be that way. Not everyone speaks english (what they call 'basic'), and aren't human. Therefore, their names are going to be odd to us.
BTW, I never mean to insult you MD. Just sending a witty comment back at you since you sent one at me. along with the others. :) You insult me, I'll insult you back. Deal? Besides, you shouldn't take this board too seriously anyway. I don't.
lol, I don't take alot of things posted on here seriously. I'm just suggesting that you watch what you say as the 'pasty geek' stereotype doesn't even apply to alot of people that post here, and someone just might take it seriously and decide to look you up. ;)
I'm a goof at times, perhaps even a geek but I enjoy many movies/books that most would find totally boreing to read while others that people consider exciteing, I consider boreing. :) just a matter of taste.
Thing is, your taste wasn't in question, just your blind ignorant statements made earlier in this thread. Saying something is stupid just because you don't like it is eventually going to tork someone off. Alot of people like Tolkien's work. Hell, for some high-schools, "The Hobbit" is a required reading for an english course. Even some shows loosely base their stories off of Lord of the Rings (see: Babylon5) or other works by other writers. (see: Constant Shakespearian references in Gargoyles or Wizard of Oz references in Stargate SG-1, etc..) Lord of the Rings is definitely a love or hate series. You either like it, or you don't. Hell, I didn't care all that much for the first movie of the trilogy, but I loved the second one and can't wait till the third is out on DVD to finally see how it ends. Now to end my rambling before I go way off the subject matter, I highly recommend atleast reading the novels before you shrug it off as "crap". I don't have access to the novels so the movies are all I have.
LOL, maybe I should be given a new rank of DBB Controversy :D Seems to follow me wherever I go. I don't really mean to, just kinda happens. Anyway. :P
Nah, I'd go for "DBB ADD Knat". ;) btw, for someone with ADD, you make some really long ass posts. :P
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I think I'm gonna go start another Star Wars novel. Last week I finished "Shatterpoint" This week I start "X-Wing: Isard's Revenge". I went on a mad buying spree of StarWars books last year. I'm still reading them :) I started with the Thrawn trilogy. I cant wait till I get to the Hand of Thrawn. Yes, thats right, I'm being a powernerdly and reading them in chronological order (Except for Shatterpoint, which was a gift from a family member, and it looked more interesting than Isards Revenge, which is where I am in the books timeline). Makes it kida like a superlong continuous story that way. Its neat.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

MD-2389 erred massivly when he wrote:
Nah, I'd go for "DBB ADD Knat". ;) btw, for someone with ADD, you make some really long *** posts. :P
It's GNAT!!! GNAT DAMN YOU!!! Also, could you like, post those 4 pics I gave you to your webspace?

Edit: Woah...when did I make Fleet Admiral? And why is it Fleet Admiral? Why not Grand Admiral? :D
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Psst! I spelled it knat on purpose. ;)