Movie ticket pricing?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Movie ticket pricing?

Post by Mobius »

Just read an interesting article that movie ticket prices are the highest ever. Doesn't surprise me given the bloody and greedy nature of the MPAA, Hollywood, actors and studios spending almost-a-billion-dollars on flop after flop. :P

However, what sort of money are people paying to see movies?

Multiplex tickets are generally $13.00 in New Zealand at peak times. That's USD $8.50. and off peak as low as $8.00 NZD (That's USD 5.20).

For special theatres that have "love seats", couches, lazy-boy recliners and bars, you can pay up to $16-$18 per ticket (USD 10.00 to USD 11.70)

How does that compare to what YOU are paying?

Personally, I'm unkeen to support the MPAA by going to movies these days. I'll go to see things like Shrek2 at the movies, but will normally wait until they're on DVD when I can rent them for $8 (USD 5.20) overnight. Oh, and rip them. ;)
Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arbitar »

I usually go to this little hole in the wall theatre downtown. Its acctually not THAT bad, but it suits my needs. They always have to ajust the picture during the previews, which is funny, cause sometime peoples faces turn yellow or trees go red or somethin. But, onto the price. The popcorn and coke and stuff is really high priced. Think ... small Hersheys bar for 2 USD. But the tickets are reasonable priced, usually found at 4-5 USD. Its pretty good. The reason I go here is cause when a movie I want to see comes out, I always miss it, and the large theaters get rid of it. Then, I would usually have to wait for them on Video. But no! I just go to 'the theatre downtown' and watch it there. They'll have it for another week or so! :D
(I just smuggle in drinks or somethin hehehe)
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

The equivalent of $7 here in Israel. I don't go very often to be honest, the last one i went to was Spy Kids 3 with my younguns :roll: Before that i think it was Dogville, which i thoroughly enjoyed, but i prefer a good book and a beer.

FC
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

$7 for prime time here. $4.50 between 4-6pm, and $5.50 from opening until 4pm.
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

It depends how far I'm willing to drive and the time of day. Matinee and student rates are $6.50 in Louisville and $7 in Broomfield/Westminster, where most people in Boulder County go to see movies.

On the other hand, if I feel like a drive up to the Fort Collins area, I can watch a movie for as cheap as $2 any day of the week, any time. Or $4.50 at the nearest theater in that direction, any time of day (matinee/student rate).

All of the major theaters in the area also have stadium seating, and overpriced concessions, which is why I always smuggle a drink or snack in. :P
rush
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by rush »

HEh... I am so happy that there is a drive in theatre in my town and a couple more within a relatively short drive... If you can handle staying up late, you get to see two movies for around $5.00 US...and you can bring your own snacks too. One of the theatres is near a really nice state park so I go spend the day there and see a couple movies that night...makes for a great day off.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

$13 at peek
$11 discounted on tuesdays and matinee.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

$7 adult $5 children.
For a family of four we spend $24 in tickets and around $20 in popcorn/candy/cola each visit.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

For special theatres that have "love seats", couches, lazy-boy recliners and bars...
Nice. We're not that free in this country. At least not in Pennsylvania.

I have no idea what movie prices are. I'm guessing about $8 here.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Dollar theater is where it's at.

$8.75 is generally what I pay for non-matinee and $5 for matinee.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Fort Lauderdale, FL area:

$7.50 general admission
$4.50 Matinee
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

The AMC theater by me that uses the IMAX screens charges 10 per ticket. I don't like the movie theaters at all but sometimes it's a fun place to go when the movie looks good big.
aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aldel »

The nice new theater on the Boston Common charges $10.25 on Friday and Saturday evenings. Most theaters around here charge at least $9, or around $6 for matinees. Bargain second-run theaters are also about $6.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

$9.50 on Long Island. $8.50 in Manhattan.

That's not gonna last, though. Last time the theater out here on the island tried raising prices that drastically, they were back down within three weeks. Maybe it was just to capitalize on Harry Potter?

I haven't been to the movies in a long time. I think I go twice a year.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

7.00-7.50 for comfortable arena style seating. A lady can wear the tallest Easter bonnet in front of me and I will still be able to see the whole screen. :)
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

9.50-10.75, I think...
There's a retaurant/theater in LA that charges around $14, I believe...
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

They're close to €7 I believe.
I pay €6 with my student discount card.
Or, once a month, I can get two tickets for €5 total with my cellphone operator membership card :)

It's become quite expensive though. A year ago, they installed terminals with printers so you could get your ticket yourself instead of doing the queue at the counter. So you'd think they could cut down on personnel, making it cheaper. Nope, they sur-charge €0.20 for "e-handling". What a rip-off!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I pay $5 each for matinee, and maybe another $8 for drinks/popcorn at the local Malco. Stadium seating is where its at. :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

There's on regular-style, second-run theater nearby that charges $2 for matinees and $4 for regular tickets. Even with the high concessions price, it's still a huge bargain. Hmmm...I wonder if Return of the King is still showing there? :D
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I first encountered "love seats" in Greenwich, Connecticut - thought what a great idea it was. Simply, the arm rests fold up between the seats like on an aeroplane - so you can snuggle.

Quite a few older theatres here have a balcony above the main level of seats. Usually the balcony is small, and in days-gone-by the balcony would just have regular seating installed there. These days, many balconies have been refurbished, and have big roll-armed couches, and/or lazy boys up there, for which they charge a premium.

Only a few theatres have bars, and not in the actual theatre itself, but in the foyer: You can get a big beer, or a spirit and splash, and some nachos - that sort of thing. Pay through the nose for that though.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

aldel wrote:The nice new theater on the Boston Common charges $10.25 on Friday and Saturday evenings. Most theaters around here charge at least $9, or around $6 for matinees. Bargain second-run theaters are also about $6.
You should wait a bit and go to the Arlington Capitol, movies are cheaper, and its a pretty damn nice theatre.

You *do* have to go to arlington though... heh
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

$9.50 for normal show, $6.50 for the matinee.

$3.50 for a 32oz soda.
$2-3 for most stuff you'd pick up for $.50 anywhere else.

There's also the $4 bottles of Pepsi being sold out of machines on the way into the theater...

I wish tickets were $8.50...
aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aldel »

Vertigo 99 wrote: You should wait a bit and go to the Arlington Capitol, movies are cheaper, and its a pretty damn nice theatre.

You *do* have to go to arlington though... heh
I often wait and go to the Somerville Theater in Davis Square, which is the same price as the Capitol ($6) and is walking distance from my home. Plus it's got these cool owl sculptures on the walls.
Wang_Lo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Wang_Lo »

here in carbondale IL, tickets are around 6.50
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

I go to the movies for free.

.. Legally. :P

Anyway; order online tickets for Loews Theatres here in Dallas, Texas, and they're 7.25 + .50 (online ordering fee) for a normal ticket. Seniors and children are marginally less, I believe.
Kumba
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kumba »

Jacksonville, FL $8 at the AMC, but there is a single screen theater a mile up the road from me that is only $7. They have tables and stuff in there, it's really nice, and never crowded, and they play old movies at midnight. They've been playing The Terminal this week, not sure how long they take to change movies.