Good Wine and Liquor

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Good Wine and Liquor

Post by Topher »

I'm a little new to the booze biz so I'm looking for advice on wine and liquor. I really don't like beer (I've not been able to find a beer that I really enjoy yet), but I do like having something with a little bit of class/taste/punch whatever you want to call it.

My stock consists of a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel which I've heard good things about (I haven't tried it yet though). So I'm looking to improve this collection of goods a bit.

Any advice on good wines, whiskies, rums, vodkas and/or scotches? (or some other class I forgot) Preferable stuff that would make someone go "Wow! Now that's good stuff!" (even better if they're only looking at the bottle :) ).
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Gray Goose Vodka is so smooth its prity much the onley thang i drink
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Absolute Vodka
Mexican Tequila (with worm) Eat the worm alone and you get drunk.
Bailey's Irish Cream

As for wine, couldn't tell ya, I can't stand wine.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Did you just turn 21 or something? (I quit drinking for 2 years when I turned 21 ;))

My favorites are Cpt. Morgan and Coke, Southern Comfort, either straight up or in Coke, Absolut, Skyy, or Grey Goose Vodka in OJ or Coke.

Leave your memory at the door :D
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

absolute cranberrys
jack straight up
i'm into light beer that tastes like water lately
best friends girlfriend who smokes 3 joints with you
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Rum! Oh, and as for wine, well there are a lot of good wines; it's just that theyre expensive. how much you looking to spend? heh
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

if you are going to have bourbon please make sure it's Wild Turkey. Either the regular stuff or the 108 proof Rare Breed. All good stuff though, knock you on your behind quick.
SolidAir
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by SolidAir »

For Vodka, any of the following brands are excellent choices: Absolut, Grey Goose, SKYY, Stolichnya, Finlandia, Three Olives. I've tried all of these kinds and they are all good. Three Olives Cherry is very drinkable so be careful :wink: If you mix it with Diet Sprite it tastes just like Hawaiian punch.

For gin, Tanqueray is the only one I've tried so it's the only one I can recommend. But it goes great with tonic and lime.

For rum, I've only had a little of Captain Morgan and Bacardi 151. Both mixed with coke, and it's okay. I don't really like rum. However, I do like Parrot Bay coconut rum. It is very good, specially if you mix it with pineapple juice (1 part of each).
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Cough! Cough! Ahem!!!! Cracks fingers with outstretched arms (...despite arthritic protestations) I'm going to make a list of alchohol that is of good quality and affordable. To be honest a lot of the names that are bandied about are pure hype. A good quality cabinet is based on taste not name. In my opinion.

If your really going to drink Tequila you can't go wrong with Cuervo. It's very smooth and light, not for slamming, which would be a waste. A little salt and lemon is fine though i prefer it straight in a small glass.

Whisky is very subjective, with a veritable plethora of tastes to suit everyones palette, and plethora of prices to suit everyones pocket. My personal favourites are Chivvas Regal and Bushmills. The former because i love the woody colour to the taste and the latter for it's really malty flavour. I like to taste my whisky on the tongue and in the belly. Not at the back of the throat.

You can't say you have ever drank Vodka till you drink with a group of russians. Israel has had a massive influx of russians over recent years and i at one point was on the committee within the kibbutz to settle in new immigrants. The vodka they drink is devine compared with the stuff we have on the shelves. "Absolute" is chemical crap, a truly terrible vodka. The best for an affordable drinks cabinet would be Smirnoff blue...but compared with the russian stuff i drank. it pales.

I can't comment on Rum because i can't smell it, it makes me vomit.

Southern Comfort...only with ice.

Stout?? Guinness.... need i say more. Although it's a sin to drink it from the bottle or a can of course. Straight from the Keg. (preferably whilst in an Irish local)

Lager..nope

Gin....Gordons. 'nuff said

Beer? Beer is again subjective. I herald from a part of England where every pub had it's own brew of bitter. Rich, chewy hops to wet the throat. Boddingtons best bitter would be my choice for the house, although there are thousands out there.

I'm gonna miss out wine 'cause England are playing Portugal soon so i'm off to stock up. Hic!!!

FC
SolidAir
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by SolidAir »

About beer... it seems to me that when served on tap, it tastes a lot better than it does in bottled form. When I had some Stella Artois (imported from Belgium) in New York on tap, it was very smooth, but whenever I have the bottle it doesn't taste the same. It's more bitter.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

SolidAir wrote:About beer... it seems to me that when served on tap, it tastes a lot better than it does in bottled form. When I had some Stella Artois (imported from Belgium) in New York on tap, it was very smooth, but whenever I have the bottle it doesn't taste the same. It's more bitter.
That is so very true! I like to drink a Leffe from time to time, but I always ask if it's from the tap, otherwise I don't want it. I'm not sure about the availability of belgian beers abroad, but if you come across Leffe or Grimbergen (especially the blond varieties), try it! Even if it's in a bottle, it's still good :)

As a student, I'm a beer drinker, but I only drink one kind of pils: Jupiler. (Stella Artois is also a pils beer, for the record). There are many sorts of beer here, and each sort has many brands and varities.

However, I like good port wine and gin-tonic. I'm not that much of a vodka or tequila drinker, I gave up on the strong stuff a while ago. It's also a lot more expensive to buy at bars.

I don't have sophisticated tastes so that's pretty much it.
SolidAir
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by SolidAir »

Thanks for the reinforcement there. I will have to try Leffe or Grimbergen if I see it. I should be making a trip up to Montreal in September and I am sure I can find it there (I doubt anywhere here in Florida has it). But I do love Stella. The first time I had it was on tap and I couldn't believe how smooth it was.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Wow, some great advice thus far (especially from Flabby Chick). But no one has mentioned Scotches yet. I've never had Scotch before; one of my friends said to stay far far away from it because a good bottle of scotch is an order of magnatude more expensive than other drinks. But I'm still curious what's good, what's not, of what resource to look at.

One other question, from what I've read and "whiskey" and "bourban whiskey" are pretty much the same except how they are made...? I've had Jack Daniels and Virginia Gentlement (the latter being bourbon) and honestly they taste similiar (though I liked the latter better).
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Jack is a bourbon too.

I like a little warm snifter of Grand Marnier after dinner myself.

Sam Smith Oatmeal is a good beer, as is Flying Dog K-9 Cruise.

Good wines... Bonny Doon makes some great wines at a reasonable price. Ridge makes some of the best Red Zinfandels around.

And of course the good ol' Jager Bomb. Jagermeister and Red Bull shot, very tasty.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Even though you said you dont like beer, I still strongly suggest a Corona light with a lime in it. Also, (I dont really like alot of beers either), but I find to actually like the light ones better.

La Cerveza Mas Fina
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

"Cervesa Sol" is my fav beer. I'm also a fan of white beers - blue moon, golden monkey.

And maybe it's just me, but i had a stella on an airplane on the way to france, and it was the worse beer i've ever had. that was a while ago though, i'll have to try it again; this time, on tap.
Mousepad
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mousepad »

Patron tequila is my personal favorite. The "Wow! Now that's good stuff!" factor is amazing. It's a little hard on the wallet but well worth it. Soooo smooth. If you're putting it in mixed drinks, though, go for something less expensive. For margaritas Cuervo Gold is as good as it gets.

MP
VaussBait
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VaussBait »

Topher wrote:Wow, some great advice thus far (especially from Flabby Chick). But no one has mentioned Scotches yet.
Chivas is Scotch. To me, Scotch in generally is an aquired taste. Try some but don't stop after one or two that you might not like. Different regions have characteristics to the peat which impart vastly different tastes to the malt. In Scotch, I prefer one of the Islay Malts.
Topher wrote:One other question, from what I've read and "whiskey" and "bourban whiskey" are pretty much the same except how they are made...?
If I'm not mistaken, technically Bourbon whiskey comes from Bourbon County in Kentucky. I don't know if it's an FDA labelling thing if they have to make it there to be able to call it a Bourbon but that's the origin of the title. I'm partial to Bourbon's myself (Wild Turkey 101 for non-special occasions). For really enjoying it, I'll grab a nice Elijah Craig 18-year-old "single barrel".

Although you may find Jack Daniel's in the "Bourbon" section, JD is a Tennessee whiskey, not a formal Bourbon.

Man, who's coming with me to the pub? I'm buyin' the first round!

-Vauss OUT
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

w00t!

Post by Verran »

I'm a huge fan of Woodchuck Draft Cider. Amber is my favorite.
Wang_Lo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Wang_Lo »

try the blue label johnny walker, incredible price and taste.....
rush
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by rush »

Although it's not necessarily as affordable as *hack* *cough* *gag* Cuervo....go for Patron Anejo.... best Tequila on the face of the earth for around 55 bucks a fifth...

for Whiskey...a good sweet smooth one is Maker's Mark. And if you want to have an Irish Car Bomb (ask any NW Lan person) Jameison's Irish Whiskey is a good one.

For Gin...Bombay Sapphire is good. Tangeray is good mixed but not straight and BeefEater is excellent on the rocks.

Vodka...Grey Goose and Skyy are good.

If you like black licorice....go for some Ouzo.

Keep some Goldschlager in your cabinet too.

Bailey's or CarolAnne's or O'Maras....all decent Irish Creme

And since no-one seems to have touched the wine department yet. Chateau St. Michelle winery...Chardonnay, Reisling, Gerwurtzraminer.they are usually good. Berringer Winery White Merlot... for a good red wine.. Columbia Winery, David Lake Signature series, 1999 vintage, Cabernet Sauvignon...excellent.

Hope that helps.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I'm a rum, JD, and vodka man myself, when I do drink.
Can't go wrong with a Rum and Coke or an Absolut Cranberry. I'd have to say Parrot Bay is my favorite though. Scotch is an old-timer, bloated alcoholics drink...the drink of a man's man ;) I haven't really acquired the taste for it yet. Call me when I'm 50 or so :)
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I've heard a lot about this "Patron" tequila over the years from this place, i've never tasted it myself though. Its a situation i will have to change.
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

As to the "Bourbon" vs. "Whiskey" question...

Bourbon is defined, as I understand it, as sourmash whiskey. It used to be that alot of whiskeys were labeled as bourbon, but some time ago, they were forced (at least in the US) to remove the word. Early Times comes to mind as an example.

Jack Daniels is a true bourbon by definition.

In the US, MOST whiskeys are blends of various things. If you order just "whiskey" in a bar, you get a blend, and they're all different.

Specific whiskeys are ALL tagged with another name (Scotch, Rye, Irish, Bourbon...).
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Gin > Bombay Sapphire

Vodka > Ketel One

Scotch Whiskie > Laphroaig

Tequila > Cuervo Gold

Liqour for doing shots > Tuaca (ok, not quality, but a personal favorite)
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

OK bro,

first let me give you some drinking credentials. I have never wrecked my car, never got a DWI, never got a MIP, a PI, or been to jail for any reason. Never been kicked out of a bar.

That said, I hope you trust my advice a little better with the knowledge that if you follow it you will not automatically end up dead or in jail.

Before you buy anything, heed this: at the start of the night, pick your drink and stick to it. If you're going to drink beer and want to have 1 shot first, that is ok. but do not mix a bunch of beer and different liquors and expect it to turn out ok. the simplest policy is stick to the same thing all night. then know your limit.

nuf on that, on to the booze.

- Beer is a matter of personal taste. take your pick.

- F*ck crappy american Bourbon or Kentucky Whiskey or whatever. For affordable good whiskey, I highly recommend an Irish Whiskey like Jameson or Bushmills. Try it chilled for smooth consumption.

- Absolut is a good vodka. Skyy is not bad. Austin has a vodka called Tito's that is made in town and is quite respectable.

- There are a couple of good wines that are affordable and available at most grocery stores. If you want a good white fitting that description, Kendall Jackson makes a really decent, affordable Sauvignon Blanc. For red, Clos Du Bois has a tasty Merlot.

- Now, by far, my favorite cocktail is a Gin and Tonic. I highly recommend it. It should be taken with lime. Tanqueray is my general preference but Bombay is as good. Just don't forget the lime. It's the perfect summer drink year round!

Last, stay away from liquors, and girly shots/drinks in general. I highly recommend you turn down all Jaegermeister, buttery nipples, Goldschlager, etc. if you drink them you may become gay or even puke.

Don't forget to know your limits. By sticking to the same kind of drink, it is easier to judge how intoxicated you are becoming.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Palzon wrote:Last, stay away from liquors, and girly shots/drinks in general. I highly recommend you turn down all Jaegermeister, buttery nipples, Goldschlager, etc. if you drink them you may become gay or even puke.
ahahahhahaha!!!! :P

i must disagree with your assessment that jack is not good pally. i know everyone has their reasons, and mine are so rock n' roll.

jameson is awesome... i will be having some in about 1.5 hours.

NICE TO SEE YOU MOUSEPAD, THE REAL MP!!!!
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

TheCops wrote:
jameson is awesome... i will be having some in about 1.5 hours.[/b]
2:55 and counting here :P

Sorry i don't dig on Gentleman Jack ;)
SolidAir
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by SolidAir »

Tangeray is good mixed but not straight
I once had some Tanqueray out of the bottle. Sunk down to the bottom of my stomach (I could feel it) and felt like I needed to puke. Sucking on some ice remedied that immediately. Don't do it!

Jagermeister is only good in moderation. If I am given the opportunity to have a shot, I will only do it once. Any more and you will be out for the night.

I tried liquid cocaine once, which is a third of an ounce of Jagermeister, Goldschlager and 151. That was the last thing I had last Halloween in Montreal... you don't need anything more after that.

I wouldn't diss Jagermeister... you should try it at least once. It has a very distinct taste to it.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

One word on Absolut: it's complete and utter crap! More pepper than vodka. Smirnoff's okay, but I know there's better out there.

You want strong in the vodka arena, try the Grey Goose orange stuff. That'll knock you back a step or two. :lol:

Beers: Haven't tried tons, and I tend to prefer them dark. Guinness is great on tap, but the bottle is crap. I have a can sitting in the fridge waiting for me, because I have it on good Irish authority that it's better (though I'm not expecting an "on tap" flavor). Warsteiner's dunkel is pretty good, and I'd recommend it. Best bottle beer I've found yet. 8) (That doesn't say much, though, I haven't raided much of the local liquor store. ;))
Mousepad
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mousepad »

If you're into trying out different beers you should go check out a world market. They have a deal where you can make your own six pack with any combo of the beers they have for about $6-$7. They have lot's of choices from all over the place.

As an added bonus they have plenty of other stuff to keep a lady-friend distracted while you fill your basket with beer :lol:

What's up mr cops!

MP
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

As for my general drinking rules:

1) Beer before liquor, Never been sicker.
Liquor before beer, you're in the clear.

2) Drink lots of water, helps prevent hangovers.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Word has it that Moe Fugger is tha shiz! ;) (Those of you in Florida that listen to WWJR will get this...)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Beer:

American Ale: I've been all over the country searching for the perfect glass of American Ale. Something that's not too heavy or malty, has a nice bitterness, pronounced hop flavor and a bit of roasted barley in the finish. I've never come closer to the perfect ale than I have with Goose Island Honker's Ale. Unfortunately, the Goose is only available regionally (all of the midwest, some of the south, as far west as Kansas City). If you like these types of beers and it's available, grab for a Honkers Ale. A reasonable substitute would be Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Stout: Guinness draft. If you're lucky enough to find a pub that has the domestic Irish product flown in, as is the case at a few pubs here in Chicago, you're in for a serious treat. If not, just make sure the pub you frequent keeps their equipment clean and their beer fresh. The export product that is readily available here is a reasonable substitute, but not "heaven in a glass" like the domestic.

Vodka: Unless you can get your hands on the obscure stuff like Zubrovka (Polish potato vodka), I'd recommend Stoli. Honorable mention, Ketel One, Smirnoff Formula 21.

Tequila: Patron Anejo is by far the best tequila I've ever had. It's got incredible smoothness, and a very unique spicyness. Drink it room temperature, no training wheels necessary (salt and lime).
Another great tequila is El Jimador Anejo. But at about $100 a bottle, I'll stick with the Patron.
Honorable mention: Cabo Wabo Reposado (Blue bottle), Corralejo Reposado, Don Julio Anejo.

Scotch: Glenfiddich or Glenlivet is what I like. Real scotch connoisseurs drink it in a rocks glass with lots of ice and a splash of water. I like it that way, as well.

Wine: Man, there's so many. I'm a huge fan of Australian Shiraz, Zinfandel and Chianti for the reds, Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay for the whites. I'd recommend going to a reputable wine dealer and asking him what he's got available. Good wine doesn't need to be expensive. There's lots of $10-15 bottles out there that are awesome.

With that being said. I think you're going to get many different opinions here, because taste is a matter of....well....taste! Experiment around and see what YOU like. :)
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

Beer: If you can find it - Caffrey's. I haven't been able to find it here in the states, but it's one of the smoothest ales I've had. Newcastle comes close. Avoid American beers - unless, of course you're at a party and there's a keg. Even shi**y beer is tolerable when it's free.

Bourbon: Wild Turkey

Scotch: You can't go wrong with any single malt scotch. Don't bother with the ice or water. That's like putting ketchup on a steak!

Wine: It doesn't get much better than a good Chardonnay. Chateau Souverain, if you can find it. Otherwise, Kendall Jackson will do.