HD Question: Size > 150 GB

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

HD Question: Size > 150 GB

Post by Avder »

Ive heard that some versions of windows have trouble with rive bigger than 150 GB. I'm planning on purchasing a 250 Gig hard drive within the next month and the computer I will install it to is running win2k sp5, all updates installed. Will this install have difficulties with the drive? If so, is there a fix and how can I obtain it?

Thanks in advance guys.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

IIRC, Windows 2000 SP3 and Windows XP SP1 support drives larger than 132GB, previous versions had a 132GB limit. Dunno what the current limit (if any) is, but the 250GB should work fine.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

I believe the normal drive limit these days is around 4TB. 8) (Though actually, it may be a bit higher, still. I seem to remember seeing some partitions on the servers at work that were, I believe, 10TB or so.)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Okiedokie. Thats all I wanted to know. Thanks!
SSC BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SSC BlueFlames »

I was looking up articles on NTFS a while back, and I seem to recall that maximum drive space is a function of the file allocation table, not the OS. FAT32 tops out at something like 128GB, while NTFS goes all the way up to 10+TB. You can do a quick search on Microsoft's website for NTFS if you want to double-check those.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

if the O/S supports the drive ... that is fine and dandy.... You might want check with the specs of the onboard controller or add in card if greater than 127-137GB is supported (older hardware)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

BUBBALOU wrote:if the O/S supports the drive ... that is fine and dandy.... You might want check with the specs of the onboard controller or add in card if greater than 127-137GB is supported (older hardware)
Yeah, I ran into that a while back before I upgraded my system with a new mobo + cpu. Honestly, as long as the system isn't 3+ years old, theres a fair chance that if it doesn't support it outright that there is a BIOS update to allow it. (I know for a fact that the Asus A7V (classic) will support it with the 1011 BIOS.)