Enterprise Returning to Trek Roots?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Enterprise Returning to Trek Roots?

Post by Top Gun »

I just found this article from a thread at Hard Light. It looks like Manny Coto, an executive producer of Star Trek: Enterprise, wants to take the show in a new direction more in line with its setting as a prequel to TOS. This could be just what this series needs to win back some of the fans who were turned off by its earlier seasons. I, for one, can't wait for season 4 to start :D.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

The last season was much better than the others as there was less emphasis on sex and more on trekking. I hope they stick to this formula.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

The less of the B&B influence the better. Glad to see someone who actually cares working on the series. I cant wait to see the episode where William Shatner will make an appearance! :D

And nice to finally see some action with the Romulans. This season may actually be entertaining for once, something it has been laking almost since conception.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Awesome. And for the record Rick Berman rocks and Brannon Bragga sucks. =)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Hey, Paramount actually does listen for once...
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

And just how do you work a old Shatner in when his character isnt even born yet?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Who said he was going to show up as Captain Kirk?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Mr. Perfect wrote:And just how do you work a old Shatner in when his character isnt even born yet?
Time travel. Duh.

And I am very much looking forward to seeing more action with the romulans. I will be watching very closely tho, as there are some very importantthings that they need to stick to in order to keep continuity with TOS.

Also, in some of the Star Trek Books, its written that the war with the Romulans is the catalyst that ultimately creates the federation. The Romulan War wasnt supposed to have ended until one or two years before the founding the The Federation, so I doubt you'll see too much all out battle with the romulans. Just a few skirmishes here and there. It will probably be a lot like the build up to the Dominon war in Deep Space 9. That build up started in season 3, and the war didnt really begin until season 6.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Kirk's father. =)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Vader wrote:It will probably be a lot like the build up to the Dominon war in Deep Space 9. That build up started in season 3, and the war didnt really begin until season 6.
Actually the Dominion was first mentioned in "Rules of Acquisition" which was an episode early in Season 2. The war officially started in "Call to Arms," the season finale of Season 5.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The Dominion was mentioned in that episode, sure, but the build up to the war didnt begin until the end of episode 226 "The Jem'Hadar" and 301-302 "The Search".
Cougar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cougar »

[spoiler]I heard Brent Spiner was going to make an appearance in a three episode arc involving Arik Soong (Data's creators' grandfather), a villan who believes strongly in eugenics.[/spoiler]
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Vader wrote:The Dominion was mentioned in that episode, sure, but the build up to the war didnt begin until the end of episode 226 "The Jem'Hadar" and 301-302 "The Search".
Depends on your definition of build-up. The real dominion-related suspense started in "Jem'Hadar" but the mystery began building in "Rules of Acquisition" and was continued in "Sanctuary". I'd call that part of the build-up, but I guess we're just arguing semantics.

Anywho, that'd be awesome if the whole Romulan/Vulcan thing had a long story arc like the Dominion War did. I think I'll start watching Enterprise this season and see how to goes.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

[spoiler]Heard the same thing Coug, and I'm not even a trekkie. I think I heard it on the local classic rock channel (wtf).[/spoiler]
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Vader wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:And just how do you work a old Shatner in when his character isnt even born yet?
Time travel. Duh.
Almost. There would be one problem with it; Kirk died before reaching old age.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

This wouldn't be the first time they've brought him back from the dead.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Jeff250 wrote:This wouldn't be the first time they've brought him back from the dead.
Yeah. He wrote his own novels bringing his character back.....

btw, you Enterprise folk may be interested in this
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Actually I read those too, but I was mostly referring to Generations.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think the general consensus was that Shatner will play another character, not Kirk. Who knows, he could be Kirk's grandfather? Or how about the elusive chef? :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Kirk never died in Generations. Nor did he Time Travel.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

****Hijack attempt****

Anyone heard if another movie is in the works? I think it would be a mistake. If would make more sense if they did a movie with characters from the various shows that "just" happen to be in the same place at the same time. ...yeah.. it sounds kinda lame, but so would another movie.

If they did do another movie, I'd like to see spock in it. He is still around lurkin around Romulus as I recall.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

DCrazy wrote:Kirk never died in Generations. Nor did he Time Travel.
He died twice and time traveled once. =)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

The Nexus isn't time travel, it exists outside of reality. He wasn't resurrected either, Soran was stopped avoiding his death.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

if you simply ignore the novels,like you are supposed to, then he's dead.

Picard made a karn(sp?) for him.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

DCrazy wrote:The Nexus isn't time travel, it exists outside of reality. He wasn't resurrected either, Soran was stopped avoiding his death.
Depends on your definition of "time travel." Mine includes "traveling from one point in time to another" which is what happened here.

Kirk died stopping Soran... and ok the first time he died, I guess you could say he didn't really die.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Yeah, I made the mistake of saying never. I know that he did indeed die.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Duper wrote:****Hijack attempt****

Anyone heard if another movie is in the works? I think it would be a mistake. If would make more sense if they did a movie with characters from the various shows that "just" happen to be in the same place at the same time. ...yeah.. it sounds kinda lame, but so would another movie.

If they did do another movie, I'd like to see spock in it. He is still around lurkin around Romulus as I recall.
I heard its going to be a prequill. But Prequill what? Enterprise? And cut off TNG so soon? They got at least 2 more moves to go before they match up with TOS generation, and they still are lagging in 2 more good movies!

I swear, this franchise would be better off with someone who could better handle it.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Yeah, really. They should bring in Ian Steven Behr (sp?), Robert Wolfe (the guy that wrote the first two seasons of Andromeda, and a shitload of DS9 episodes), JMS (writer and creator of Babylon5), and Greg Weisman to work on those two movies. At the very least JMS.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Top Wop wrote:I heard its going to be a prequill. But Prequill what? Enterprise? And cut off TNG so soon? They got at least 2 more moves to go before they match up with TOS generation, and they still are lagging in 2 more good movies!

I swear, this franchise would be better off with someone who could better handle it.
I read somewhere that the prequel will somehow involve Kirk as an Ensign.

So what would that mean for what kind of starship wed be on? A newly minted Constitution Class? Or maybe an Old-as-dirt Daedalus class that can only hit Warp 7?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

MD-2389 wrote:They should bring in Ian Steven Behr (sp?)
Ira Steven Behr. He rocks!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

If its a young Kirk then we gonna have an old Enterprise thats re-invented and thus screwing up the timeline the way the Akira-in-disguise did in Enterprise. Yaaaay! :roll:

How about some fresh ideas? Or working with what you already got (Generations)?

Man, I hope Paramount turns that idea down. Or do SOMETHING.