Why banned?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Why banned?

Post by Ned »

I just tried to join the following game:
TCP Houston Express Subway Dancer V1.1 1 Anarchy 1 6 24.167.62.114:2093 [?]

but it wouldn't let me saying BANNED! My name was "test"

What's up with that?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

were you an ass?
spawn kill?
type kill?
cheating?
swearing in chat?
told to leave and didn't?
played audio taunts excessively?

email the server op and find out.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

no

Post by Ned »

How could I do any of that (which I wouldn't) if I couldnt get on, and haven't been on for days?

NO to all of the above, whenever I am on. . .
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
email the server op and find out.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

HOw?

Post by Ned »

How do you find that email address?
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

could probably a name bann on the word "test", try to post here:

http://www.descentforum.net/ServerOps/

a lot of serverops are reading there.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

posted

Post by Ned »

ok, Posted there.

Darn and I like SD. IF anyone gets in, please tell them to unban me. Do they see name, IP, or both?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Ned...See you in Roadkills subway if you want.
I know you enough to know it has to be a mistake.
Bettina
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Thanks Bettina!

I was reinstalling my system. I also tried to log on with an unpatched Descent, but who knows what the red flag was. . .

I did accidently kill someone who was typing a few days ago, but I said sorry, so I dunno

Probably a mistake
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

lol

What a joke. :P
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

There are quite a few pilot names that will be autobanned. change your name and try to rejoin
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

test, tester may be just auto-banned aliasses.

your IP will be banned automatically from then till the server restarts.

...I posted more in the ServerOps board (but the server isn't mine)...
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Ned....r u still banned?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I'm on a mission, I will infect every player and server out there with a Blank keyboard, that way no one can tell when someone is typing anymore. Or a bullseye instead...I think I like the blank one.

There is NO SUCH THING AS TYPEKILLING IN DESCENT

Where in the Definition of Anarchy are RULES or LAWS?

Entry: Anarchy
Function: noun
Definition: lawlessness
Synonyms: chaos, confusion, disorder, disorganization, disregard, hostility, mob rule, nihilism, nongovernment, rebellion, revolution, riot, turmoil
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Good job, youre probably gonna start a war.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I'm just stateing the facts, servers that ban for Typekilling are servers that no one will play on
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

BUBBALOU wrote:I'm on a mission, I will infect every player and server out there with a Blank keyboard, that way no one can tell when someone is typing anymore. Or a bullseye instead...I think I like the blank one.
I've had a blank pic for the Keyboard since...well...sometime in 2001, I think. Though, even without it, I can still tell when someone's typing, but I still blast them and honestly claim that "I didn't see" any icon. :lol:
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

on

Post by Ned »

I'm on again. YAY! I think it was just the word "test" set off a red flag. IF you're reading this: tx for letting me in.

Been playing Doom3 too. OMG it is so gross. Im only now starting to get used to it.. Talk about unhealthy games for kids. . . .sheeesh

However, awesome graphics!
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Type-killing is unsportsmanlike and lame. It is the act of a grasping rapacious kill-starved under-skilled under-achieving grasping pathetic newbie of a wanna-be descent pilot. :) Of course in CTF it's a different story, but in anarchy it's usually just an act of desperation to get back at or spite someone.

That being said, I personally don't think it should be grounds for banning. It is anarchy, after all. Other pilots in a game ought to just go out of their way to target the unrepentant type-killer--gang up on him!
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Type when you are dead. I used to not typekill cause I bought in to all that sportsmanship crap. Now, if you are alive I am going to give it my all to kill you. I no longer care if you just spawned, are typing, or hiding somewhere out of the way casue your phone just rang.

If you are alive and in the field of play, you are fair game. Period.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

I don't really care about typekilling. If I get typekilled, then I was an idiot for typing anyhow. But what I cannot stand is people apologizing for doing it (especially if the keyboard goes up AFTER they fire the missile that kills me).
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Type-killing is unsportsmanlike and lame. It is the act of a grasping rapacious kill-starved under-skilled under-achieving grasping pathetic newbie of a wanna-be descent pilot. :)
the coolest thing about the chicago lan was that we had to use blues and concs a lot. no one complained about anything.

i submit that you are the wuss thorne.

:P
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

TheCops wrote:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:Type-killing is unsportsmanlike and lame. It is the act of a grasping rapacious kill-starved under-skilled under-achieving grasping pathetic newbie of a wanna-be descent pilot. :)
the coolest thing about the chicago lan was that we had to use blues and concs a lot. no one complained about anything.

i submit that you are the wuss thorne.

:P
Sorry, TheCops, I don't do drugs (or diesel fumes), you're going to have to post again when you're feeling more coherent. ;)
Dedman wrote:...I used to not typekill cause I bought in to all that sportsmanship crap. Now, if you are alive I am going to give it my all to kill you. I no longer care if you just spawned, are typing, or hiding somewhere out of the way casue your phone just rang.

If you are alive and in the field of play, you are fair game. Period.
What made you buy out of "all that sportsmanship crap?" I already mentioned you:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:...grasping rapacious kill-starved under-skilled under-achieving grasping pathetic...
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Type-killing is unsportsmanlike and lame. It is the act of a grasping rapacious kill-starved under-skilled under-achieving grasping pathetic newbie of a wanna-be descent pilot. :)
Everyone forgets this:
Every ship carries a shield. My primary goal in Anarchy is to collect as many shields as possible. You think I'd pass up one just asking to be taken? I've probably stolen more shields than you've ever collected. :lol: :P
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

If someone is dumb enough to throw up a keyboard in the midst of an Anarchy game, I don't think, "Goody, a cheap kill and free shields". I'll leave him alone and wait for someone else to kill him. If he whines I'll tell him, "Type when your're dead". If I accidently kill a guy because I launched a missile around a corner, I'll apologize.

There's one exception to this rule. If I'm going toe to toe with a guy and he throws up a keyboard to try and save his butt it's, "So sorry Charlie, you're toast"

To get back on topic. Ned, I agree you were most likely the victim of a blanket ban.

And this opens up another question. WTH is going on lately? The other day one of my members got banned from a game of VV on an "open server". He'd been playing the game when it timed out. He had 48 kills and 7 deaths. The game restarted and he got disco'd. When he tried to rejoin he was banned. Now I know this kid. He's a long time member and so straight he squeeks. Seems his only transgression was having a good kill/death ratio.

And we've had other members kicked from games. Some of us, upon joining an open pick-up game have been told, not asked, to leave. What's up with this? I've always told my members that, if they want to set up a game and make it private, they'd better label it as such. It's always been my understanding that "open servers" are just that and no one can kick/ban ask/tell another to leave. Next time it happens to me I'll just go observer and hog space.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

smart missiles

Post by Ned »

I like throwing smart misssiles around the corner of the huge room in Subway, but I doubt people type in there much. I also have no clue who is there, I just like to fire and run in order to make life hard for the good players.

A good score/ratio is DEFINATELY not my problem. Im a professional die-r in D3multiplayer.

Hey forget about all this type kill stuff, what about players who are waaaaay to good for the game they are in? I won't mention names, but one person seems to be shooting ALL OF US like fish in a barrel when he is there. Im not complaining though, it's only a game and it makes me want to get sneakier and better.

I need to optimize my D3 settings again. . . part of why I am flying like a drunk rat this week.

:)
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

ThunderBunny wrote:lol

What a joke. :P
heh
heh I have all the skillz in the world, but I "type kill" and "spawn kill" whenever I get the chance. The only time I don't do that is when I'm trying to listen to what my opponent is trying to say before we start fighting.

And I don't think the lack of a few "spawn kills" or "type kills" would hurt my 90% efficiency. ^_~

Skyalmian, you suck. :P
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Nothing can hurt your 90% efficiency, but only because it resides in your imagination. ;)

"Sorry, kid. You've got the gift, but it looks like you're waiting for something... ...another ship, maybe, who knows."
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:What made you buy out of "all that sportsmanship crap?" I already mentioned you:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:...grasping rapacious kill-starved under-skilled under-achieving grasping pathetic...
That's a bold statement.
Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arbitar »

typkilling is nothing to whine about. play TS, a halflife mod. If you type, youre dead. There is no indicator, and there is no mercy. typekilling is mnot to whine about, its just a part of anarchy, which is, may I remind you, "Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose".

So you get typekilled. Don't waste your message by deleting it to say "TYPEKILL" then spawning and start typing again. Try typing while youre dead, or find a really really good hiding spon and hope people dont find you. Because if they do, you should be dead.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Dedman wrote:That's a bold statement.
It is. So is dismissing good sportsmanship as crap.

Arbitar, to clerify, I don't personally complain about getting type-killed, I either type when I'm dead, or take the risk, but I like to try and call things the way they are. I don't see any redeeming value in shooting someone down when they're not fighting. If a battle forms around them when they're typing, and they get taken out.. that just happens--the same with blind around-the-corner shots, etc, but to go out of your way to shoot down a typer is just lame. Convince me if it's otherwise, but I believe that's it.

Someone tried to type-kill me in Veins once: they got 2 MD rounds into me before I took the keyboard down and wasted them--they never got another shot in. Victory! :)
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
Dedman wrote:That's a bold statement.
...So is dismissing good sportsmanship as crap.
I am doing no such thing. I think sportsmanship is very important. I just don't think type and spawn killing have anything to do with sportsmanship. To me, sportsmanship (in the context of this game) is not hacking, not whining when you get beat, and not gloating when you win.

The game is called Anarchy for a reason. If you are in the field of play and you start typing, expect to get beat. If you just spawned you have blues, concs, AND are invulnerable. You actually have a good advantage. You need to learn to use it.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

I'm totally with Thorne... when I start going after Typers i can also play single player or only hunt noobs. Where's the challenge and the fun in that? (but no mercy on people typing in the midst of a battle, that's just stupid).

Spawnkilling ... my, that depends on the type of game we are playing. If the other does not care about spawnkilling, i won't either. If he does, i will refrain from spawnkilling, easy as that.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Nothing can hurt your 90% efficiency, but only because it resides in your imagination. ;)

"Sorry, kid. You've got the gift, but it looks like you're waiting for something... ...another ship, maybe, who knows."
hehe ^_^

I'll record a demo if you want. ^_~

Actually, I'm waiting for the opportunity to install Wine (and D3) on my OpenBSD partition and to order ADSL. ^_~
phlegm
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by phlegm »

Kewl, typekilling is sportsman like, thats awesome...... what so is spawnkilling YES...... I guess going into the wall in subway is too then, COOL.
RSDx
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by RSDx »

Me thinkst some of y'all're takin' this shtuff a lil too seriously.....I agree with posters who've recommended "type when you're dead" ....anarchy is anarchy, plain and simple. Sure, I've been typekilled a bunch of times...oh well, no big deal, serves me right. I DO find, however, that the majority of players will tap me with a few courtesy flare hits to get my attention, which is cool :)
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

phlegm wrote:Kewl, typekilling is sportsman like, thats awesome...... what so is spawnkilling YES...... I guess going into the wall in subway is too then, COOL.
I hope you're not being sarcastic. =P Because you're absolutely right. ^_~
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Typekilling/spawnkilling are sportsmanlike.

There's a reason the game has observer mode. You can also type before you respawn after getting killed. Use those times to type. Typing, and whining about typekilling is unsportsmanlike. You typed during the game, your ship was taking up space in the mines and ruining my game experience.

As for spawnkilling, you get 3 seconds of invulnerability. USE THEM. I swear, 50% of my kills @ the D3 Chicago LAN were with blue lasers & concs. Stop whining and start flying newbies.

Going into the walls in subway is sportsmanlike as well. If it wasn't intended there would be a bugfix release from the designer. Apparently it's a 'feature'.

Once again, stop whining and start flying!
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

From what I gather, typers lost sympathy when some of them began thinking of the keyboard as a shield, and would put it up in the middle of a dogfight (pure idiocy), or sit out in the open with it up, then as soon as someone flew by, take it down and start shooting.

I won't intentionally shoot anyone with a keyboard (or bullseye, as I see it :P), but if I fire a missile that locks onto you while you're typing, it's your fault for typing while still alive :P.

Spawnkilling: I'm with WarAdvocat, though the invul doesn't feel like 3 seconds before it dies :P (since it's already flashing off when you spawn). But blue lasers and concs can do decent damage in their own right, so you aren't defenseless when you spawn like some people seem to think.

And sometimes it's impossible to tell if someone has just spawned, especially in big games, in my experience.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Show no mercy.