patching

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

forrest
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

patching

Post by forrest »

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THIS MEANS. I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE PATCH WHEN I TRY TO LOAD IT I RECEAVE THIS MESSAGE ,< THE PATH DOES NOT EXIST >. HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM ? THANK YOU GOING THROUGH WITHDRAUGHS
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Try using the Australian version of the patch. And stop shouting :P.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

1. Typing in all caps is the equivilent of SHOUTING in someone's ear and is frowned upon by just about everyone for obvious reasons. Trust me, we can read your post just fine WITHOUT IT LOOKING LIKE THIS.

2. Use the search feature before making a post. You'll find that this has been discussed on many occasions.

That being said, there were two versions of the game released in the US. The US version, and the Aussie version. Like Top Gun said, try the Aussie patch if you haven't already. If you bought the jewel case version of the game, you have to run the jewel patch before running either of the 1.4 patches. You can get the jewel patch here

If you have the Mercenary add-on, install that before installing the 1.4 patch. Merc is v1.3.
forrest
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by forrest »

Thank you for your help. I think the problem might self inflicted I accedently hit open with internet explorer, and that changed the icon. I dont know how to fix that.Sorry about yelling.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Btw, if you want to get into multiplayer, you'll want to hit up d3.descent.cx. :) If you have any questions regarding multiplayer, click me and ask there.
forrest
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by forrest »

I uninstalled d3 then reinstalled redownloaded the USA & AUSSIE patches still the same problem. <The path does not exist> Still the mulitiplayer games show internet explorer to execute.Please advise computer illiterate trully illiterate. Also may have a small problem spelling. Thank you all.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You have to specify the directory Descent3 is installed to. Usually its "C:\games\descent3" by default.
World War Woodi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by World War Woodi »

You need the duel jewel patch fix, you've got the bundled version of D3 that came with mercenary expansion. Before you patch with 1.4, you need to get the duel jewel patch so the 1.4 patch will take.
Download it to your desktop with no other programs running but IE. Load mercenary and D3, if you have XP find D3 in the directories then drag the icon for the duel jewel patch onto the D3 directory and it will apply itself to the game, this fixes the error <the path does not exist>. After that drag and drop the icon for the 1.4 update on the D3 directory, it will apply correctly this time. If you dont know about directories and such things, get someone to help you with that.
Hope it helps.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

woodi, as far as I know, dragging and dropping the patch into the D3 directory won't do anything more than move the .exe file into that directory. You have to physically run the patch and specify which directory D3 is installed in. Good catch on the dual-jewel, though; I keep forgetting about that :).
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Top Gun wrote:woodi, as far as I know, dragging and dropping the patch into the D3 directory won't do anything more than move the .exe file into that directory. You have to physically run the patch and specify which directory D3 is installed in.

Correct.
Good catch on the dual-jewel, though; I keep forgetting about that :).
Funny, I mentioned it in my initial post in this thread....even linked to the PD D3 patches page with the fix. Don't ya love it when people skim posts? ;)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I should be annoyed at myself, seeing as how I'm the one who uploaded it to PD in the first place :P.
forrest
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by forrest »

Thank you for your help I'll try again.let you know!
forrest
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by forrest »

You guys are the greatest.It worked,it worked,it worked.Now I am off to the games.I am in your debt, maybe some day I will be able to help you out.
World War Woodi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by World War Woodi »

Ahh yes I think your right, I had to do so many things to get it to work I must have forgot how I finally got it in there.