Blood is thicker than water

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Blood is thicker than water

Post by Duper »

What exactly does this mean?

I have an understanding and I'm sure it's different than most.

What do you folks it means?
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

I had no idea what it meant, but I've heard the idiom before. According to goenglish.com it means:

Family (blood) is more important (thicker) than friendship (water).
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Means people will protect family members over anyone else.

IE: You'll protect your son even though you know he commited a crime.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

index_html wrote:Family (blood) is more important (thicker) than friendship (water).
That's what I always took it for.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

it's typically stated the way index meant it -- essentially, blood relationships are more important (or stronger) than any other kind.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

water is here today, and tomorrow it's evaporated. water flows easily from one place to another.

blood however is sticky, you can't get rid of it. try to wipe it off, and it smears, and drys leaving a stain.

the expression means that when things get rough, your family ties will stick around a lot longer than anything else. and even when those ties seem long gone, you find that you never really be rid of them because one day you will be surprised when some blood shows up and injects itself back into the veins of your life.

i prefer to use the expression: "friends come and go, but you can't choose or change your family."
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

roid wrote: i prefer to use the expression: "friends come and go, but you can't choose or change your family."
Wanna bet? I've disowned both my father and mother and only sister. It sucks but there's no point when they are (_O_)'s.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I understand it as: the blood of covenant is stronger than the water of the womb.

Here in the States and most of western culture, blood covenants are not common. Marrage is about the only thing simular. It's a biblical referance. Just as "don't kill the messenger" is. ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
roid wrote: i prefer to use the expression: "friends come and go, but you can't choose or change your family."
Wanna bet? I've disowned both my father and mother and only sister. It sucks but there's no point when they are (_O_)'s.
you find that you never really be rid of them because one day you will be surprised when some blood shows up and injects itself back into the veins of your life.

everything is relative to the passing of time. things may be different decades from now.

what is this disowning stuff anyway? you can't deny your inherent similarities with your family, there are ties that you just can't drop no matter how much you want to. it's like changing the colour of your skin.

your family is still your family, no matter how much you hate them and no matter where they are. it's temporary. to truly disconect yourself from them you would probabaly have to hunt them down and kill them.

didn't you watch starwars :D
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

...which too is possible!
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

roid wrote:you can't deny your inherent similarities with your family, there are ties that you just can't drop no matter how much you want to. it's like changing the colour of your skin.
Word! Just look at all the grief its brought Michael Jackson!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

This is what it means (NHB access req'd).