Any Space Orb users out there?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

kgbuzzzzz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Any Space Orb users out there?

Post by kgbuzzzzz »

I've been back into the game after a very long break and have been checking out the multiplayer action. Frankly, I am getting flat out destroyed. Are all the players still online expert veterans at this point?

Anyhow, I am considering moving to a joystick to help improve my gameplay. The orb is great to fly but real hard to aim. Anyone with any pro/con opinions out there?

Thanks,
KGBuzz
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I'm still convinced that the only purpose in using the SpaceOrb was to turn faster than ordinarily allowed in D1/D2.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hey kg. :) Not everyone still playing is a pro; take me for instance. :P Anyway, for a quality joystick, I'd recommend the Saitek Cyborg Evo. It has a good button setup, a nice feel, and uses USB. I picked up one for about $60-70. Of course, if you're able to find one and have a gameport, a Sidewinder 3DPro is always a good option.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I used the spaceorb for about 9 months in D3. During those 9 months I figured out that joysticks have more precision. ;)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I use the evo as well. It's the only stick that has stood up to the pounding I put sticks through. :P
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

i would suggest the 3dpro as well, still the best joystick for any descent. but it makes trouble on computers with fsb 133 or higher.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

The Logitech Freedom 2.4 hz is good as well.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

The 2.4 is not lasting very long tho.. Using a Mickeysoft FF2 on my main comp, a sw3dpro on my LAN comp. Waiting for the Saitek x52 to be released, have to check it out :) I would like to try the Spaceball 5000 but I have a hard time comming up w/ ~$400 w/o knowing if D3 would see it..

Edit: almost forgot -- welcome back 8)
kgbuzzzzz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by kgbuzzzzz »

Thanks for all the info. I do agree that precision is a problem with the orb.

I am guessing you guys/gals are using the KB for slide, forward, reverse, up, down and afterburn? I think this is going to be difficult for me to get used to.
kgbuzzzzz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by kgbuzzzzz »

Jeff250 wrote:I'm still convinced that the only purpose in using the SpaceOrb was to turn faster than ordinarily allowed in D1/D2.
When I first started using the orb in D1, there was a single button feature that turned you 180 degrees in an instant. Obviously an advantage. This "feature" was removed from later versions of the driver.

The sensitivity in D3 is much higher than D1/D2 and can be overwhelming. I need to turn it way down if I intend to be able to hit the broad side of a barn while aiming.
kgbuzzzzz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by kgbuzzzzz »

Grendel wrote:The 2.4 is not lasting very long tho.. Using a Mickeysoft FF2 on my main comp, a sw3dpro on my LAN comp. Waiting for the Saitek x52 to be released, have to check it out :) I would like to try the Spaceball 5000 but I have a hard time comming up w/ ~$400 w/o knowing if D3 would see it..

Edit: almost forgot -- welcome back 8)
Thank you and...

Wow!
http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/x52.htm
That will make putting down my orb much easier!
Will D3 interface with all those buttons?
Thanks
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

X52 doesn't have twist. Oh well. Can't buy a stick without twist.
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

Piranha is a kickass Orb wh0re. I dunno if he plays anymore, though. I'm pretty sure he learned to play joystick, too, but ended up going back to the orb.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold is a great stick and it has twist. It's not too spendy either.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

The 2.4 is not lasting very long tho..
Eh? I assume you're referring to the hat. If that's the case, very few sticks have lasting hats. The secret is to slide with KB. I haven't heard many complaints about the 2.4 otherwise.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

No he's referring to the actual stick-motion part. It uses real potentiometers instead of non-contact optical technology like the 3d pro. This causes it to wear out in around 2 weeks.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

CDN_Merlin wrote:X52 doesn't have twist. Oh well. Can't buy a stick without twist.
*eeep* Wrong. Read the specs -- it has da twist :P

kgbuzzzzz, yes, D3 will interface w/ the buttons. I'm using the joystick for most of the movement, ie. handle does pitch, heading & roll, the hat switch for sliding (makes 5 axis). Forward, back and AB are on the Speedpad n52 (Belkin) along w/ fire secondary and some more. Should be easy to get used to coming from an orb.

And Suncho is right, the pots Logitech used in the 2.4 and extreme 3D pro are utter crap (I went thru 8 (!) LT sticks before I gave up). The hat assembly on those sticks is actually pretty good.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Mine's still holding up, as is Shadowfox's, and as far as I know, the other Freedom users in the community.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

The pots in my 1st lasted about 6 months, the 2nd 3 and no 3 one month.. The E3DP is a lot worse, wasted two w/ 2 weeks. Just play more and check out the Logitech user support forums :P