Should we feel sad?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Should we feel sad?

Post by woodchip »

By some reports, Yassar Arafat may be on his death bed. Based on his past and present terrorist activities, are any of you going to mourn this great man? Before you answer, Arafat is a fellow "human" being.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

More pressing.. who will take his place? And how will it happen?

Things could get ugly. ...um .."er". ;)
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

To be born is to suffer and die. We will all follow this road without reference to what we have done in this life. Some will mourn some will rejoice. He will be dead either way.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Hopefully some good will come of his death, like maybe an end to the unofficially sanctioned violence that the palestinians perpetrate.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

It will be like having a tumor removed...wake up and check to see if you survived the operation then a wave of relief.
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

What Will said. Good riddance. Maybe Jimmy Carter can take his place.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I watched an interview of him once and thought he was intelligent. But that was a while ago. Now im not so sure anymore, and I kinda hope he goes away since he isnt doing much to end the violence.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Well, I don't wish death upon anyone, 'cept for a couple people, but like Wop said, he hasn't done a single thing to stop the violence over there. If he had truly cared about that, he could have something over the last few decades, I'm not saying he's completely responsible for the violence, but he could have tried a little more. Oh well, I believe peace needs to come from both sides, not just the Palestinians.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

...not just the Palestinians.
Like what the hell have they done to promote peace?
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

In answer to the question "should we feel sad?"

I feel sad that the Palestinians the middle east and to a certain extent the whole world has been held to ransom for the past lord how many years because of this terrorist. While he and his cronies have siphoned off aid monies pledged to the palestinian people so their wives and childeren can live in luxury in Europe, and they can drive around in air-conditioned mercs that they park in the palaces on the beach.

I feel sad at missed opportunities. The Camp David agreement would have saved countless lives of the future intifada and maybe lives lost in other conflicts whose protagonists used the palestinians as an excuse for terror.

I feel sad that his ego and paranoia would not allow him to set up a viable structure to suceed him after he's gone, thus causing a power struggle within his own people leading to the loss of even more life.

Do i feel sorry for the man? Well having said all of the above, i'll ask sub question. If before 9/11 you would have had the opportunity to get rid of Bin Laden would you have felt sorry for him. Or Hitler after he wrote Mein Kampf, Pol Pot, Timothy McVeigh ect ect. So no i feel no sadness for Arafat at all.

This week was the memorial day for Rabin, the vote to withdraw from Gaza in the knesset, and now this. I can only hope that there is some sign for the positive finally in all this mess.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well we certainly see where the Frogs sympathy's lie. I won't be surprised if they give him a ticker tape parade thru the Arch de Triumphe.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

bash, i didn't mean the palestinians do anything. i meant everyone forgets that israel should be just as important in the peace process, everyone blames the palestinians for this never ending cycle of violence. they really need to figure that crap out, it's getting old