Coffee

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Coffee

Post by Tricord »

So, how did the addiction start?

I used to drink a huge cup of tea as breakfast before school, and I always had to ask to go to the toilet during first classhour. However, at uni you can't just ask the professor to leave your seat, so I had to find something to wake me up as much as the tea, but fitting in a smaller cup.

That's when I picked up the triple espresso with two sugar cubes. It was excellent to kickstart the day, I'd drink that on an empty stomach with sleepy eyes and as soon as the caffeine started to kick in I was ready to go. I never eat before midday (no breakfast), but I still drink my triple in the mornings, but it doesn't have the effect it used to have :)

I now drink three to four triples every day. That is concentrated stuff. Regular coffee is just water with a small and bitter taste to it..
I only drink Illy coffee. Damn expensive (6.5EUR for a quarter kilo!) but soooo much better than anything else out there..

Maybe I should tone down a little? :D
At least I don't have a smoking addiction...
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Welcome to the first step of the rest of your life, you only have 11 more to go :P
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Coffee is as bad as any other drug. Just watch your teeth yellow in the enxt year no matter how much brushing you do.

I drink 1 Tim Horton's coffe per day and that is when i come to work. I rarely drink a 2nd.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<~~ half a pot a day here. It's all about buzz management. I guess once a speed freak, always a speed freak.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I can't even stand the smell of coffee, maybe I can engineer a coffee maker to make hot chocolate :)
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

im not as much of a coffee junkie as i used to be. many summers ago i used to stay up all night then go skating for 7 hours. needed something to keep me going...

however, now i just drink around 10 cans of red bull/some stimulent before a show. :)
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I am a hard core coffee junkie before lunchtime. But after 1PM I go cold turkey ... otherwise I will end up playing D3 until 4AM the next morning.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Iceman wrote:I am a hard core coffee junkie before lunchtime. But after 1PM I go cold turkey ... otherwise I will end up playing D3 until 4AM the next morning.
And the problem with that is......?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Dedman wrote:<~~ half a pot a day here. It's all about buzz management. I guess once a speed freak, always a speed freak.
Same here. I joined a band and they handed me a list of 50 to 60 songs to learn, they said they wanted to be on stage in 2 weeks so I gave up smoking pot and switched to coffee ;)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

An apple is better at waking you up in the morning than tea or coffee.

Saying that though, there's a beautiful ritual I perform at the feet of my espresso machine each and every morning. There's something satisfying about producing a great big Latte with foamy milk, and the caffeine experience is enhanced by this process.

I'm a caffeine cowboy! :)

Since getting my machine, I drink far less volume of coffee, but I now despise instant.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Mobi saying that an apple will wake me up better than a cup of coffee is like saying a cold latex doll feels better than a real woman ... :D
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

MmmMmmm. Coffee.

I drink so much coffee. 2-4 cups before I leave the house in the AM. Probably 4-6 more throughout the day. Then some more in the evening...

I grind my own whole beans when I'm in the mood, otherwise it is just ground coffee. My house smells like a coffee shop, so I burn apple candles. Coffee smell+ Apple smell = :)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Espresso actually has less caffeine in it than regular coffee. More flavor, but less caffiene. It has to do with the way it's brewed. Espresso makers force lots of water through the coffee in a short time, thus, less caffeine extraction. Drip coffee makers let the water take it's time passing through the coffee, picking up more caffiene on it's way. Darker roasts have less caffiene than lighter, as well.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've never tried coffee, but I will say that a tall glass of OJ gets me going in the morning. :)
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Top Gun wrote:I've never tried coffee, but I will say that a tall glass of OJ gets me going in the morning. :)
Noob :wink:
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Top Gun wrote:I've never tried coffee ...
You gotta be kiddin me? Life begins with a good cup of coffee.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

For a while, even the smell made me gag, and it's still unappealing. :P If I want a rush, I'll drink a few Cokes.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Iceman wrote:Mobi saying that an apple will wake me up better than a cup of coffee is like saying a cold latex doll feels better than a real woman ... :D
LMFAO!

I adjusted the pressure on my espresso machine down somewhat. Therefore the caffeine levels are much higher as the steam takes longer to move through the "brick".

I usually make a "1.5 shot" strength cup - and this is definitely enough to be "caffinated" by the time the cup is finished!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I hate coffee. I cant stand the smell or the flavor. I cant imagine why or how you people can be addicted to such a thing. :)

I am more of a tea drinker myself. I usually pour about 4/5 of hot water into a TALL glass (about the size of a decent vase), add 3 teaspoons of sugar and fill the rest with milk.

Oh. And tea does not cost $7 a cup. I like to make fun of these people who drink their $8 lattes. Ohhh, so you think you are fancy that you drink an overpriced beverage that does you more harm than good? Very cultured of you! Now get back inside your H2 Hummer and beat it. :P
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I leap out of bed and am fully awake by the time I hit the shower.

But Tuesday at 5pm, I drink an 8oz coffee with 5 sugar packets and 1/3 of the cup milk. It speeds up my second wind for the bowling league that night from 9 to midnight. I bowl more consistently.

If I drink it past 5, I'm up 'till 3am.
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

The wonderful effects of coffee.

Though I don't drink it--I'm more of a tea snob.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re: Coffee

Post by Grendel »

Tricord wrote:I only drink Illy coffee. Damn expensive (6.5EUR for a quarter kilo!) but soooo much better than anything else out there..
Good choice. Illy is my backup if I'm out of Lavazza :) Espresso only, italian style. An Pun, if your espresso has less caffeine than regular (even real non-american) coffee you haven't had an espresso yet :P A good espresso maker forces water at temperatures above boiling point thru the powder, extracting anything there is :)
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

Coffee is bad for you... my parents dont drink it, my grandparents dont drink it, my two great grandparents dont drink it...

I mean look what happens when i take a sip of coffee... it is *sip*
coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee ........ zzzzz*
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

It's true, Gren. Google it. I'm too lazy. :P

Oh and BTW, Illy is killer. My mom uses the little pouches in her espresso maker. Awesome Cappucinos and Lattes. Yum!
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Spaceboy wrote:Coffee is bad for you...
Life is terminal. Pick your poison and commence with living.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Testiculese wrote:I leap out of bed and am fully awake by the time I hit the shower.
Man I am dragging the floor hopelessly until I pound 2 cups of coffee.
Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arbitar »

Ahh .. I need my triple shot 20 oz Mexican Mocha every AM. Or I'm dead in class.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

punisher wrote:It's true, Gren. Google it. I'm too lazy. :P
1st hit for this search (*click*):
Double espresso (2oz) 45-100 mg
Brewed coffee (8 oz) 60-120 mg
Espresso: ~4 times caffeine of brewed coffee for the same volume in my book :P (And I drink it by volume.. ;))

Edit: Give Lavazza a try, I like it better than Illy. 100% Arabica too (Robusta, eew).
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Spaceboy wrote:Coffee is bad for you... my parents dont drink it, my grandparents dont drink it, my two great grandparents dont drink it..
Mormons?

I wouldn't be able to function without my morning cup(s) of coffee. Fresh ground beans (Ethiopian Harrar is my current favorite), brewed with a French Press.

Or if I'm feeling lazy (and willing to part with my $$$) I hit the coffee shop and grab a "depth charge" . . . coffee + shot of espresso.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

OOoooo, coffee sounds good.

with EGG NOG!!!

:mrgreen:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I tried giving up coffee a while back...and failed. Sob.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I didn't drink coffee till I was in my late teens. In my house it was a "grown up drink". My kid doesn't like it so it hasn't carried on, not that I would. I've drank the stuff for years. I only drink a cup or two at work. maybe one at home once in a while.

I'm a social drinker..... :mrgreen:
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

my downfall wasbuying my own espresso machine.

normally I drink 3 4 shot Latte's a day
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

No wonder there are so many high strung people who can't be bothered to use any common sense these days. WAY too many people fused with caffeine. Can't really judge though, I drink Dr.Pepper like its going out of style and I'm a smoker so...

Just waiting for diabetes to set in and wait in line along with all the other things thats killing me slowly :P
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Thing with coffee, I bet, is it's a self-defeating drug.

You drink a cup, you get high, then you crash hard 'cause you used your energy reserve while loaded on caffine. So you need to drink another cup to get that high back (or at least back to normal), but you never really do because you are burnt out from the previous cup, so then you drink a cup too late in the evening, like right after work, and the caffiene screws up your sleep cycle, so those 8 sleep hours were not really 8 hours worth. If you even get 8.

So the next morning, you need it. And the next, and the next.

Hmm...sounds like crack to me. (Isn't that right? Your first high is your best, and crackheads spend the rest of their miserable lives trying to get that first high again?)

I wonder if TB should be told of the similarities so he can petition for it's entry into Schedule IV.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i'm something else on caffine, there's probabaly a fair amount of threads/posts mine here that are testimount to that. last time i used caffine i was jumping around like a crazy thing, went and saw a romance movie, and almost threw up (i think i had had too much).
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Ahh Coffee.....|_P |_P |_P |_P

Large (Venti) Starbucks coffee with 2 shots of Espresso twice a day, Use only as directed.

Get your cup of Starcrack at CRACKBUCKS
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Tyranny wrote:... and I'm a smoker so....
Smokers are banned from critiqing the habits of others where health is concerned :)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Will Robinson wrote:
Tyranny wrote:... and I'm a smoker so....
Smokers are banned from critiqing the habits of others where health is concerned :)
++
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

I'm not a big coffee person myself... On late nights, when I'm digging through a mountain of Modern Physics homework, I have been known to go through an entire box of Pop Tarts though. Nothing quite like a raw sugar buzz at 4:00am to get you through that last problem.

I got a few laughs out of my roommate's coffee-drinking habits last year. Once, he didn't drink coffee for a week, and at the end of that week, he woke up with the shakes. Talk about dependency... One night, he almost took in a lethal dose of caffeine (yes, all before he could metabolize the first drink) at the campus Starshmucks... He woke up that morning with shakes for an entirely different reason (still buzzed). We figured it out in the morning, and he had had taken in something between 8.5 and 9 grams of caffeine inside a two-hour window, and ten is supposed to kill you.

I'll stick to refined sugars, thanks. That addiction-carcenogen mix is tastier. ;)