Pitch Black

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Pitch Black

Post by woodchip »

The precursor to the Chronicles of Riddick is on the Sci Fi station tonight so off to make a bucket of popcorn in my hot air corn popper, a little melted butter (real butter) and stretch out to be entertained.
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

good movie.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Oh yeah! Thanks Chippy. Loved Pitch Black. Love a Man Apart. Hated Triple X though.

Chronicles of Riddick? Good?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Best movie Vin Deisel was in so far was Saving Private Ryan :P oh, and the Iron Giant :P
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Oh man I was so traumatized by Saving Private Ryan. I can hardly remember it except for the stabbing scene that made me burst into tears and stop watching. Was Vin Diesel in it? No way I can watch that movie again. It took me a couple of weeks to get over it. :(
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

Vin Deisel's a decent actor. Good enough for action movies anyway. Plus, he scores nerd points for being a D&D player. ;)
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

It's BlueFlames!!! ;)

Pitch Black > 100 * Chronicles of Riddick

David Twohy completely dropped the ball on CoR, IMO. Just so unfocused and overblown.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Pitch Black was memorable because of it's atmosphere.. It pretty much sucked for the rest.

Don't tell roid about the glowing worms that give off blue light or he will wet his pants :P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

hmm, i've not seen pitch black coz i'm not a fan of the horror genre. if it's really good perhaps i'll check it out. what's so pantwetting about these glowworms? or is it a spoiler?
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

I liked Pitch Black because each of the four main characters underwent a 180-degree change in role by the end. None of them ended up the same person they were at the beginning, either because they weren't what they seemed or because of a fundamental personality shift.

Plus I liked the atmosphere, plus I think it's the *only* role in which Vin Diesel truly shines, plus the film really seemed to have it's own personality and it's own ideas. It wasn't just a knock off like most of the other sci-fi monster films of the past 10 years.

It certainly wasn't a Hollywood blockbuster, and that's its charm. They didn't have a big budget, and the effects and action aren't that astounding. Yet it's one of my favorite recent sci-fi films.

And don't worry, roid, there's not so much "horror" or even scariness. It's just good sci-fi.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

sheepdog wrote:Oh yeah! Thanks Chippy. Loved Pitch Black. Love a Man Apart. Hated Triple X though.

Chronicles of Riddick? Good?
You're welcome Margo.
Are Love a Man and Triple X part of the Riddick character series or is Chronicles the next ideration of Riddick after Pitch Black?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i thought fast and the furious sucked. is this considered one of Vin Diesel's bad roles?

i never knew he was in saving private ryan and the iron giant. what roles did he play tyranny?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

The only part I didn't like was [spoiler]when the character played by Claudia Black died. (She was the one that got torn in half by the flying "baby" aliens when they were making a run for that cargo container.)[/spoiler]
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Ditto, MD.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

aw, poor MD's tough Farscape babe got killed :P

It's just a movie, simma down noa :P

Vin Diesel played a supporting role in Saving Private Ryan, if you don't remember him, try recalling the scene with the Sniper.

He had a big enough part playing Pvt. Adrian Caparzo in the movie to make an impact on directors and whatnot. Which is one of the reasons his career got off the ground.

Just for Woody, there are other portions of Riddick's story that were released on video. Granted their animated but Vin Diesel does do the voice if that helps any :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Thanks Ty. I'll pass on to 'toons. So I guess I can go rent the video of Chronicles and not bypass anything.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Pitch Black is definitely a decent horror/action/sci-fi movie. It doesn't top the Alien films, but then, what does? ;)
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

A Man Apart is a revenge shoot up the south of the border drug dealers flick. Vin is DEA? teams up with a couple of his buds(very cool characters) and goes on the hunt after the badasses who kill his wicked cute wife at the beginning of the movie.

Triple X has some cool stunts but is so bad most of the time, I had to turn it off before it was over. And I think Vin is hot in a dopey steroidal sort of way, so you know it had to be bad! ;)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

man- now I'm in the mood to watch pitch black.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I guess I'm the only one that found XXX to be a spoof of the 007 movies. Seriously, how could you NOT find his playstation comment funny? ;)
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Now, if I still got high I might agree with ya MD. I remember him making a video game comment in the bridge scene, was that the playstation comment? Mebbe I turned it off before the good part?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

sheepdog wrote:Now, if I still got high I might agree with ya MD. I remember him making a video game comment in the bridge scene, was that the playstation comment? Mebbe I turned it off before the good part?
It was the part with the bazooka.
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

Yeah, I saw it the other day. It was ok.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Saw the Director's cut of Chronicles today. Has a lot of changes -- added/extended scenes (there are a lot of them; there's an addition of a Furyan character named Shirah) , sound, and dialogue, a lot less action jerkiness and bluriness, deleted scenes (no more thermometer showing Crematoria rising to 700 degrees) and dialogue (Diesel's thoughts about popularity, slitting throats, and being on the "back of the bus" after being captured and on the way to Crematoria are gone)... Full list is here.

I thought it was a lot better than the theatrical version.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Is the directors cut going to be what I rent in the dvd version? I was planning on renting it this weekend.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

I checked Blockbuster.com and the description seems to indicate that they are offering the directors cut .

http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/Disp ... eID=132957

BTW for anyone who doesn't know about Rotten Tomatos

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

I'm still not sure whether I like the original or director's cut better. I think that David Twohy was a complete dork in his little 10-second intro, but I'll ignore that for now. ;) It's hard to say because some of the changes do change the story some (or at least our impressions and thoughts). It's not like it's bad, just different. Some parts were definitely better, others may take some getting used to.

But if you haven't seen the theatrical release, you won't have any issues with the director's cut. (And yes, there are a lot of changes that they put in. The box said 5 minutes of added scenes, Twohy said 15 minutes. Twohy's figure feels much more "right".)