I had to sing in Church

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

beo i thought you gave that up. why are you still attending? to please your parents? not good.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

my parents asked me if i wanted a cell phone when i was 10... 3 years ago. I told them I'd never use it, and asked instead for something else.
Im 13, other then 30 minutes of homework, and 30 minutes of chores (mowing the lawn cleaning the family room etc...) that leaves me with about 7 hours of freetime per day. Ha I laugh in all of your faces. I have 500$ i can blow right now... all of you might have like 100k but you have to save that for stuff like paying for your house/food. so ha! lol :) :D

anyways... singing... not that big of a deal :roll: My voice is so bad it would make a person who would kill himself to get rid of music fall asleep. I sing in church, saxophone in school, and piano at home... not that much of a problemo.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Since the discussion ran wild, I got a cellphone when I was 27, threw it away when I was 29. Don't have one still. (2 years later) I think I have more minutes in D3 than the cellphone for the same time period.

I sang in choir in middle school, before it was 'uncool'. Nothing to do with a church tho'.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I have more and I don't. But money doesn't really matter, just what you do with it.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I was paying $50.00 a month for room and board when I was 12, (I started part time worked when I was 11 yr. old on a very long paper route for a year before that) and that was 1970's dollars.

No allowance either... I delivered papers on a 144 + paper route rain, sleet, hail or snow, also no apartment buildings.

I made my own breakfast, lunch, and occasionally dinner. I did my own laundry I did the chores requested of me, and I bought my own shoes and most of my clothes. This taught me the value of a dollar and how to save.

After the old man took his cut, I was left on average from $1.50 to $5.00 a month.
Some months with tips I made $12.00 or more... I saved that over 2-3 years to get my first $500.00

I also walked to school uphill there and back, phones weighed 5-7 pounds, and were rotary. You could beat someone to death with the receiver as it was built like a club, and occasionly you would read in the paper someone actully would use one like that.
TV's were candles behind a pane of glass, and cars weighed more than 2 elephants. We also had "Duck and Cover"

Oh ya and back on topic, I enjoyed singing in school even if it did get me beat up over it.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Dark Falcon wrote:If I have a cellphone, I won't give away my number
Umm. Well to tell you the truth would any one really care.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

ummm really intersting topic ;)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Beowulf wrote:heh...where's that "this is a room of people who care" image?

Jeez, you're spoiled. I've been working since I was 15. Stop complaining. If I got all the shiz you got for free I'd sing the Palestinian national anthem if they asked me to (and that says a lot, I hate Palestinians)

In any case, luckily my parents are JWs, so I just have to go to meetings and service and sit there and think about all the sins I like to commit.
I had to think for a day before replying because you used a word "spoiled" that I've never heard said about me. I kinda wondered if I was just that. So, I asked my father. He said I was not spoiled.
Since it's just me and dad living together, I do most of the housework. I clean, dust, vacuum, mow the lawn, iron, make the beds, and some other stuff too. No, I'm not spoiled, but thanks for making me think. :wink:

Bettina

Edit....I don't know what you mean about the "this is a room etc..."
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

bet51987 wrote:
Beowulf wrote:heh...where's that "this is a room of people who care" image?

Jeez, you're spoiled. I've been working since I was 15. Stop complaining. If I got all the shiz you got for free I'd sing the Palestinian national anthem if they asked me to (and that says a lot, I hate Palestinians)

In any case, luckily my parents are JWs, so I just have to go to meetings and service and sit there and think about all the sins I like to commit.
I had to think for a day before replying because you used a word "spoiled" that I've never heard said about me. I kinda wondered if I was just that. So, I asked my father. He said I was not spoiled.
Since it's just me and dad living together, I do most of the housework. I clean, dust, vacuum, mow the lawn, iron, make the beds, and some other stuff too. No, I'm not spoiled, but thanks for making me think. :wink:

Bettina

Edit....I don't know what you mean about the "this is a room etc..."
you had to ask your father if you were spoiled?
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

bet51987 wrote: Edit....I don't know what you mean about the "this is a room etc..."

There. That's "The Room" picture.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Got it now....hehe :D
Like I mentioned in my first post. I was just babbling.

Bettina
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Tyranny wrote:[rant]
Beowulf wrote: I didn't get a phone until I was sixteen years old because my parents wouldn't buy it for me and I had to pay for it myself along with my cell phone service.
Wtf did you need a cellphone at 16 for? You were 16! ;) Everyone forget how to use a pay phone overnight? All these little spoiled brats running around with cellphones at school these days. Or grownups driving/walking around with them glued to their ears. Not once did I ever need to call someone from school or do I need to talk to someone so much that I have to have a friggin phone with me all the damn time.

I still don't have a cellphone. Most of the features are pointless. OMG, CUTE RINGTONES! :roll: wow, I can check my email :roll: Awesome, I can play mp3s! :roll: It's a phone retard, you know, you use them to phvcking talk.[/rant]
Actually, I have a good use for mine (though sometimes I wish I could drop it) When you're trying to support a long distance relationship, having unlimited free minutes is nice. I think it ends up being cheaper than if I where paying per minute.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: I had to sing in Church

Post by snoopy »

bet51987 wrote:Anyway, while Dad was all proud, all I could think about up there was which one of you guys ratted on me......It's the only thing I was thinking about the whole time. Drakona I'm sure has the power and I will figure it out somehow.
Did I miss something? Couldn't your dad just visit the BB himself? (I mean, he pretty obviously knows you come here, and it's a public place)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: I had to sing in Church

Post by Bet51987 »

snoopy wrote:
bet51987 wrote:Anyway, while Dad was all proud, all I could think about up there was which one of you guys ratted on me......It's the only thing I was thinking about the whole time. Drakona I'm sure has the power and I will figure it out somehow.
Did I miss something? Couldn't your dad just visit the BB himself? (I mean, he pretty obviously knows you come here, and it's a public place)
If he visited this BB and saw what I've written in the ethics forum, I would not be here any more. Maybe not even alive. Luckily he never uses my computer, and he's not a game kind of person anyway. I autoerase the history file, cache, etc, at bootup and don't have any pointers to this place.
Dang...now I've got the chills.
He knows I'm on a Descent forum, but not which one, so I think I'm gonna find another one to use as a decoy.....
I'm glad you mentioned this....I'm worried now. He's been trusting me, no more open door when I play and I don't want to blow it. Suggestions? I need to keep him out of here big time.

Bettina
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Sounds like your father is a reactionary psycho... either that or you're exaggerating a wee bit.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

So the sweet little Bettina that we have come to has a dark and wild side to her. The cat is out of the bag now. It all makes sense now her flirting with Ingus and his GREAT NINJA WAY she had to experience something she never knew before. I just donâ??t know what it is yet. :P

Hey any one seen what happened to the cat. ;)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:So the sweet little Bettina that we have come to has a dark and wild side to her. The cat is out of the bag now. It all makes sense now her flirting with Ingus and his GREAT NINJA WAY she had to experience something she never knew before. I just donâ??t know what it is yet. :P

Hey any one seen what happened to the cat. ;)
Schrodinger's Cat? :)
It has just three states. It's alive, dead, or neither alive nor dead. But if I ran that test, the cat would always be dead.

If it's the "cat in the bag", It's still in the bag.
I'm not a flirt or wild by any stretch. I just have a religious conviction that is way opposite of my father's that will deeply hurt him more than make him mad if he found out.

I've calmed down a little now, and I'm not worried he will look into the DBB. He's just not interested in computer games and trusts me to stay away from bad places and bad people...and I do. But, I'm gonna think of something.....

Bettina
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Are we talking about Ace Combat's cat?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Bettina missed the little joke, and JMEat was all most right.

And now this thread just took another turn.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I'd like to see it turn into a pizza, but hey that's just me.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Phaser is 12, not Bettina.

Anyway, roid, I still go because I'm forced to go. Trust me, I don't enjoy it (I hate it, in fact)

What really gets me is the really close friends that I've made in the Kingdom Hall...would they still be my buddies if they knew I was just going to meetings and stuff because I had to? Makes me wonder...
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

Beowulf wrote:Phaser is 12, not Bettina.
I am not 12 i am 14!!!! god!!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Anyway, roid, I still go because I'm forced to go. Trust me, I don't enjoy it (I hate it, in fact)

What really gets me is the really close friends that I've made in the Kingdom Hall...would they still be my buddies if they knew I was just going to meetings and stuff because I had to? Makes me wonder...
some wouldn't no, but those people arn't worth your time anyway. it's a good way of sifting ppl who really care - your true friends, from your dumb club buddies. these "dumb club buddies" being very on-topic for this thread*, i see them as another bane of christianity. these ppl are scared of everything.

this is from my experience. i skipped approx 7 concurrent months of meetings early this year.

i'm not sure i buy your "i'm forced to go" excuse, could you be more specific?

*oops, i'm thinking about the E&C thread.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

roid, did your parents ever make you do anything?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

there's a limit.

they respect that religion is inherently a personal choice.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Being spoiled is a state of mind, it cannot be reflected in materialistic things. There are people who are filthy rich and live extravagant lives, but who are not spoiled. There are people that have to scrap every cent together to buy bread, yet are dead spoiled.

Being spoiled is taking a wrong turn in your evolution of mind. Being spoiled is taking advantage of whatever situation and whatever person you can. Being spoiled is about wanting to get, get, get without giving yourself.

I can't say we're a poor family (in fact we're doing very well for ourselves). All these little expensive things I bought (pianos, cars, computers) I decided to work for and pay for myself, while I could have asked my parents to fork over the cash and they would have without much discussion.

That's one thing. The other thing is about wether wealthyness brings happiness. That's a definite no! I'm not as happy as I'd like myself to be. Why? Not because I'm short of something, I have literally plenty more than I strictly need.

Getting to know yourself is the first step, I say. Still learning about myself, and pushing 22 now.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

very nice tri