Rice.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Rice.

Post by Flabby Chick »

...does anyone know how to cook it properly.

I'm a fairly good in the kitchen so the wife says, and i regularly invite friends over for a nosh up, and they've never had food poisoning...yet. I do a mean chicken kiev, chinese stir fry, stroganoff, roast beef 'n' onions.

I also pickle veggies. Cucumbers, onions and eggs (yes pickled eggs) being my favourites. I make olives. From picking them in my garden to the plate. I make my own spices. And have started making wine again.

But im Crap at boiling bloody rice. I've tried all sorts of methods listed all over the net but it allways comes out like a splodgy starchy cementy ball of poo. I've tried long grain, short grain, indian grain, wheat grain and all i get is a bloody migrane (heh! nice pun flabby)

I want fluffy, dry floaty rice. Help!!!

Any ideas kids??
FC
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

1 cup rice
2 1/3 cup cold water
put in pot

heat @ medium to medium-high until water is just boiling. Do not stir. EVER. When water boils lower heat to low, cover tightly. Do not open for 20 minutes minimum.

Vary water amounts to taste. Less water=more sushi-ricelike. DO NOT STIR YOUR FREAKING RICE.

kthxbye

ps: stirring=BAD! DO NOT DO IT!

pps: yes, at times rice will become stuck to your pot. Oh well. You can buy a bamboo rice steamer if you'd like. I've never used one, but I hear they work well. Also, a rice cooker may be just the thing.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Thank god this wasn't another "ricer" post! :P

I have in the past had all types of problems getting the perfect cooked rice.

That is until I found this.

It's a no brainer operation, and my rice has always turned out fluffy and good!
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

heh

I came in here thinking much the same hatt :)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Yep, get a rice cooker.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Minute Rice. Read instructions. Can't go wrong. Why would you buy regular rice these days is beyond me.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

WA got it right- I'd go with less water, though. General rule of thumb is use double as much water as rice (I actually go slightly under) Make sure the heat is plenty low for the 20 minutes- it should boil, but never boil over. If the rice sticks real bad on the bottom, you probably had the heat too high at some point- bring to a boil under medium heat, not blasting it, and you should be good. Like WA siad, no lifty lid, no stirry. Also, I'd suggest a pinch of salt. (If you have a clear lid, you should see bubble thingys forming inside, but just never enough to start getting out of the lid)

(Note that's for white rice, if you're cooking wild rice do the same deal, just cook for 45 minutes after boil instead of 20)

As for the wetness/dryness, varying the amount of water you start with will change that. Cook with less water for dryer rice; and more water for wetter rice. Also, if you add a little oil in with the water, the rice will tend to stick to itself less. (I wouldn't put more than a couple of tablespoons of oil in.)

I think the indian rice would fall in the wild rice category, thus bumping up to 45 minutes- see what the recommended cooking time is on the back of the packet.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Hattrick got it right.

the correct answer is "Get a Rice Cooker". Go down to your local chinatown and get one from there.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

On a side note, anyone know where I can find that orange Mexican/Spanish (which one is it) rice you get at like Chi-Chi's? I can't seem to find it anywhere here. Most of the time I wind up getting Lipton Mexican or Spanish rice (they taste the same to me, and they definitely should not).
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

rice cooker here. 1 cup sushi rice, 1 1/3 cup water. 35 minutes later pure perfection sticky rice :)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Lets see here:

1 four cylinder engine.

4 hubcaps with spinners.

1 rear spoiler.

1 underbody kit.

2 green lights on the grill (I call 'em christmas lights).

2 racing stripes.

4 Vtec stickers.

1 set of underglows.

One sticker that states that my car is somehow faster than your car.

And the ability to drive like you're in Utah. ;)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

DCrazy wrote:On a side note, anyone know where I can find that orange Mexican/Spanish (which one is it) rice you get at like Chi-Chi's? I can't seem to find it anywhere here. Most of the time I wind up getting Lipton Mexican or Spanish rice (they taste the same to me, and they definitely should not).
You could try this.

My roommates and I do the following (Not perfectly on, but close, and easier than from scratch.): When yah make rice, make extra, so you have leftovers. A couple days later, take the leftover rice and throw it in a saucepan with enough oil to cover the rice, but have no extra. (Here's where you add precooked chicken or whatever if you want meat in it) Then, we grab a can of Ro-Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles and add it to the mix. Fry until it's all hot, add mexican blend cheese on top if you're a cheese fan, and enjoy.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

flabby, how have you been cooking it?
describe (also describe the container you use).

i cook rice easily in the microwave.

for 2 cups (or something) of rice i put the rice in a typically sized microwave container, cover the rice with a knuckle (approx 2-3 cm) or so of water ontop of the rice itself. put it in for 14mins or so (COVERED WITH THE LID).

i sometimes have to clean the microwave a bit afterwards, because while cooking the water can boil over, the lid doesn't stop that.

i get "fluffy" rice, as you put it. (careful when opening lid, the steam is ★■◆●ing dangerous).
there's no sitting water left in it.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I've tried in small and big pans. Somone once told me that if you fry the grains a little before adding the water then you get good results. Good results my arse.

I've got a mate who's off to Arizona soon so i'll ask him to purchase one of those rice making fings. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

It's all go here at the good old DBB no?
;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

but have you tried using a MICROWAVE. i always use a microwave, get perfect results.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

If i had one i'd try it, but we've never had the need for one.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

ahh
well i've never cooked rice on a stovetop before.
since i'd have to be experiementing, if i had to use a stovetop i'd feel safest steaming it. do you something like that to put on your stovetop?

in the microwave the rice prettymuch steams. the water evaporates very fast and steams the rice, that's why you need the lid (but it's not pressurised, the lid just sits there) in the microwave, so that the steam can circulate around only inside the container.

edit: this just in :)
i hear the chinese method (or something) is to first bring the water to the boil (or something), and never lift the lid. hmm, that was too vauge to be of help
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

mob let me fix you up here...

Ricer = too cheap to buy a real sports car. Honda and Ford do not make sport cars.
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

Z, they do make sports cars. Honda produced the NSX, badged under Honda in japan, Acura here. I'd also Consider the Ford GT one hell of a sportscar.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

We have a rice cooker and it makes perfect rice every time. 1x rice + 2x water. Turn cooker on and let it do it's thing.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Uncle Ben's Packet Rice.

Place in pot of boiling water for 15 minutes.

Drain packet.

Perfect every time.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Zuruck, Fastlane magazine 4 years in a row rated the Honda CRX as "The Most excitement for your money" of any vehicle ever.

The proviso was that you have to keep your left foot planted firmly on the floor the entire time though.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Flabby Chick wrote:If i had one i'd try it, but we've never had the need for one.
No uber-butterfied popcorn? :o
Arol
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arol »

FC, all the above cooking hints sound ok. Myself I found that after taking it of the burner, letting it sit for about 10 minuts under a closed lid makes it nice and fluffy. Especially Basmetti rice.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Rice cooker pal. If you like rice that'll get you kick a$$ rice everytime. Well worth the bit of extra space. If you can get your hands on imported Japanese rice* so much the better. Good soy sauce of course, Kikomann at the very least and you will think you've never eaten rice before.

Margo <---first husband third Gen Japanese-American

* back when I was cooking Japanese rice you needed to wash it completely before eating it because of pesticides etc.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

then again, why would someone buy a rice cooker if they don't even have use for a microwave?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

if you can't have success with my recipe, you don't belong anywhere near dangerous implements like...pots and pans.

Step away from the utensils!!!!!
Place both hands slowly in the air!!!!!