Descent LOTW on a modern machine? HELP.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Jake857
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Descent LOTW on a modern machine? HELP.

Post by Jake857 »

I was wondering if anyone can offer suggestions.

I am trying install and play Decent 1 (levels of the world) on an Athlon 900 machine runnning Win 98SE. The game installs, but the keys to not repond, the screen flickers, and in general the game won't run.

Someone suggested that I need an "emulator" because the clock speed is too fast?

Can you point in the right direction -or do I just need to find an older P2 class machine running Win 95 or DOS 6.x?

thanks.
RedBaron
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by RedBaron »

Get D1x - it is Descent 1 updated as a Windows program with various addons. I don't own D1 myself, so I don't know how good it is, but I use D2x, which is a variant of it for D2. It is a bit unstable, but unlike original Descent 1 & 2, it works nicely on modern machines. D2x is also available for Linux and MacOS X (I don't know if D1x is), and (I think) can use D1 data files.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

D1x is also availible for *nix
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

If you get D2x, get the CVS build. When you download the updated SDL files (links are in the readme file), it performs like a dream! :)