Pocket PC powered

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Pocket PC powered

Post by Tricord »

I finally bought one of the latest pocketpc's. Very neat. VGA screen, 520MHz, wireless LAN, etc.

Quite expensive for a toy, too. Still happy with it though :)

Who else has a pocketpc and what do you use it for?

PS: This post took 10min to write... :P
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

I have an Ipaq 3835. I use it for keeping names of contacts, e-mail, my gps, taking notes, recording audio, phone book, mp3's, financial calculator, insurance quick quote, and various other functions.

In other words, I can't live without it.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I cant wait until they make a pocket PC with a built in projected keyboard. I think its been advertized on the web before. Its a keyboard thats projected on to a flat surface like a desk and then you just tap the image on your desk like a KB. Theres no tactile sensation really, but still, better than trying to write stuff with a stylus I bet.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

HP iPaq 4100 with a Micro Keyboard. I use it for all kindsa stuff - keeping track of appointments, E-mail, writing, spreadsheets, mp3s.
Buef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Buef »

X3i

Play emulators while waiting in line, as well as other PPC games. MPGs while in the can. Trying to read the entire Baen free library ( http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm ). Warloitering (Finding hot spots whenever im waiting for somthing) Had it just about a year now, love it more than ever.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I know I've seen various types of keyboards available for PDAs, including vinyl ones that can be rolled up and easily stored as well as rigid ones that can collapse to a third of their length. You should look into one of those; it might make things much easier.

P.S. The principle of that library is awesome. :D
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I have a PocketPC that mounts in my company vehicle and connects via cell phone towers to download my emails/service calls and it has a nifty GPS program too. :)

I have a model manufactured by Symbol ($$$) and it has a built in keyboard and IR Scanner.
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

I just placed an order for this.

Dell Axim x50v, 624MHz, 3.7" Display, 480x640, Integrated Bluetooth.

I've been wanting to get one for a while now, so when I saw that I could get 15% off a Dell, I decided now was as good a time as any. Besides, my birthday is in a few days. (the big Three-Oh) :|

I hesitate to speculate as to what I'm going to use it for. (While I was building my first computer, I said I probably wasn't going to play video games on it, but rather use it for more "professional" tasks. haha!) I definitely plan to use the calendar, and with a 1GB CF card, I'm sure I'll use it for playing mp3's and transporting files back and forth from work. I'll probably post again after I get it.
T-Devil
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by T-Devil »

I have a Toshiba e310 that I have had for about 2 years. I use it for contacts, appointments and Excel mainly. I dont have wireless on mine, but I can still type e-mails that will send when I sync up at home and I have access to all received e-mails for the past 4 weeks. I'd be lost without mine. I have used it as an MP3 player as well as a portable digital photo album.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Good buy Tricord. I have an Ipaq 2210 :) I use it for everything. Playing games, organising my stuff, moving files, java programming.. I can't live without it either!

Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Java programming?
How does that work?

I have the Siemens pocket loox 720 by the way.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

J2ME SDK.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

I have an iPaq 6315 and love it. the number one thingi use my ppc for is the cell-phone although I don't thik that I have missed a meeting yet since i started using it to keep my calendar. I have loaded it anth a bunch of my favorite arusic and movies to watch when I'm Board . This uait has hand writting recon.zatioi - and as you Can see it doesn't do all that well from tire to time. the little Keyboard that it comes with Ba joke. I would like to find afull Size board I. can use with it. w oth a 1TesSoard you could use these PDA's much faster. It has taken me much to long to write this Reply.

Note: I left thos message mainly the way the unit neconized my writing. as you can see it isn't perfect with the 'transcriber'
Eagle132
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Eagle132 »

I had a Dell Axim X3, got it for Christmas last year. I used it for nottaking, music, mp3 player, recording, and much other stuff. Though some fat moron was horsin' around in the hallways one day and I had my handheld in my pocket with out a protector or anything, and he slammed into me and busted up the screen real bad. Then I lost it, so I wasn't able to send it back :'(
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

I finally got mine a few days ago, and man, I love it. So far, I've used it mainly for the calendar, account tracking, to-do lists, shopping lists, etc. It has integrated 802.11b and Bluetooth, so I've had some fun playing around with that.

Happy Birthday to ME! :D
t-pilot
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by t-pilot »

I don't have a pocket PC. But I do have a PDA:

Sony Clié PEG-SJ22/E

It has a 320x320 64k color screen. And I got a demo of Lemmings on it. Really cool. But after playing those 7 levels 3 times, it gets old.

It runs PalmOS (dunno which version though)
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Fezzik, that is one fantastic case you've got there! :)
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

It's a Rhinoskin case. They make some pretty cool stuff. The one I got is aluminum, but I think they make some out of titanium, too.