what other political forums do you troll?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Birdseye wrote:I welcome the republican posters here, and enjoy the dialog. It is a healthy thing. The last thing I want to do is sit around and talk to a bunch of people that agree with me.
I have to agree with Patrick -

"Sir, I do not agree with a word that you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it."
-P. Henry

Disagreement; it's the American way.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

You're thinking of Tallentyre's characterization of Voltaire. Patrick Henry said "give me liberty or give me death!"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Lothar wrote:You're thinking of Tallentyre's characterization of Voltaire. Patrick Henry said "give me liberty or give me death!"
Show off. :wink:
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Yeah, I'm showing off my mad Google sk1llz. ph34r m3.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Hey, to woodchip that *is* showing off.
KlubMarcus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KlubMarcus »

I posted on http://www.democraticunderground.com/ and they suspended my Login. Afterwards the Democrapic party lost the last round of elections. I wish I still had my Login because I would post this map.

http://www.bongonews.com/StoryImages/electoral_map.gif

MODERATOR NOTE: image direct-link removed. DON'T STEAL BANDWIDTH!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Democratic Underground is hilarious...
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

That map isn't as impressive as the red-state one that is by district.

There is however also a funny map that shows where major universities are in each district (hint: sligthly blue)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I'd like to see an overlay of a population density map and a county by county election result map. Amazing how farmers and the like vote heavily republican while the people in almost every major city in the country vote heavily democratic. Almost doesnt make any sense at all if you think about it.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Lothar wrote:You're thinking of Tallentyre's characterization of Voltaire. Patrick Henry said "give me liberty or give me death!"
Thanks for the correction! I'm sure there could be more where that came from. :oops:
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Birdseye wrote:That map isn't as impressive as the red-state one that is by district.

There is however also a funny map that shows where major universities are in each district (hint: sligthly blue)
I don't think anybody is surprised by that... universities tend to be:

1) located in cities, which are generally more liberal
2) more liberal than the rest of culture

We probably should avoid debating the reasons behind cities and universities being liberal. I'm sure we could come up with plenty that would reflect well or ill on liberals, but let's not...
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

As to the red / blue map, the students at those universities don't all come from, or live, in the blue states necessarily.
Also the average level of education of conservative voters is higher than their democrat counterparts and their average income is higher as well so don't think that the red state voters are all a bunch of uneducated rednecks.

What the map shows in my opinion is the concentrated areas of group-think mentality. The urban environment attracts and grows the entitlement mindset in both the victim type and the caretaker type. I'm still not sure if this is a sign of compassion or weakness in humans.
KlubMarcus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KlubMarcus »

Will Robinson wrote: What the map shows in my opinion is the concentrated areas of group-think mentality. The urban environment attracts and grows the entitlement mindset in both the victim type and the caretaker type. I'm still not sure if this is a sign of compassion or weakness in humans.
If you give a slob welfare, he can vote Democrapic and afford to live next to you in order to rob you. If you force him to get off his butt and get a job, then he complains about taxes and votes Repubublican.

If you keep the taxpayers on Social Insecurity they are subservient pensioners dependent on 'gubment cheese until the next SS crisis. If you give the taxpayers private accounts, they own and control the money and start thinking like businessmen which makes them vote Republican.

What are the Democraps (and Liberals) to do? :P
KlubMarcus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KlubMarcus »

Birdseye wrote: That map isn't as impressive as the red-state one that is by district.
Here's a county to county breakdown. Ah yes, obviously Bush did not get a Mandate. :wink:
http://images.usatoday.com/news/politic ... final2.gif

MODERATOR NOTE: image direct-link removed. DON'T STEAL BANDWIDTH!
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

KlubMarcus wrote:Ah yes, obviously Bush did not get a Mandate.
Well since rocks and dirt and trees don't vote that pretty map doesn't really tell much about the results.

Bush won by less than 3% in the popular vote and less than 7% in the electoral vote.

Or, if you are right and those figures do indicate a mandate, fortunately for us, Kerry's mandate was slightly smaller.

Now get out of my foxhole, you worry me son ;)
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

*Klaxon Alert!*
Bandwidth stealer!!11
We probably should avoid debating the reasons behind cities and universities being liberal. I'm sure we could come up with plenty that would reflect well or ill on liberals, but let's not...
Yeah. :P I've read a lot of theories on that, most of them on rightwing forums.

This is a more accurate county map.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

What do the black counties represent?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've seen another map height-adjusted based on population figures; obviously, the blue counties were significantly higher. The all-red map, while good for a joke, doesn't really mean squat. :P
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

KlubMarcus wrote: If you give a slob welfare ...? :P
... blah blah blah

*cough* *cough* >choke< ..wretch......
oh, must take a deep breath, after being subjected to all the dust from those sweeping generalizations...

You get the broom award, KM.

Just a comment - your aspersions might come across (might!) as a bit more pithy if you didn't use them constantly as substitutes for the word you intend, e.g democraps = democrats. Familiarity does breed contempt.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

KlubMarcus, if you want to be a conservative hack, at least bring better agitprop.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Skyalmian wrote:*Klaxon Alert!*
Bandwidth stealer!!11
Thanks for the heads up.
This [unquoted link] is a more accurate county map.
I was looking at one of the purple maps the other day, hoping to modify the colors somewhat. While the pure red/blue maps too strongly mark the differences, I think the purple too strongly covers them. A better map (from a statistical standpoint) would be one with white as pure neutral, and light blue / light red fading to darker colors as the area becomes less neutral. The purple is philosophically nice (shows how strongly mixed we are) but really obscures the underlying patterns.

Of course, the population-based map (with added height) would be nice to combine with that, as well.

Though... what does any of this have to do with what political forums we troll? I was at least hoping for a response or two to my on-topic post above...
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

You know who hijacked it, lothar. Altho for once it seems to have generated quasi-meaningful discussion rather than a flame war.

Statstical anomaly.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Also the average level of education of conservative voters is higher than their democrat counterparts and their average income is higher as well so don't think that the red state voters are all a bunch of uneducated rednecks.
True, Will. I admit to trolling on that one, it was fun to see the republicans come out and pick it apart ;)