Calif. school requires radio ID tags for students

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Calif. school requires radio ID tags for students

Post by Lobber »

dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Head 'em up, and move 'em out ...

rollin', rollin', rollin'..... rollin', rollin', rollin' ...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

As long as you're in school, you're their responsibility. If they find it easier to take responsibility for you by making you wear a transmitter, that's their business.

If you don't want to be under the control of your teachers / principal, homeschool.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Yet another one of the thousands of reasons I'm homeschooled...
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Stryker wrote:Yet another one of the thousands of reasons I'm homeschooled...
And it shows.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I see that getting hit very fast by a suit, and I'd be likely to side with the plaintiff. That just seems too...out there.
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Instig8 »

Yup. The transmitters should be implanted, imho.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

just wrap it in alfoil
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Dedman wrote:
Stryker wrote:Yet another one of the thousands of reasons I'm homeschooled...
And it shows.
haha, w3rd. On the subject matter, personally I'd boycott the school. Schools can't function if there are no students. If the state wants to come after you for truancy, let them go right ahead. They're not going to arrest every single student and charge them for being truant.

If all else fails, frankly, just move to another city/state/whatever. Doesn't surprise me that Cali would create/enforce something like this.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Oh look, another example of throwing money at a tech solution to the symptoms of a problem rather than the cause.

I like that they think requiring students to wear the ID tags and monitoring who enters the locker rooms is going to reduce vandalism. Like anybody who would do that sort of thing would leave their tags on. I suppose it helps catch the really stupid though.

Edit: I do think the main problem people have with this sort of thing (or at least in my case) is that they make you wear the ugly things around your neck. Gets in your way and doesn't suit the fashion-conscious? That's a recipe for disaster in high school. Now if they had the little belt clip on things with the retractable cord attached to the card like all the local tech companies have, that'll be cool.
KlubMarcus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KlubMarcus »

Lothar wrote: If you don't want to be under the control of your teachers / principal, homeschool.
People who homeschool or send their kids to private/parochial school should not have to pay taxes to pay for public schools. 8)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Yeah, it's kinda strange that way--my parents paid for 1.5 kids' education for every one kid that they educated. How does that work? They had to pay full price for a BUNCH of school materials for them to educate their own kids, and they pay taxes (which in Kansaa are rediculously biased towards schools--they don't have enough money to buy the school textbooks for some odd reason, yet they have enough $$ to import dirt from Arizona to make a new baseball field!). They also pay taxes to the schools on the books that they buy. Sheesh.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Just wait, someday soon the government is going to be injecting us with rfid tags.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

(Sorry about the slight bump... I've been mostly gone for a few days.)
Tetrad wrote:...throwing money at a tech solution to the symptoms of a problem rather than the cause.

I like that they think requiring students to wear the ID tags and monitoring who enters the locker rooms is going to reduce vandalism. Like anybody who would do that sort of thing would leave their tags on...
Agreed. The idea is based on the premise that the students will wear them as designed. They're teenagers! I've been both a teenager and a high school teacher... trust me, after the initial threat of suspension or whatever has worn off a bit, they'll find all kinds of ways to get around the electronics. I can think of at least eight or ten just off the top of my head.

The principal should just go back to the tried-and-true method of having teachers take attendance, security (or whomever) manning the hallways, and keeping the "no students allowed" areas locked off. Electronic tags can't substitute for the crucial point: maintaining students' accountability for being in class during class.
Tetrad wrote:...Now if they had the little belt clip on things with the retractable cord attached to the card like all the local tech companies have, that'll be cool.
That still has most of the same weaknesses as the neck-worn tags, but I agree that the students would accept it more readily.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Avder wrote:Just wait, someday soon the government is going to be injecting us with rfid tags.
What's wrong with that?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Dedman wrote:
Avder wrote:Just wait, someday soon the government is going to be injecting us with rfid tags.
What's wrong with that?
Jeez, Dedman, do you have some personal vendetta against the Bill of Rights? First the sterilization, now this...you're starting to scare me.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Top Gun wrote:
Dedman wrote:
What's wrong with that?
Jeez, Dedman, do you have some personal vendetta against the Bill of Rights? First the sterilization, now this...you're starting to scare me.
That one was a joke bubba :lol: Simmer down.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hehe :P I'm actually not against the subcutaneous RFID tag idea in principle; I just want it to be completely voluntary. I'd opt out myself.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Foil wrote:
Tetrad wrote:...Now if they had the little belt clip on things with the retractable cord attached to the card like all the local tech companies have, that'll be cool.
That still has most of the same weaknesses as the neck-worn tags, but I agree that the students would accept it more readily.
argh, i hurt myself with these things enough as an adult (have a habit of swinging them around, I ARE NINJA!). a school full of students would kill eachother with them.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Tis a done deal now the company pulled out...

Story
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

oh no, the terrorists have won
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

"Any kind of new technology has the potential for misuse, but I feel confident the school is not going to misuse it."

Haha, another bovine. Of COURSE they woulnd't misuse it! Why..people in government are ethical, moral, responsible people!...pffft. What a dope.