Help Me Please

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

13Lucky13
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Help Me Please

Post by 13Lucky13 »

I was a long time player of Descent 3. Some of you may have known me as Tri-Fusion. I took a break from Descent for quite a while, a matter of months. I got a D3 craving :D the other day, so I loaded it up. When I clicked on Multi-Player, extra excited, the "Connecting to PXO" box was on the screen. It did not go away until the "Unable to connect to PXO" message showed up. I was pissed. I have a perfectly OK Dsl connection, so I do not know what the problem could be. Is D3 Multiplayer still up, and if it is, what the hell is up with my comp? Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Destiny777
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Destiny777 »

It's not you... the main chat server is down permanently it seems. Some still meet and play D3 online.

:o
13Lucky13
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by 13Lucky13 »

does this mean that you cant access public games through chat? or otherwise how do you access public games? is it still possible? or do you just have to do lans or ip games... please i hope im wrong.
13Lucky13
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by 13Lucky13 »

this did not help me at all :( the box still shows connecting to pxo until it says cannot connect.

destiny777 can u answer my previous?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

ah, where would net gaming be if people had to play games the way we used to in the mid-90s :roll:

To quote myself from a previous thread here...
Tyranny wrote:'m shocked PD doesn't have Vortex available to download. Thats all you really need. http://www.slyclan.de/

Has a built in tracker, ircchat, all you have to do is fill in the information in the various sections in the "settings" dialog that comes up and then setup what you want your screename to be in chat. It's all pretty self explanitory. Make sure to setup your D3 directory path on the D3 Settings section under "Descent" so it will run the game.

Once you get that all setup and get in chat theres a button called "D3 Serverlist". Make sure the program isn't maximized or you wont see the window that comes up listing all the games. Pick a server with people on it and you can right click and a dialog will come up and give you options on what you want to do.

Mostly you'd pick "Join Game" :wink:.
Enjoy.
13Lucky13
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by 13Lucky13 »

sorry if i sound mean, but it that a no? im really excited for some descent, and i cant get a straight answer. Do you have to like call ppl up for ip games or what? there is no pub chat for pub gaming? all i need is a yes, there is pub games something is wrong with your comp, or no, there isnt pub games you gotta do it somehow else.

if the latter is true, is ther any way to get into public games? D3 has lost all its appeal if you have to organize games.

i pray i am wrong, but all i need is 1 answer and ill stfu.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Lucky:

As the other thread says, "pxo chat is dead". PXO doesn't exist any more. This means you can't play online using PXO. You cannot connect because PXO doesn't exist. You have to use a different system.

The easiest way to play online is to download Vortex. The thread you were linked to (that you said didn't help) actually lists at least 5 ways to play online, any of which you can use, but Vortex is probably the easiest.

To a mod:

You may want to edit the first post in that thread with a simple announcement that says "PXO no longer exists, so here are alternative ways to play online" in order to avoid this sort of confusion.
13Lucky13
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by 13Lucky13 »

Thank you Lothar! sorry i was being such a b1tchy newb. i was just pissed if pxo chat was dead, and you spelled it out clearly enough to get it through my head. thank you! i will try out vortex.

o, and ill probably post any problems i have with it here :D
13Lucky13
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by 13Lucky13 »

ill ask about this later
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Like my post didn't have what you already needed to get started :roll:

It might have helped if you had read what was in my quote (Basically a complete summary of what you needed, that being Vortex) as it would seem you skimmed over it. I'm sorry if I come off rude, but if "straight to the point" doesn't work I tend to lose patience. I'm all for helping people but only up to a point (Nearly a half decade running a D1/D2 clan strained my n00b tolerance threshold :P).

Sometimes it's hard to step back and remember what it was like not knowing anything about PC gaming and the net. Hopefully this has atleast gotten you on the right path to play D3 again.

btw, thanks for being level headed Lothar.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Well, Tyr, your quote had everything he needed except the reason -- nowhere does it say "PXO is completely gone so you need to use an alternative." We've all been aware of it for so long that we forget others might not know...
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

True, but if he had actually read Pugwash's post from the link Tetrad provided in it's entirety he would have gotten his answer "PXO chat is dead". Someone in this thread already mentioned it once as well. I know even the best of us tend not to READ everything sometimes but gosh darn it, READ! :p

Hell, I wasn't even online much at the time PXO finally kicked it and even I knew it was dead :P
13Lucky13
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by 13Lucky13 »

well guys, just wanna say thanks

sorry tyranny, i guess i was out of it or something. sorry for being noobish

just wanna say thanks again lothar, 3rd day of d3 in about a year and still pwnin

anyways, im workin good and happy. thank you both for your help