Descent 3 LAN Party?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

What do you think about Descent 3 LAN Parties?

They're great! I just wish there were more
82%
They are fun, but there are already too many
No votes
They suck!
13%
What's a LAN Party??
3%
Other (I'll post my opinion in a reply)
3%

Total votes: 39
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 3 LAN Party?

Post by Angel of Death »

I know that it's been a few years since the last Descent LAN party in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Who would be interested in attending another?

â?¢ Approximately 24 - 200 players can be hosted
â?¢ Attendees have a say in how the event is run (ie dates it will be held, game-types played, tournament types and rules, refreshments served, etc.)
â?¢ Tournaments and Prizes
â?¢ Free food and drink
â?¢ Get together with friends you haven't seen in years

If you're interested, then reply to this, send an e-mail to LAN_Gaming@LightningLAN.com, and/or visit www.LightningLAN.com for more information.
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Ok, I went over to your site to see what's up, I have a few questions:

1) Have you ever hosted a LAN?

2) If Yes to #1, how many attendees and how many times?

3) Do you have any network hardware besides the Game Server listed on your site?

4)What kind of switching hardware are you using (or renting) and what's the capacity of the equipment?

Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

Pugwash wrote:I posted
llClutchll wrote:Ok, I went over to your site to see what's up, I have a few questions
(1) Yes.

(2) Several times, I've hosted small, private gatherings of no more than 8 people.

(3) Yes. I have access to 3 other systems that can act as servers, as well as some of the cables, extension cords, power strips, and UPSs. I also have the money it will take to purchase all of the additional hardware (between one and six switches with around 52 ports -depending upon the size of the event-, all of the cables, etc.). Since I'm just getting started, and that will be a sizeable investment, I need to see some interest from the community. If I bought everything, it could take a really long time just to break even with only 8 players...lol. I anticipate a minimum of one month to schedule the first event, because people need time to arrange their schedules. I foresee no problem with acquiring and testing all of the equipment, in that time-frame.

(4) As of now, two of the switches that I am considering are the D-Link DES-1250G Web Smart 48-Port 10/100 + 2 Gig Switch and the Trendnet TEG-2248WS 52-Port Gigabit Web-Based Smart Switch. I'm open to suggestions about other switches and/or configurations. I know that there are some very network savvy people in these forums.

It's nice to see that some people are taking the time to investigate what I'm offering :) I hope that you like what you find. If you have any questions, comments, or complaints, please voice them. It's tough to make changes for improvement, unless I know of the need.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

Is this Descent1, 2, 3, or all or some of them? Personally, I play all of them and Pittsburg is not too far for me to go for a LAN. I could bring along a friend of mine(Shadowfox) also, but in order for me to do this, I'd need some more hardcore descenters to come out like what happened at chilan.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Pittsburgh is only a 2-1/2 hour drive for me, so if you guys want to have a LAN there you know I'll come :D
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

given the discouraging lack of enthusiasm for a repeat of last year's LAN fest in Chicago, I wish you good luck. You're going to need it.

I will definately attend a LARGE Descent lan.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'm from eastern PA myself. If I had any means of getting out there, the free time to do it, and a much less severe case of social anxiety, I might be able to make it out there. Don't count on me, though. :P
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

I'm right outside Pittsburgh so you know I'll be there and I can help with setup and stuff if you need it.:)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

being from cleveland i hate shitsburgh ;)

but i'd lan there if it were in the summer.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

Jesus Freak wrote:Is this Descent1, 2, 3, or all or some of them?
All of them can be played at the event, but I'm thinking about holding a tournament for only Descent 3. It's important to me to provide some worthwhile prizes, and I don't think it would be economically feasible to have "good" prizes for all three games.
kurupt wrote:i'd lan there if it were in the summer
Considering how long it usually takes to get every thing organized, I anticipate that this won't happen until May or June. If I'm wrong, then I'll just hope for good weather on the weekend that is chosen :)

To every one who has posted replies, I appreciate the interest and support. I know that organizing and hosting such events is a serious challenge, but it'll be well worth it :D
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I could be interested. There'd be no way I would make it before the middle of May, and after that things are questionable, but if I could make it, I would make the trip.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

DarkShadow wrote:I'm right outside Pittsburgh so you know I'll be there and I can help with setup and stuff if you need it.:)
I'm sorry that I didn't reply to you during my last visit. Apparently, my eyesight isn't as good as it could be :oops: If I've overlooked any posts, with questions or comments, that require an answer, then will some one please hit me over the head with them??

Thank you for the offer :) I am definitely open to help from volunteers. I'm sure that we can come to some sort of arrangement (i.e. decreased entrance fee, free food and drink, or some thing).
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

It seems like there are still a fair number of active Descent players, and some of them might be able to attend a LAN in Pittsburgh. From what I have seen, thus far, I don't know if there would be enough people to call it a "large" party. Even if I include some local friends, who don't normally play much Descent, the numbers would probably be in the mid-20s.

So, here are my next questions:

(1) Should one (or more) other game(s) be combined with Descent, to generate more interest/attendance?

(2) If yes to #1, then what game(s) would make the most sense?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

KompresZor wrote:Pittsburgh is only a 2-1/2 hour drive for me, so if you guys want to have a LAN there you know I'll come :D
Want company? :)

AoD, ~20 is fine, really. Actually, that ensures everyone plays everyone the whole time.

Somebody tell Tyrant this time... :idea:
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Testiculese wrote:Somebody tell Tyrant this time... :idea:
haha.
i remember that pilot. he made his mark in amature arena like all the other 80% pilots. the clowns that would leave a game because you got a few lucky hits on them. the ones who who were really good but were obsessed with the numbers game.

the ones that wasted their lives being 80% pilots... anyone can tell you that just isn't possible unless you are working the system like some trailer park welfare freebie leech. i hope they enjoy their rank because it's worth less than my "get a free taco when you buy 10" punch card from a small bizness owner around here.

it used to matter when i was a delusional drunk. but now i can't see it. i only see sunglasses when i awake like a hobo. i see children. i see uselessness. i see APATHY!!!
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

It's a full day of driving for me to get there, but I will show up also.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

I'm hesitant to commit, since I stopped playing a while back. On the other hand, I'm back on the east coast now and it would be good to see some folks like Testi. So I'll hedge my bets and say "probably." By the way, I'd have to be allowed to have some beers while LANning...

As for other games, I'll bet a lot of us would play Halo. And of course D1 and D2.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Beers? I'd be buying LI teas, if anything :)
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

I know that it'll be quite a trip for some of you, and I want to say that I appreciate the effort. I'll do my best to make it worth your time and trouble :)

So, we have one vote for Halo. I can do that. Are there any other suggestions? Keep in mind that any game can be played, if some one wants to start an in-game server on his/her computer.

As for alcoholic beverages in the LAN, I would prefer that people keep coolers in their rooms/cars. I'm concerned about liability for any alcohol-related problems/accidents. Also, I will have to see if adult beverages are allowed by the policy of which ever location is chosen. I enjoy the occasional rum and coke, so I'm not opposed to drinking. I am opposed to being sued, though :o
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i'm all in favor of halo. my favorite game next to descent.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

how about having one in or near California?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

AoD, you'll find that (since Sandmann no longer plays) D3'ers are pretty relaxed, and a little bit of alcohol doesn't do much but generate louder laughter. Of all the LAN parties I've been to, nobody's stuff ever got broken (Tho' I was waiting for Rock to throw Sandy over a few machines, glad Rock has sense :))
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

It seems like there is some interest, here and among my friends in the Pittsburgh area, in Halo. It's a combination that makes some sense. So, combining them into one LAN is the new plan.
Xamindar wrote:how about having one in or near California?
If you mean the state of CA, I would love to do that. It seems like LANs are a lot more popular, out there. I have a cousin who lives in Hollywood, so it's some thing to think about, for the future. Right now, I need to concentrate on getting things started in PA.
If you meant California, PA (yes, there is such a place), then that's a different story. A University is located there, so maybe we could get enough interest, within a shorter period of time.
Testiculese wrote:Of all the LAN parties I've been to, nobody's stuff ever got broken
I guess that liability is the reason for waivers...LOL.
I won't be serving any alcoholic beverages, but I will try to find a place that permits them.

I want to start locally advertising, as well as making final decisions about location, finding bargains on hotel rooms, looking for discounts from pizza places, getting sponsors for prizes, etc., so let's try to narrow this down to a particular weekend.
I'm open to other dates, but can we settle on one of the following weekends?

May 21 & 22
May 28 & 29
or
June 4 & 5

I wish that I could put this up as a poll, without starting a whole new thread.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

So what, start a new topic. Include an "Any of the above" option.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

Angel of Death wrote: I have a cousin who lives in Hollywood, so it's some thing to think about, for the future.
oh dear god plz host a lan here ;p
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

The poll for when to hold the party is posted under the title "Pittsburgh Descent/Halo LAN Scheduling", and can be found here: www.descentbb.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=100544#100544
Zero! wrote:oh dear god plz host a lan here ;p
Now, you're just teasing me :P

Isn't/wasn't there a yearly Descent LAN held in CA? My memory isn't the best, so I might have it confused.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

califest was hosted once a year but they dont do that no more cuz of money problems :(
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Stickied. Lets keep the other thread on the topic of scheduling and all other discussion in this thread.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

Zero, that's too bad about Califest :(
I guess that I do remember hearing something about it happening for three years, then it came to a sudden halt.
Maybe, someone needs to pick it back up, again.
At the least, I would love to be involved in making it happen. It would be tough to do all of the necessary leg-work, prior to the event, when I live so far away. I could come out for a week or two, but there's no way to get everything done in that amount of time. If any of you decide to give it a try in CA, let me know.

Thanks to punisher for the sticky :)
...and the reminder about staying on-topic is noted.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Anything happening here?
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

motels

Post by Jesus Freak »

Can you give any information about the cheapest places to stay in the area? I really like Motel 6...
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: motels

Post by Angel of Death »

Jesus Freak wrote:Can you give any information about the cheapest places to stay in the area?
I will definitely post information about hotels/motels, restaurants, things for children/families to do in the area (if anyone wants that), directions, what you need to bring, etc.

Unfortunately, most of that has to wait until I have a general idea of how many people will be attending, because that will determine exactly which location is used. I don't want to spend $700/day on a hall, with a capacity of 200+, if only 25 people register.

On the bright side, I will also do my best to get discounted room rates from the nearest hotel/motel!