Happy Holidays

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

woodchip wrote:Not exactly true. Starting from my perspective way back in the fifties, Christmas advertising didn't really get started until after Thanksgiving. Displays for Christmas weren't put up until December and Thanksgiving was treated as it's own special season. Now we have Christmas displays going up in October and Thanksgiving is just a day to stuff yourself in preparation for Black Friday. While looking from year to year won't make the trend apparent, looking back a few decades will present a different perspective.
You're old enough to have that perspective though. In 24 years I've only seen a slight increase in the way the holiday season has been handled as far as marketing is concerned. Since that age range is generally where most DBBers fall, that would explain why nobody really debated that point. Which is all I was saying.

I know full well it hasn't "always" been that way. My parents were both born in the 50s, so they've noticed and expressed their opinions on how things have changed. In that regard I have their perspective. Well, atleast aware of that perspective.
woodchip wrote:Such as a minority of people forcing the removal of nativity scenes from public property or even the removal of the ten commandments from a certain courthouse. The trend in P.C. is if you can't protect everyones feelings then remove anything that the majority may want...just to be on the safe side.
Yep...exactly.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

DCrazy wrote:Happy Angst-Filled Reactionary Whinefest to you too, Vertigo. :roll:
Should see a doctor about your broken funny bone.

My only question is how the f*ck did it get in your a*s?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Get Michael Moore's bone out of your a.ss; then we'll talk. ;) [spoiler]You're right, I seem to be lacking in funny...[/spoiler]

I'm in an interesting situation. My girlfriend is Jewish and I'm Catholic. Neither one of us is religious at all. For all intents and purposes this is "Christmas" for both of us, in the strictly commercial sense.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

ooh there dcrazy, i just saw you yank that bone out a bit :P

seriously tho; im not angsty in the least, and my post was not originally meant to be an attack on people that say merry xmas (i honestly couldnt care less if they did) as much as it was just supposed to be silly