Senator Al Franken

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Kilarin wrote:condoms still have a 2% failure rate. If someone using condoms has sex once a week, they can expect about one broken condom a year.
It's not that 2% of condoms fail, but rather, over the course of a year about 2% of normally sexually active people who use them perfectly will have one failure. That rate jumps to 15% or more for "typical" people -- most people don't use them perfectly every time. Which is really important information for people who are or will be sexually active to be aware of.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

they also offer about 0% disease protection realistically.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

I dunno dude, I've had some pretty scary next mornings that lead to nothing thanks to my good buddy Durex...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

disease gestation can be 3 months to 20 years depending on the bug.

You may not be \"home free\". Testing isn't 100% either.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Lothar wrote:It's not that 2% of condoms fail, but rather, over the course of a year about 2% of normally sexually active people who use them perfectly will have one failure.
Hmmm, you are right, I should have done my research on condom breakage rate instead of failure rate. BUT, when I did look up breakage rate this was the first link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8070546
Data on condom breakage and slippage from a nationally representative survey show that the average condom breakage rate experienced by 20-39-year-old men who have used a condom in the preceding six months was 2.7%, and that 1.9% of all condoms used during that time broke. Comparable condom slippage rates are 2.7% and 2.0%, respectively. Condom breakage and slippage appear to be 4-5 times higher among black men than among men of other races. Levels of breakage and slippage are also elevated among low-income men and those who used condoms relatively infrequently in the six months before the survey. The data also indicate that men who engage in high-risk sexual behavior, such as having multiple partners and engaging in anal intercourse, are more likely to experience condom breakage and slippage.

PIP: Interviews with 3321 US men ages 20-39 years who were part of the 1991 National Survey of Men identified a 1.9% breakage rate per condom in the 6 months preceding the survey. The 1226 respondents who reported condom use during the study period were more likely than their nonuser counterparts to be Black, Hispanic, unmarried, and under 35 years of age. The number of condoms used in the preceding 6 months among these men was: 1-9, 47.4%; 10-19, 19.4%; and 20 or over, 33.2%. Most were lubricated latex condoms. The 1.9% breakage rate per condom used was derived by dividing the total number of condoms that broke by the total number of condoms used. Also computed was a 2.7% breakage rate per person--a statistic based on separate computations for each respondent rather than the population as a whole. The per condom slippage rate was 2.0%; the per person slippage rate was 2.7%. The per person breakage rate was 8.3% among Black men compared to 1.6% for non-Blacks; the per person slippage rate was 7.6% for Black respondents compared to 1.8% for all other men. Men with annual incomes under US$10,000 had a 5.8% breakage rate compared to rates of 1.0-1.8% for those in higher brackets. The average breakage rate was 3.7% among men who used under 10 condoms in the study period versus 1.7% among those who used 10 or more condoms. The slippage rate was 3.3% for men who used under 10 condoms, 2.9% among users of 10-19 condoms, and 1.9% if 20 or more condoms had been used. The breakage rate was 11.5% among men with two or more sexual partners in the previous month compared to 2.2% among men with a single partner. Finally, breakage rates were higher among men who preferred condom brands containing a nonspermicidal lubricant.
So, it looks like breakage rates, IF we trust that the people interviewed remembered their numbers correctly, are still pretty high, close to and even over 2% (depending on population). And if you consider slippage, way over. It never occurred to me that condom failure would vary so greatly among different populations. I need to do some more research and see how reliable these numbers actually are.
Duper wrote:they also offer about 0% disease protection realistically.
Not by the numbers I've seen. using condoms is not safe, but it does REDUCE the risks of disease significantly. At least on any particular time it's used.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Lol @ Condom breakage broken down by income & race. Thanks for the laugh.

Did they factor in the “the b!tch got pregnant, better say I wore a condom, but it broke” factor?
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Hmm....not quite sure how this thread got to be about condom failure rates, but anyway, bumping it for the near conclusion...

Court declares Franken the winner of Minnesota Senate race
Minnesota's Supreme Court has dismissed former Sen. Norm Coleman's challenge to the state's November election results and declared Democratic challenger Al Franken the winner.

Minnesota's Supreme Court ruled that Democrat Al Franken won the Minnesota Senate race.

The court's unanimous, unsigned opinion declared that Franken \"received the highest number of votes legally cast\" and is entitled \"to receive the certificate of election as United States senator from the state of Minnesota.\"

If the ruling brings an end to seven months of challenges by Coleman, Franken would become the 60th member of the Senate Democratic caucus, a move that gives the party a filibuster-proof majority in the chamber, at least on paper.

The former \"Saturday Night Live\" writer and performer had declared victory in the disputed race after a recount ended in January, but Coleman, a Republican who had been seeking a second six-year term, went to court to challenge those results.

Coleman led Franken on election night by a margin of 206 votes out of more than 2.9 million cast. The margin was narrow enough to trigger a recount, however, and that process ended in January with Franken leading by 225 votes.

Coleman still could attempt to take the challenge to federal courts. But Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a Republican, told CNN on Sunday that he would sign Franken's election certificate if the state Supreme Court declared him the winner.
link
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Gooberman wrote:Hmm....not quite sure how this thread got to be about condom failure rates, but anyway, bumping it for the near conclusion...

Court declares Franken the winner of Minnesota Senate race.
That's an easy one. Franken is a total dick so condom is bound to come to mind. I picture a heavy duty one stretched down below his chin and held tight with a zip tie...
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

LOL, Minnesota.

Hey, now there might be something unintentional comedy to watch on CSPAN.