You're an Elitist if .....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

You're an Elitist if .....

Post by Duper »

It seems that Ben Shapiro has his finger on the heart beat of what it is to be an \"elitist\".

This is a great read. Take a couple of minutes to read through this tongue-in-cheek column. :lol:
Praetorian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Praetorian »

Jeff Foxworthy gets into everything.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

My own commentary on \"elitism\": I think some people take issue with the idea that someone who is smarter* than them is better than them (all things being equal).

Sure, just because someone has different values than you doesn't entail that you are smarter than that person or better than that person (I think that this is what the article was trying to point out). So if that is all you mean by \"elitist,\" someone who espouses that false view, then sure, haha @ the elitists.

But there is a much more real controversy going on here too. And that is whether someone being genuinely smarter* than you makes them better than you. Or is this not controversial and everyone agrees with this?

* \"smart\" intentionally left undefined, but it is probably just pluralistic enough to complicate the matter...
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Damn, I failed that test miserably.

BTW, what does Elitism have to do with smarts? :roll: (yes, I looked it up)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Ah, so then you already know that elitism is the \"belief that certain persons... deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.\" So that answers your question.

The question that I am raising is that if someone thought that they were better than you because they were genuinely smarter than you, could they ever be right? It seems to me that the whole idea of accusing someone of being an elitist is that 1) they think that they are better than you but also that 2) this is wrong. But is the second part always the case?
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: You're an Elitist if .....

Post by Dakatsu »

Duper wrote:It seems that Ben Shapiro has his finger on the heart beat of what it is to be an "elitist".

This is a great read. Take a couple of minutes to read through this tongue-in-cheek column. :lol:
Translation: if you hold liberal political views you are an elitist?

It didn't talk anything about elitism, which is clearly defined at this wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The only thing that makes one person better than another is…behavior…period. Looks ,wealth, brains etc have no bearing on whether someone is better than someone else. (unless you are very shallow)

……………………

Ok, I’ll give you that one because our dictionaries differ.

Elitism

1. belief in concept of superiority: the belief that some people or things are inherently superior to others and deserve preeminence, preferential treatment, or higher rewards because of their superiority

That wiki article says that just about anything one can imagine can be used as a reason to be elite, therefore brains are just one of the many things, that a person can be hung up on. So singling it out, speaks to a mindset.

………………..

Dakatsu, did you even read it?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Spidey, Dak needs to take a class in sarcasm.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Spidey wrote:The only thing that makes one person better than another is…behavior…period. Looks ,wealth, brains etc have no bearing on whether someone is better than someone else. (unless you are very shallow)

Bravo.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Spidey wrote:Dakatsu, did you even read it?
Read the entire thing, start to end.
Duper wrote:Spidey, Dak needs to take a class in sarcasm.
Acutally, I'm often criticized for being too sarcastic.

Your elitist if you say anyone who abuses medication should be put into prison, but get busted for Oxycontin.

Your elitist if you believe every rich person deserves all their money, but people on welfare are just "abusing the system".

Your elitist if you believe every news organization is liberally biased, but you listen to Fox News and Rush Limbaugh every day.

Those are just a few of the ones I could come up with.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

if you only read and/or post on ONE DescentBB.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

You are an elitist if you think all 'smart' people are evil.
Just because anyone can pull the same level of 'intelligence' out of their underutilized brain as the average chump high-school dropout working hard at a job full of menial tasks does not make the average chump high-school dropout or someone equally unintelligent a superior person.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

You're and elitist if you preach about global warming but then prevent wind generators from being built where you might see them because you are rich and politically powerful.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Dakatsu wrote:Your elitist if you believe every rich person deserves all their money, but people on welfare are just "abusing the system"...
You're an elitist if you think you have a right to declare money that lawfully belongs to one person must be surrendered and given to another simply because you see a disparity in the wealth between them.

You're an elitist pimp if you manipulate ignorant and stupid people to vote for you so you can enforce your redistribution of wealth.

You're an elitist asshat and scumbag if you hide the truth and call it journalism so you can help an elitist pimp gain power to enforce his will upon all the people because you support him as your political candidate of choice.

You are an elitist ego maniac and sociopath if you think your political dissent is license to bomb your fellow citizens if they oppose your positions...even if you also escape justice on a technicality and later land a job at a university.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

AlphaDoG wrote:if you only read and/or post on ONE DescentBB.
You're an elitist if you think a game that is hardly ever played anymore deserves more than one BB. ;)