A Salve for Mid-winter Blues

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

A Salve for Mid-winter Blues

Post by woodchip »

My daughter and I took a excursion to the Detroit Zoo and whittled away at the cold afternoon by taking pics in the butterfly house and the bird house. Here are a couple of the better ones:

This blue butterfly looked pearly white just a hint of iridescent blue. The flash brought out the deeper blue. Considering the pure white background I'm surprised at how well it turned out:

The next two are the same butterfly. Curious how in the folded wing position he liked to perch where the water was flowing down the side of the display container:

One my daughter took (same camera):

Another one my daughter took and she shamed me badly as my attempts at hummingbirds in flight were abysmal:

Camera is a Nikon D80 with the package 70-210 zoom lens. There was a time I didn't think much of digital photography but I have since changed my mind. The blue on white butterfly I set as background on my Samsung 26\" monitor. Detail is still crisp.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Good pics woodchip. I wish we had those here flying around here. It's almost 60 degrees outside right now in the middle of February, no less, and we're getting THESE irritating bugs in droves! In some places they're covering everything! ICK!

Boxelder Bugs
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

That is a good one of the hummingbird. Nice pics!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Would be great to have it scale to the browser width, but that hummingbird shot is really impressive.
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

Agreed with Sirius: GREAT pics, but they don't fit on my screen, especially if ur using a netbook...

Next time do it this way:

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

EngDrewman wrote:Agreed with Sirius: GREAT pics, but they don't fit on my screen, especially if ur using a netbook...

Next time do it this way:

x2
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ah, didn't realize the add image feature was part of the forum. :oops:

And TC, I know very well what pests box elder bugs can be. When I was a kid, we had two big box elder trees in the front yard. Great to play in. One year we had a infestation of the bugs and consequently the trees had to be cut down.