Just passing by

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Just passing by

Post by Ford Prefect »

Hey there all you Descent fanatics. It's been literally years since I looked in on this forum. It all became a bit too US-centric for this Canuck but I always enjoyed the civil and intelligent level of debate. I was sitting around with my sons yesterday and the topic of video games came up and eventually my eldest showed me the Good Old Games site where you can purchase Descent3 for $10 ported for Windows 7. Or so they say. There were reviews there from 2008 from people I probably played against at some time. I have never had as much fun with a game as when I played D3 on line, I laughed out loud almost every time.
Anyway that brought this forum to mind and I figured I would stop by and just say a quick hello. Interesting to see so many names I recognize still using this place. I should dig back a bit in the archives for a thread I started just before I stopped visiting where I posted the possibility of a US president with a name like Barrack Hussein Obama who was getting a bit of press at the time as a possible nominee. I seem to recall a lot of "That will never happen" kind of posts. :lol:
Keep well old friends. I'll have a look back at this thread in a day or two but I think I will remain a past poster, life has moved on a bit. Next week is my 62nd birthday.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Just passing by

Post by Spidey »

Yo, Ford…

Sorry to hear you don’t intend to stick around, you were always one to engage in honest debate…and I sure do miss that!

Stay Well
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Never to old to visit this forum. Have a great one.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I don't know you, but have an octopus anyway: :E
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Good to see you.

Seeing old familiar faces drop by from time to time makes it worth keeping this place running. :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Good to see you, Ford! Feel free to stick around - perhaps you can alleviate some of that US-centrism.... :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I barely remember you Ford, but I like the Canucks, so hello there and welcome back, even if my creaky old brain tends to forget people. Your welcome to keep on coming back here and refresh the arena from time to time. And by the way, the B.C. area is gorgeous. Reminds me of Oregon, wet, rainy and green with big, beautiful conifers and lots of ocean air.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Hello again to you all. Thanks for the warm welcome and for the octopus :roll: And a special thanks to you Krom for keeping the doors open. Somehow I suspect that there is much more time spent on this board than in the tunnels these days. If I find a topic or a tidbit of information that seems like it would be of special interest here I'll bring it back and stick it up for comment. Bitcoins, NSA snoops, Higgs bosons, rovers on Mars, private spacecraft and aircraft power by the sun. It's a wonderful if somewhat strange world and some things need to be shared. Like this little Youtube instructional video. All you men here can learn a bit from this.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

LOL!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Ford Prefect wrote:All you men here can learn a bit from this.
I'm an engineer, and at the core a puzzle solver. I couldn't live with that.

I'm actually a good listener, because I listen to gather data to solve the puzzle. I also generally see the puzzle in the context of human emotion/interaction/instinct, so I also usually handle suggesting solutions in a gentle/careful way. But... I've got no time for people who want to come to me and whine about their problems yet reject good, sound advice/solutions that I may have to offer. If you want to express your problems to me great - but if you want to come and complain over and over again without trying to do anything about alleviating the cause don't waste my time. (Don't get me wrong, I'm patient with my wife... but she also doesn't outright reject my comments/suggestions.)
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Women could stand to learn something from it too. :wink:

But I think this best applies to Americans in general:
Modified version of a London Times Obit originally attributed to Lori Borgman wrote:Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens
suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;

I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

tunnelcat wrote:
Women could stand to learn something from it too. :wink:
Yup. And the rule, in a nutshell is: Men don't like to know about a problem and let it sit there. Subsection; Fix it yourself if you don't want help.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Hey! welcome back Ford ...even if it is from the dead. ;D

Happy Birthday and teach those kids and Grandkids how to Trichord properly!!